Extremely Sick Baby Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonkat13

hi, I am new here. I am new to forums honestly. But let me get to the point.

New bearded dragon parent and I got him Wed. October 28th, so just a little over a week he has been with me. Originally he was a petsmart baby. He is only 9 grams, maybe 2 months old no more than 3.

He has the proper setup, I had some issues with getting the temps right but they quickly were regulated. he didn't show interest in food when I got him home, nor for the first week...then all of a sudden he wanted crickets and was eating. SO I thought it was just a new home and stress for the reason he wasn't wanting to eat. I tried everything I could think of that first week, without stressing him out too much.

On Wednesday he ate crickets. The 4th. Thursday afternoon/evening...I kept hearing a cricket like chirp and realized it was him, opening his mouth and doing it. Like he was choking. I was worried he had a URI immediately....I got him into the vet the next day at a very amazing exotic care hospital in Raleigh. He had a fecal, xrays and they showed signs of bacteria in the fecal, so he is on metronidazole .2 ccs every 48 hours. Then his lungs showed inflammation and they verified it was a URI and not any other abnormality.... he is on baytril and meloxicam both, also .2 ccs every 48 hours. They also have me feeding him OXBOW critical care diet, .2 cc's every 8 hours.

yesterday he was at least able to hold his own and bask, he kept his eyes shut and today he has been on the bottom of the tank ether propping himself vertically against the glass and sleeping, or laying on his little towel I put in there for him. He is lifeless mostly and while no longer making that chirping cough, he is opening his mouth often gasping. I am not sure what else I can do, or if there is little hope. I am here hoping for advice, your stories, and just some comfort. I am very upset by this and I think honestly he was sick when I got him, but since I thought he was just adjusting to a new home....I didn't recognize it as such. I do think I heard him making that chirping sound a couple days after getting him home. But I can't be sure as I didn't see it.

His basking was 105-110 and his cool side did drop to 70 but I have been keeping it to 80-85 right now. He also has a UVB of course and I am going to try to give him a little pedialyte.
thank you guys for any help, little Ollie says thank you also.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh so sorry, Ollie does sound very ill right now. He probably did have some worms or parasite
issues when you brought him home, from relocation stress but usually that corrects itself in a
couple of weeks' time.
The crickets, were they tiny ones, smaller than the space between his eyes, to avoid any type
of impaction issues?
He is most likely overmedicated. The baytril is a harsh agent on them, especially at his size
& age. Honestly, my recommendation at the moment, is to take him off of all medications, as
soon as possible & just boost his basking another 1-2 degrees, but not too much more than
that. I am glad you raised his cooler end temperatures some. Try to keep his tank around
75-80F overnight as well, to boost his system. Are you using a digital probe or temp gun to
measure the temperatures?
Could he have aspirated any food or fluids?
Try to get some fluids into him, carefully a few times per day. You can also try giving a few
drops of raw, unpasteurized honey, mixed in with some warm water or pedialyte to help with
bacterial issues.
Which UVB lights are you using right now?
Please post some pictures of his setup just so we can see the arrangement. You can post
some of Ollie, if you would like.

Let us know how he is doing, we will help as much as we can.
Tracie

dragonkat13

Original Poster
full

thank you for replying to me, it was shortly after posting this that I went to check on little Ollie and give him some pedialyte and he had passed away already.
I wasn't sure how to delete or close the discussion on this post, as I am unfamiliar with the forum.

But just to answer some of those questions in case it helps someone else in the future who reads this.
He had a type of bacteria they said was common in new bearded baby dragons when moved to new homes, and that was causing the bloating and prob gastro upset/pain and they gave metronidazole.
The URI was diagnosed by obvious symptoms and his xray. The xray showed nothing else abnormal.
He took a steep downhill turn after the vet visit and was lifeless almost with no energy within 12 hours. If he did have some energy, it was very little.

I know he was tiny, but I trust the vet that I took him to, did not over dose him...however he was very small and fragile. SO I am certain it was indeed harsh on him, the medicine did stop him from coughing, but he was still gasping.

I use Avian and Exotic vet in Raleigh, NC if anyone wants to check out their website.

I wish I could have saved him, and now I am completely devastated and not sure I could ever have another one. I had only had him for a little over a week and found out he was originally a petsmart lizard. So I am sure that wasn't great. I actually went to a local petsmart a couple weeks ago and they had their baby dragons at 90F basking and 60% humidity. No lie.

I actually had just ordered small crickets from Flukers, and cannot cancel them. SO if anyone is in the Clayton, Raleigh NC area and needs them. I have 500 of them to be delivered tomorrow and I cannot stop that shipment so I would like to give them to someone else who can use them. Thank you so much for replying. I can tell you care, and that means a lot.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about little Ollie.... :cry:
I know just how horrible of a feeling that is, so sorry for your loss. He was not alone.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom