HELP BEARDIE HAND SWOLLEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh and I do want to mention, maybe while your at it, pick up a digital thermometer with probe end. They are pretty cheap, you can find them on amazon for like 5 bucks.

I always recommend having one, especially if you have an IR thermometer. Reason being is that (without getting too technical) IR thermometers rely on the material they are measuring to be within their calibration range. So if you are measuring an item that doesn't fall within that calibration range, your reading can be way off.
So if you have a digital with probe end that you can use to also measure with, you can verify at least that your IR gun is reading the surface material properly.

Cheap investment that is definitely worth it.

-Brandon

GazingLife

Original Poster
Claudiusx":66nmrrzm said:
No problem.

Honestly I'm not sure, but proper lighting plays a big role in appetite too (and a host of other things for dragons) so there is a good chance you will start seeing some changes in behavior at least pretty rapidly. We've seen people come back here a day after switching their lighting to tell us how different and active their dragon is.

It's good that he is young and you are figuring this out early before some real bone issues start to occur.

Do you have a calcium powder that you use too? That will be important alongside the proper UV.

Keep us posted.

-Brandon

I was afraid it was because of calcium deficiency! I use calcium powder everyday and a multi vitamin powder one a week. Twice if he eats less.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, he is probably having some calcium absorption problems. As already suggested,
when they are not receiving adequate UVB exposure, their body isn't very efficient at
synthesizing enough D3 & can't really absorb calcium very well. When that starts to happen,
their calcium to phosphorus ratios get out of sync which further complicates the problems.
Once he receives a stronger UVB source hopefully his system's metabolism will improve.
This is a pretty common problem though.
Do you use the calcium powder just one time daily?

Tracie

GazingLife

Original Poster
Drache613":37c31d9l said:
Hello,

I agree, he is probably having some calcium absorption problems. As already suggested,
when they are not receiving adequate UVB exposure, their body isn't very efficient at
synthesizing enough D3 & can't really absorb calcium very well. When that starts to happen,
their calcium to phosphorus ratios get out of sync which further complicates the problems.
Once he receives a stronger UVB source hopefully his system's metabolism will improve.
This is a pretty common problem though.
Do you use the calcium powder just one time daily?

Tracie

Yes he will only eat once a day

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that is fine then! I was just making sure you were not over doing it on the calcium, too.
They can get too much calcium which can also cause some complications also.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom