Toe nail falling out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys so I recently rescued a bearded dragon Phoenix who was neglected and never really had been taken out of his cage for 2 years and he was stressed and a month or so ago he tried to escape by hanging from the top of mesh and hurt his nail the entire black part of nail was gone and it’s now barely hanging on to the skin looks like it only hurts him when messed but it’s swollen not infected tho and seems to be like a blackhead substance inside of the toe
108542-2648706753.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Try to keep it from becoming infected by keeping it clean and apply some plain neosporin to the area. If the damaged area starts to look worse via increased swelling or injured looking tissue moving up the toe, then it should be seen by a vet. If infection doesn't set in, the wound is likely to heal over and not cause a problem in the long run.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Puss buildup in reaction to the injury. That may help it heal, but if it becomes infected it could be trouble, so keep dabbing little bits of neosporin (or similar plain antibiotic) on the area to help protect it. Raw/unpasteurized honey can help with this too, but it's sticky so it can be tough to keep from attracting dirt when applied to their feet and hands.

vincentgiobbe

Original Poster
I just noticed this but it looks like the scales are live drying out on the toe because part of the toe is thicker than the lower part and brighter in. Color

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That could be dying tissue. Watch out for that shriveled part moving further up the toe and into the foot. If you see it appear to spread it my indicate infection and will need to be treated quickly.

vincentgiobbe

Original Poster
It has spread to his entire toe and seems like he can’t feel that toe as he doesn’t pull away when I touch it we are going to take him to the vet but will this lead to amputation or can I be treated through antibiotics and other medicine

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If it's spreading quickly, amputation may be the best way to go. Speak with your vet about it and get some options though. If caught early enough the leg will heal over and not cause much issue going forward. If the infection spreads it can be deadly in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom