Baby Beardie has Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

kh1382

Hi Everyone!

My baby bearded dragon (roughly 6 weeks) has coccidia. I'm picking up a prescription form the vet shortly, he will take it for 5 days (I'll share what the prescription is once I have it). Since he is only 4.5 grams he will have to take this through the mouth. I plan to also give him Bene-Bac Plus probiotics, deep clean the tank with steam and ammonia, take out all decorations and use an easy to clean branch and hammock, and replace the carpet substrate with paper towels. He is only a little baby and recent started to eat and be more active. Is there anything I can do to help him recover quickly? I'm worried the medicine will be very harsh and he will stop eating again.

Thank you!

So my baby was recently diagnosed with Coccidia as well. He was slightly larger at 14g but I gave him Ponazuril twice and it was a very small dose so it didn’t seem to bother him. I’ve heard that it’s not a very harsh medication so hopefully yours is prescribed that too. I also did what you did and removed the substrate(in my case reptile carpet) and put down paper towels. The key is keeping an eye on the poop (smell, consistency, and occurrence). If you are diligent on cleaning up the poop before it can be tracked around the tank that is helpful. Mine did not lose his appetite throughout and has actually been eating more and gained some weight (up to 20g). As long as he keeps eating and stays hydrated you should be okay.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon has some trouble, a lot of them seem to. Which medication did the vet
prescribe for him?
The benebac is a good probiotic so I would recommend giving that to him along with the
meds to help out his tummy. We usually recommend keeping them a little warmer overnight
to help boost his immune system.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If a baby is that small but is eating well I personally would not chance giving the meds., especially if it's Albon which is very harsh. How long have you had the baby ? As the other poster said, Ponazuril is usually tolerated much better and is only given for a couple of days. What prompted the vet visit ?

kh1382

Original Poster
Thank you!

I’ve had him for about a month. He had an emergency vet visit two weeks ago because he stopped eating and was extremely lethargic. He was in critical care for a week and slowly started eating solid foods again this week, but not much. He had a regular check up on Thursday and that’s when they found the coccidia. The vet prescribed .01mg of Albon for five days. Today is day two, he seems interested in food but he is too slow the catch the crickets and won’t eat anything not moving.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ponazuril would have been a much better choice, some vets aren't using it yet for some reason. Good that he's eating some, just disable the crickets so they can hardly walk [ put them in a jar with a tiny pinch of calcium powder + shake them pretty hard] and put them right near his face. Could you also post pics of his entire set up including the lights to show if there's any problem there ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

kh1382

Original Poster
109487-7071048044.jpg

This is his current set up. All new items inside and paper towel substrate after steaming the tank yesterday. He’s been looking at food today, but not really eating. I also think he is a picky eater and gets sick of one type of food after a few days so I’m hoping his Dubia roaches arrive today to try that again.

The lights are a 100W zoomed basking light, ceramic heat emitter, and the 24” t5 reptisun 10 uv.

The little black things in the picture are two BSLF and an immobile cricket I’m seeing if he will eat.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, cute little bugger is so tiny in there. Your set up sounds good as long as the uvb is able to reach him. Do you know how far away it is exactly or if he climbs to get closer ? Also, what are the temps. thru the tank , is the CHE on all the time or just as night heat ? Has he been sickly since you got him ? Offer water by dripping it slowly on his snout, he may be dehydrated, especially with the meds. If the vet didn't give you any Critical Care food supplement you should ask for some. You can also try a bit of Fluker's Repta boost . Also try squishing an insect so the guts come out a bit and rub that very lightly on his mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom