antibiotics? need answer soon! urgent

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

antibiotics? need answer soon! urgent

Postby dezismom » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:23 pm

I am picking up a rescue tomorro, have not yet seen him, but was told he has had a foot bitten off yesterday, while in cage with another dragon! even though he had been bullied by his cage mate, and had already lost a few toes from same! I am, of course, frustrated to hear this preventable thing. I pray he will still be alive tomorrow at 2:00, when we arranged to meet and I will pick him up. My other conern...I do have a exotics vet, but he has admitted to little experience with beardies. What is the safest antibiotic for beardies? I am sure the vet will give me the one I request, because he knows I have had experience with beardies. I personally prefer to not use antibiotics when possible, due to their disruption of the intestinal flora, bad side effects in general, etc. Until I actually examine him, I do not know the true extent of his injuries...or condition. I want to be prepared to act quickly, as needed. Please advise.

thank you, ---D's mom

P.S
I have been away for a long time. My beloved has passed. I could not face even my dear forum friends, with such horrific grief. I hope to be strong enough to tell whole story, some day. I cannot even say it without crying. He was more than a companion, more even than my support animal. Maybe, having this new fellow to rehab will help me, as well as him. maybe...
dezismom
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: antibiotics? need answer soon! urgent

Postby AHBD » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:36 pm

Hi there ! So sorry about the loss of Dezi, such grief is sad to read here and my heart goes out to you ! About the incoming dragon, I can say that some never develop infection and actually heal without. I'm not saying that the baby won't need them but they can at times heal with or without them. I've seen groups of babies at times at pet stores where a foot was missing and the babies were still active. Keeping the wound clean + dry is imperative of course and the vet may decide to bandage it. Raw honey is always good for any wound so consider that. Tracie will probably be on later to add her thoughts. Please do post pics ASAP. By the way, here's a link to first aid for reptiles :

http://www.anapsid.org/emergency/firstaid.html
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby dezismom » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:47 pm

Thank you, AHBD, I will hope for the best. This fellow is no baby, but an adult male. I dont have details yet. He has been through several bad homes, from what I do know. So sad. Thank you for your deep and sincere expression of sorrow for my loss, I know you have had personal experience. D. was very, very special
dezismom
Juvie Poster

Postby AHBD » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:13 pm

I know that D was very special without a doubt. I remember reading his thread at times and he was your boy.

Hopefully this new dragon's wound will successfully heal, many do . I can imagine how stressed you are without even being able to see pics of him. I'm sure he'll be in good hands with you !
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:28 am

I've found that rescuing dragons in need can be difficult, but is very rewarding and helps emotionally with loss. It's tough to say if antibiotics will be needed, and if so, which ones. It's best to grow a culture to target the proper antibiotic against the source of each infection. As mentioned, it's probably best to get them into a good environment regarding lighting/heat/space/sanitization, treat wounds topically, and work on building a healthy diet. They can bounce back from a lot when given proper care. Not to say vet care isn't needed, but it may not be as urgently needed in a lot of cases.
CooperDragon

Postby AHBD » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:53 am

Just checking to see how things are going. Any news about the rescue ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER