Baby Beardie Has Not Eaten in 4 Days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got her from Petsmart and we have no idea how old she is. We presume she is 2-3 months old. She is female (We only see the one bump in the middle at the base of her tail) She is only 7 inches (18cm to be exact) long (from head to end of tail), and weighs only 10.5g.
We returned her to Petsmart after having her for 4 days as they have a vet guarantee if they fall ill. They kept her for 2 weeks and DID NOT bring her to a vet. They told her she didn't eat for a week and then started eating 4-5 crickets a day. (They kept her for 2 weeks in observation) We got her back, and she ate 10 crickets for 3 days. Now, she's not eating at all. We tried feeding her in the terrarium, outside in a storage tote. Nothing works. She is in a 40g tank, and the temperatures and humidity are in perfect range. (105F in basking and 85F in cool area, 30-40% humidity) She has a basking light (UVA) and a Reptisum UVB 10.0 T5 light fixture with the Sunblaster reflector. The crickets she did eat before were coated in calcium and multivitamins. She has constant dark stress marks

109529-6080059358.jpg
(The cat is not a danger, he's just fascinated. He no longer is allowed on top of her tank)

109529-6553606903.jpg

109529-2492456520.jpg

Her poop was fine when she was eating, now it's more liquid and she's only drinking water. (She will drink droplets from our fingers, but that's about it.)

What should we do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The screen on the tank is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type? If its a fine screen the T 5 needs to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor --if its a wide holed screen the UVB can sit on the top but the basking decor needs to be directly under it w/ a distance of 8-10 inches -- she cannot get to the UVB this is a issue-- the basking temps need to be taken w/ a digtial probe thermometer - NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- these 2 things are the most important things in that tank -- please fix it then watch her behavior -- if you need websites for nutrition and insects /worms let me know I will post them for you
Karrie

SilentNukee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3nqtabef said:
The screen on the tank is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type? If its a fine screen the T 5 needs to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor --if its a wide holed screen the UVB can sit on the top but the basking decor needs to be directly under it w/ a distance of 8-10 inches

109529-4556070557.jpg

This is the top. Thin mesh - It should be okay to have it there or do you recommend putting it inside? The tank's height is 18inches. I just read a lot saying T5 is more powerful than T8 and too much UVB can harm your dragon so I decided to put it outside.

We just made some Repashy Grub Pie very liquid as she will not eat it if it has any thickness to it. We are putting it near her mouth/snout and seems to be licking it. So she won't eat anything unless it's liquid... Hm

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Take a piece of decor and put it directly underneath the UVB approx 8-10 inches --- watch her behavior-- she should be eating on her own --- try that and then let us know what shes doing - w/ her being able to get to the UVB rays it should change her behavior - the way the tank is set up now shes not getting any UVB --
Karrie

SilentNukee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2dcvtad1 said:
the way the tank is set up now shes not getting any UVB --
Karrie
I'm confused as to how that is the case? I've ask endlessly on the bearded dragon subreddit if her terrarium and lighting was fine, and no one said it was bad. Just a couple toss ups between having the T5 inside or outside. We're going to try and set it up inside now to see if it makes a difference though

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok make sure the distance is 12-15 inches from her basking decor piece -- directly over it-- keep me posted you can use these to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line-- potted plant wire hangers -- or some tak-ty hook and loop cable ties I think you can get them at Walmart
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Where does your dragon mostly bask, on the hammock or on the bottom of the tank?
Also, keep in mind that she may be going through some relocation stress due to being
shifted back & forth too much. Is it possible to keep her in an area where the cat isn't
able to see her? She is very small & cats are predators thus it is highly likely that she
could be causing her to be afraid to some extent.

Tracie

SilentNukee

Original Poster
Drache613":1li0ply6 said:
Hello,

Where does your dragon mostly bask, on the hammock or on the bottom of the tank?
Also, keep in mind that she may be going through some relocation stress due to being
shifted back & forth too much. Is it possible to keep her in an area where the cat isn't
able to see her? She is very small & cats are predators thus it is highly likely that she
could be causing her to be afraid to some extent.

Tracie

She mostly basks on the hammock. She doesn't leave that area. We noticed today that her left arm has started shedding. Unfortunately we live in a very small apartment so we are unable to keep her in a room where she is alone. However, we have been making sure the cat is not on top anymore.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I would not have a bearded dragon if you have a cat. Many people take their beardies out to handle them and the cat hides under the bed and quickly comes out and attacks the beardie before they can stop it from happening. Other times the cat can actually break into the enclosure and torture the beardie and kill them. I really think you should keep the cat out of the room entirely or not have a beardie with a cat. The cat is going to cause severe stress because it’s a predator, so your beardie is probably not going to eat if she sees or smells the cat nearby. Mari is the same way about my dogs (my dogs are not allowed within 6 feet of her.).

SilentNukee

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3e9acnea said:
Ok make sure the distance is 12-15 inches from her basking decor piece -- directly over it-- keep me posted you can use these to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line-- potted plant wire hangers -- or some tak-ty hook and loop cable ties I think you can get them at Walmart
Karrie

We bought 3M Velcro tape and it seems to be holding up the T5 just fine. However, still no improvement with the beardie even having it inside the tank

SilentNukee

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":1dgzw89v said:
I would not have a bearded dragon if you have a cat. Many people take their beardies out to handle them and the cat hides under the bed and quickly comes out and attacks the beardie before they can stop it from happening. Other times the cat can actually break into the enclosure and torture the beardie and kill them. I really think you should keep the cat out of the room entirely or not have a beardie with a cat. The cat is going to cause severe stress because it’s a predator, so your beardie is probably not going to eat if she sees or smells the cat nearby. Mari is the same way about my dogs (my dogs are not allowed within 6 feet of her.).

We will be moving in a few months to a bigger place so that she can have her own room. My cat doesn't go on the enclosure anymore. And it's super strong and locked on the top and the sides so there's no way he could get in. We also don't take the beardie out at all (except for supervised baths) because we want her to get used to her space before we handle her too much, so he's never near her out in the open. Once she's bigger, we'll introduce them properly. There are tons of videos of cat/beardie pals and I know my big guy is a softie and loves friends so it should be just fine. Not right now however since she's so tiny. I don't trust anyone right now, she's such a small baby

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Shes not eating at all? The cat maybe freaking her out but as long as you keep the cat off the tank she will do better and get accustom to the cat -- I have 5 cats and my two dragons are fine w/ them as well as the cats but my cats have never been on top of the tanks --- my tanks are on stand alone stands/ dressers w/ nothing around them for the cats to be able to get on top of them -- and they will not jump from the floor to the top of the tank --- cats usually wont jump to where they cannot see -- dragons like to have social activity --- I dont recommend putting her in a room all alone all the time -- I am thinking w/ the proper temps and UVB she should start eating here - relocation stress and the cat probably is not helping but as time goes on she should acclimate to her surroundings --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom