Baby beardie may have prolapsed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosselman

Chico has been quite constipated for two days now . A couple days ago he pooped blood a few times , he’s been steady urating still since then but this morning we woke up to what seems to be a prolapse or maybe just poop . We have given him warm baths since he hasn’t been feeling good , but doesn’t seem to be getting better. I have a picture just not sure how to upload

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a large stuck poop, but could turn into prolapse. I would keep up with the cool baths and perhaps a bath in a sugar solution to help reduce swelling. Offer plenty of water by dripping on his nose to lick up. I would probably get a vet appt scheduled to have him checked out and treated just in case there is some internal injury or this does turn into a prolapse. Try to keep him warm, comfortable, and well hydrated for the time being.

Bosselman

Original Poster
He has had a sugar water bath , I am gunna wait a couple hours before I give him another. He aggressively will drink any water I give him , but hasn’t eaten in two days . I hope it is just stuck poop because I’m Gunna help him pass it I just don’t want him to release out more intestines if it was some how his intestines and not poop

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It doesn't appear to have the consistency or pink/red color of a prolapse which is good. If he is drinking a lot, keep offering. I would avoid offering a lot at once in favor of several smaller servings across the day. Keeping him well hydrated might wind up doing the trick, hopefully. Please keep us posted.

Bosselman

Original Poster
I will definitely keep you posted . I’m pretty sure this was caused by overeating, it’s not my dragon, but the picture I posted doesn’t do as much justice as in real life he has definitely bled a little bit but not consistently , and there is a red tinge to the poop.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would probably leave it alone just in case there is something attached within (doubtful, but possible). Eventually it should pass and break free on its own.

Bosselman

Original Poster
It seems like after two sugar water baths it might have went back in a bit , I’m thinking this might mean it is an internal organ and not poop
109433-1893635281.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The color and texture still look like poop to me. It's possibly organ encased in poop (which might wind up protecting it to an extent). Keep up with the soaks and the hydration since it appears that you're seeing some progress.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is rather large, please keep us posted on his condition!
I agree, at the moment, it appears to be a stuck stool, but do continue to monitor him, give
baths & try to get some oral fluids into him in case he is dehydrated & can't pass it through
for some reason.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How is he ? You might use a Q-tip to gently palpate + break up the piece just a little at a time from the end while he's in the water. That might even encourage him to push harder. Do that VERY gently though and don't pull anything.

Bosselman

Original Poster
We’ve came to the conclusion that it’s probably not poop at the consistency doesn’t seem that way I don’t think he’s gunna make it to much longer.

Bosselman

Original Poster
He’s awfully shakey , still can walk but hasn’t eaten and seems to be in pain . If it is his organs it’s probably to late for his body to take the organs back in

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If that is organ tissue then it has become very necrotic and would require surgery. It's odd that it hasn't come clear yet if it is poop though. Perhaps it is caught up somehow. At this point a vet would really need to take a closer look to find out what is going on. Try to keep him as warm and comfortable as possible for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom