Help! Yellow fungus or stuck shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just rehomed a 1.5 year old male dragon last Sunday and the past owner mentioned he is still shedding. However 2 days later, I noticed that his left side head and ear is particularly odd. It has dark spots and (stuck) shed? it also seems to smell a bit weird.

I'm so heartbroken. I wished Ive seen it before getting the dragon. I don't know what to do too since there are no reptile vets nearby. I appreciate any help :/ Thank you!

92512-1804507245.jpg
92512-8843271313.jpg
92512-1155342455.jpg
92512-7249665311.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry but that's a very bad fungal infection. You can put Lamisil + raw honey on it to help but the prognosis may not be good. Can you find a good reptile vet [ they MUST be a reptile vet ]

justinewin

Original Poster
AHBD":bo9gdnrv said:
I'm sorry but that's a very bad fungal infection. You can put Lamisil + raw honey on it to help but the prognosis may not be good. Can you find a good reptile vet [ they MUST be a reptile vet ]

Really?? I do think it's pretty deep for a stuck shed :cry: I will try lamisil to ease the pain. I tried calling local vets but they are unavailable for the next 2 months :cry:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hopefully the anti fungal cream will help. Are there vets further away that you could contact and set up a visit? A skin test would be helpful to determine what is causing the infection. If it is fungal, then a prescription for an oral anti fungal med (Voriconizole seems to work well) may be helpful along with the topical cream.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's been like this for a while, I doubt the former owner wasn't aware that this is more than shed. But anyway you can treat it and see how it goes. The medication that Cooper mentioned is the go to oral med. for yellow fungus. I know this must be so hard on you and my heart goes out to you. :( Is the dragon a good weight and has he eaten anything yet ? Fungus doesn't always cause pain so he may not feel too bad right now. BTW, what's the little guy's name ?

justinewin

Original Poster
His name is Yuzu and he is such a good boy. I got him last Sunday and he hasn't eaten ever since. I thought it might just be him shedding, adapting to a new place, or brumating because of the autumn cold..

I never had a pet before that needed medication so sorry for the naive questions. Will I need a prescription to buy the medication and is it available in any drugstore? The nearest hospital would be 2 hours away.. Do you happen to know how much it may cost me?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I like his name, I've never heard that before and I'm glad that he's a good boy. Some dragons don't eat when they go to a new home but hopefully he'll start soon. What have you offered ? Don't bathe him since it can spread the fungus, unless he gets dirty you can get betadine at a drug store to add to his bath water. The Lamisil cream is not expensive at all and can also picked up at pharmacy with no prescription. The voriconazole is only by prescription, not sure how much a vet could charge for it but it's actually for humans so I think if a vet got a scrip for Yuzu it would go a lot farther because you'd be using much less than for a human.

saraho

Hatchling Member
This breaks my heart. I'm so happy you are willing to try to help Yuzu. I hope you get results with over-the-counter medicine. I've been lucky so far with Charlie, but you never know what's around the next corner in life.

justinewin

Original Poster
Alright i checked our drugstores and they need a prescription for lamisil in Canada :(. The pharmacist recommended Micatin as otc alternative. Is that okay?

justinewin

Original Poster
AHBD":3gm4w4k6 said:
I like his name, I've never heard that before and I'm glad that he's a good boy. Some dragons don't eat when they go to a new home but hopefully he'll start soon. What have you offered ? Don't bathe him since it can spread the fungus, unless he gets dirty you can get betadine at a drug store to add to his bath water. The Lamisil cream is not expensive at all and can also picked up at pharmacy with no prescription. The voriconazole is only by prescription, not sure how much a vet could charge for it but it's actually for humans so I think if a vet got a scrip for Yuzu it would go a lot farther because you'd be using much less than for a human.

Thank you! Yuzu is a citrus fruit in Japan :) i did give him bath today because i thought it would help him shed (before i knew it was fungal infection). I went to our drugstores here but they said lamisil needs prescription in Canada :( do you know any otc alternatives?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Voriconizole is prepared by a compounding pharmacy. Wedgewood is the one I've used in the US before. There is likely a similar option in Canada. The vet would call in the prescription and they would prep it and then mail it to me directly. I think the cost was around $30-40/jar which was about a month worth of dosages.

justinewin

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your response. I’ll try applying it tomorrow then. Thanks so much to everyone who offered help too :’)

justinewin

Original Poster
Hello, me again. Is it true that I cannot touch the area with fungal infection? Should I avoid cuddling him from that side? Thank youuu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom