What’s wrong with my baby beardie??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! So I made a post with my concerns and a few people have told me it could be shedding, or possibly even respiratory problem, though I’m looking for more replies from people to get a general idea what it could be. I worry over everything but I just want to make sure he’s ok. If you know what it could be please tell me how I could help it. I’m taking him to the vet Wednesday to check on him, so here’s what’s wrong with him:
-Not being very active in his tank or in the house (though he started getting active when I took him outside — sometimes he’ll look like he’s sleeping, then get up and be active for like 1 minute then goes back to sleep)
-Won’t eat at all (he licked his food a bit but didn’t eat it
-It feels like he does a sort of hard gulp or something, maybe it’s hard breathing, and he does it often (he’s also made a little noise with it a few times)
-Most of his body is grey and dull, like seems thicker than normal scales
-His tail turned like a dark grey suddenly
-He has dark stress marks
-Sometimes he’ll scratch at the glass of his tank, though not often
-Recently he’s only been urinating, no poop
I did have improper lights but today I fixed it and bought better ones, what could be wrong?
I can answer more questions if needed and can even send some pics of his tank/him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The proper lights what did you get? Distance plays a key role here along w/ placement-- is he still doing the heavy breathing thing? A little noise? Like wheezing ? any mucous coming out of the nose or mouth? Did you get the basking temps up?
Karrie

Monstermutt

Original Poster
His basking light is the Exo Terra intense basking light and his UVB light is the reptisun 10.0 t8. Yes he still often breathes heavily. He hasn’t made the wheezing noise for a few days but he’ll open his mouth like a gasp. Though there is no mucus. His temps are the right temps now and are 103 and 82

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is the open mouth him gaping to adjust his body temp and yes 108 is good for a basking temp -- the cool side is good too now lets talk UVB - the T 8 is where in the tank? No top screen -- it needs to go inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches -- if that is how its placed that is good if not please move it --- if you need help getting it hung in the tank please ask I will post things on how to hang
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hang w/ these
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers --- shoe laces etc
97951-4086785400.jpg
Karrie

Monstermutt

Original Poster
So is the light placement is the cause of everything that’s happening to him? What does it sound like he has?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He could have a RI -- if temps were too low and UVB not correct its possible he could have a RI - I am going to have Tracie and AHBD address your questions --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how old + what size is he ? How are you taking the temps ? What WAS he eating before he got like this ? Can you post a video to show his breathing and also of his tank set up ? What lights did you have before you got the better ones ? If you can't post a video of him + the tank can you post pics ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Monstermutt

Original Poster
Hello. I don’t know his exact age but due to his size I believe he’s around 2 months? He’s about 6 inches long. I’m using these little digital thermometers from zoo med. Ever since I got him he’s been eating crickets, a few mealworms, and some collard greens. I bought a kit so both lights were from thrive before I changed them. And before that when I had him in a ten gallon I used some bulb from exo terra which sucked. And I have to find a time when he’s breathing odd so I’ll try to take a video later, though here is a pic of his updated set up
109349-6453524795.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your set up is very beautiful , very nice placement of decor and very clean. Only problem with starting a baby out in a huge tank like this is that if the baby is lethargic and the lights + temps. aren't perfect the baby will get sick. Your baby has been affected by not having enough heat or uvb. So he would possibly [ most likely ] develop calcium deficiency leading to MBD. Can also lead to respiratory infection and inability to digest food, especially mealworms. So passing urates means he may be impacted [ constipated ] from the mealworms . The Reptisun t8 is not strong enough to reach his basking area at all, esp. through the screen. You'll need to set him up in a hospital tank like this :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30051/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29953/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29895/full

That's how I used to set u all hatchlings when I was raising them, the heat + uvb are close enough to benefit a baby from every angle.

Monstermutt

Original Poster
Ah thank you, and ok then. So could they provide him medicine at the vet for his problems? Or how could I help him out. And how long should I keep him in the hospital tank? Will he make it to Wednesday?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a lovely tank, indeed. I agree, he is pretty small so he most likely hasn't been getting
quite warm enough or enough UVB either.
He should make it until you can get him to the vets. If he is or has developed a respiratory
infection moving him to a smaller tank for awhile to help with controlling his environment a bit
better.
If you can keep him a little warmer overnight also, that can help boost his system. Usually,
around 75-80 is desirable.
If the vet wants to medicate, don't let him overmedicate since he is so small. For infection,
Ceftz or Baytril are commonly used.

Tracie

Monstermutt

Original Poster
Thank you ,and ok. I can keep him in the hospital tank until I’m 100% sure that he’s ok right? Maybe keep him there a week or two after he seems to be healthy?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, you want him in there until he's growing and healthy. You will 100 % need a new uvb bulb, a Reptisun 10.0 but a t5 once you return him to the big tank. The t8 is not strong enough for that tall tank. For now you have to try to get him better so it's best to get him in the temp. tank ASAP. Since he needs nutrition get some organic baby food, chicken and squash with no gravy , salt, etc. Use a syringe to drip it on his snout [ add water if need to thin it ] You can also get some Reptaboost from the pet store. That can help him if he's impacted as well. You can give him very small insects [ a few ] if he'll eat them but no mealworms. Is he moving around on his own ? I hope your little guy is going to be O.K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom