Spinal Injury Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieTheRebel

109323-7101988131.jpg

Hi All,

I'm Laura and live in the UK with my lovely boy Reggie.

If anyone can offer advice it'd be much appreciated.

So, my boy Reggie developed a twitch in his lower back around 4 weeks ago.
Xray showed inflammation in the area and vet suggested maybe he's had a fall (I'd not seen any falls etc). He prescribed Loxicom 0.23 ml and rest.

So he seemed to have some improvement but then 2 weeks ago he lept off my shoulder to the floor.
In the last week he's struggled walking and in the last 2 days has had a black beard most of the time so he's clearly stressed out.

He's been to see the vet again this morning. He's suggested that my boy is put to sleep ?.

He said he can continue living but doesn't think they'll be any improvement and a lifetime on painkillers could come with other problems (lowering his immune system, may not take away the pain). He said otherwise Reggie looks in good health.

He's off his food so I've been feeding him baby food (squash and chicken) or soy yogurt and adding his calcium to it 5 days a week and Nutrobol on the other 2 days. I've increased calcium to help with his injury.

He's pooing daily and has urates. When he first started on Loxicom he also had diarrhea so I've had a parasite test and results are negative. Poops are now solid.

When I visited the vets today I'd forgotten (must be the stress) about the jump off my shoulder so didn't tell him about that. Obviously this has made the problem worse but as I've not told the vet about this, I think it could be a factor so I will call the vets shortly to inquire about it and see if that makes a difference to the prognosis given this morning.

I'm bathing him daily in Reptiboost for 20 minutes.

Hes still very alert but very weak. Since the vet visit he's walked the most that I've seen him walk in days.

Viv is 120cm x 60 x 50
Basking spot is 39-42°C
Ambient temp 35-37°C
Cool end 26-28°
UVB Arcadia Pro T5 34 inches 14% (covers 3/4 of tank)
Reptile carpet for flooring

Reggie is 5.5 years old, 530grams and 22 inches length

Has anybody here had similar experience? What was the outcome?

I've booked an appointment for Thursday to have my boy put to sleep but praying he perks up beforehand.

However I'm struggling to decide if it's worth putting off euthanasia for a couple more weeks and see if he improves.

I'm thinking that it's cruel on him and that I'm thinking of myself. I don't want him to suffer unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance.

Laura

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, so sorry about Reggie. It's never good to carry them on a shoulder, I'm not berating you but just for any one else reading. So you definitely should wait before deciding to putting him TS. Lots of semi mobile animals + people live pretty good lives without pain after losing mobility. Give him time to see how he acts. The inflammation may or may not go down, but only time will tell. BTW, Reptiboost baths are unnecessary, beardies do not soak up hydration through the vent. Once a week bath is fine if he drinks from it. Otherwise use a dropper or syringe to drip it on his snout.

ReggieTheRebel

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply AHBD

He always climbs to my shoulder, but usually has a harness on to avoid such situations. I'd not put it on that day, I've definitely learned the hard way.

For anyone reading that have a dragon that likes to sit up high, please don't let them.

He's actually eaten since my post. 1 locust and 6 wax worms. I'm aware wax worms are not the best source of food for him but I thought they'd be easier for him to eat and digest.

Thank you for your advice, I think I am going to give him a week or 2 before taking him back to the vets. If there is a chance he'll heal then I've got to give him that.

I've read lots of posts re the Nutraboost (for/against), this was recommended by my vet and bought from him.

His normal baths are once or twice a week, occasionally more if he's done a dirty protest, however they're very infrequent now as he waits until he's out of his viv. He'd clearly rather mess up my house more than his own ?

TBH I've been very unhappy with the vet as there are a few things he's told me that after research I've found to be incorrect or concerning. I did call others to make an appointment but none are taking on new clients at the moment so I'm stuck with him for now. Hence my post on here today.

Thanks again for your reply.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's always a good sign when an animal eats. If he were in extreme pain or stress he would not do so. For now let him rest, a vet can't really help except for giving the anti inflammatory meds. He won't need them for the rest of his life.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am so sorry about your boy! So many have taken flying leaps off of shoulders to get
injured in the process.
I don't necessarily agree with automatically putting him down like that. A lot of vets aretoo
quick to suggest euthenizing before giving them a chance. Can he go to the bathroom on
his own?
I agree, if he did eat something that is a really good sign. Reptiles heal slowly so I feel that it
would be best to give him some time to heal up. As AHBD said, a lot of reptiles end up with
special needs & have very nice lives. Inflammation has caused swelling on or around the spinal
column which is likely pressing on nerves. Once the inflammation starts to subside, his mobility
may come back to some extent. Did he think anything was broken?
You could look into getting some serrapeptase to help with swelling, inflammation & pain. It is
all natural & comes from silkworms.
I am pulling for him, let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom