Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone,

This is the second time I noticed that when my bearded dragon poops, there was a little brown thing in his cloaca/vent that looked like poop that needed to come out. Today, I tried wiping and gently pulling it away but it looks attached to him? It was very slim, almost looked like a brown stick!!

Do u think this is the beginning of a prolapse? I will try to post pics if this happens again.

SO confused and a bit worried :(
Selkie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sounds like a sperm plug. Look it up + you'll see . They usually come off on their own but a warm bath + gentle tug can help. If it doesn't look like a sperm plug post a pic here ASAP.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
AHBD":1lsj0svj said:
Hi there, sounds like a sperm plug. Look it up + you'll see . They usually come off on their own but a warm bath + gentle tug can help. If it doesn't look like a sperm plug post a pic here ASAP.

While we are on the topic of warm baths,does that help with femoral pores too? They are starting to look a little clogged

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It can help a bit but another thing is to be sure that the tank decor includes logs + rocks so there are rough surfaces to keep the pores " filed down ." Can you post pics of his vent area ?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
AHBD":1fdxe32n said:
It can help a bit but another thing is to be sure that the tank decor includes logs + rocks so there are rough surfaces to keep the pores " filed down ." Can you post pics of his vent area ?

Sure :) He's sleeping now, but when he goes to the bathroom, I will post a pic of the weird situation. After doing some searching, it deff doesn't look like a prolapse thank God, but just to be sure it's a sperm plug, I'll upload a pic.

Regarding his tank, yes he has sand, a climbing log, and other rough surfaces.

Thanks for the help so far and I'll keep this updated!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree. Based on your description, it sounds like a sperm plug which is really pretty
common. It "should" work itself out eventually. Baths can help to soften up the femoral
pore buildup if they appear clogged. I wouldn't worry too much about them unless they
are red, swollen or irritated. If he does any running around outside of his tank, they should
be able to get worn down some.

Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Im curious about this sinceI did a ton of research before purchasing my beardie.How would they solve
this problem in the wild?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
AHBD":cg8f982r said:

Hello AHBD!

I gave him a warm bath and once he pooped, his vent was open and I gave the plug a little gentle tug and it's out :) Thanks so much for the help!!

Now, I'm trying to wonder why he's been digging and exploring around in his caves when he never did that before? Preparing for brumation? It's always something xD

Selkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom