Struggling to find Vet ASAP in CT for eggbound beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desdemona87

I am using this forum to reach out to other bearded dragon owners in the state of Connecticut.

I have a female beardie, Athena, that I believe is eggbound. She needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. I am originally from Michigan and I am struggling to find a vet that is actually experienced with reptiles and willing to do surgery if necessary. I have called several vets already and I am getting the run-around. I am running into the issue where they either no longer have an exotic vet on staff or no longer accept reptiles.
My Bearded Dragon’s Situation:
My bearded dragon, Athena, is at least 5 years old. I bought her from a pet store in 2017 (she was fully grown). They didn’t know her age. All they told me about her was her previous owner brought her to the pet store because she was eggbound and they didn’t know what else to do. They put her with a male and after I watched him bite her toe off I ended up buying her (to make a long story short).I brought her home and I’ve had her for a little over 3 years now and we spend a lot of time together.
The emergency:
To cut to the chase on August 18th she laid 3 eggs, which I was suspicious that she could be gravid with infertile eggs but I was still surprised as she hasn’t laid eggs since before I’ve owned her. On the 19th she laid a fourth egg (as in one individual egg, egg #4).
She then went from the 19th until last night (9-3-20) and began laying again. Between 2-4:00am she laid another 4 eggs.
I have been able to get her to drink water, but she has been skipping days and not wanting to drink (so we do a bath and misting)
She has been flat out refusing to eat anything until yesturday she saw a stink bug and of all things wanted to eat it (of course I stopped her, I understand the dangers of pesticides, ect)
So I offered her mealies, and she ate 3 super mealworms and wanted to stop after that.

Around 2am after laying the first two eggs, she was clearly beyond exhausted and I could tell she is still in labor.
My concern is unlike the first time on the 18th when she laid eggs, she is suddenly acting very lethargic.
I am trying to give her space because I believe she is still in the process of trying to lay the eggs, but I believe at this point she might be unable to do so without veterinary assistance. Strangely she isn't laying the eggs until I check on her, which surprises me, as she only laid them when I came back to check the temperature.
Also to answer why she doesn't have a lay box: I am stuck at a motel right now, so it is not the best circumstances and unfortunately all I have is her travel cage. I was going to buy the supplies to make her a lay box, but I feel at this point just getting to the vet is the wisest and best course of action.

Is there anyone that can recommend an experienced exotic vet that has helped them with an eggbound beardie in Connecticut?
I am currently in Simsbury, Connecticut. I will have to traveling to a vet by uber, so any vets closer to the Hartford area would make the trip less stressful for Athena.
I am looking for a vet someone has personally gone to and has confidence in with treating bearded dragons in Connecticut. I have a feeling Athena will require surgery, and I want a vet that has specifically done this surgery before.
I have called the following vets and I have been “referred” elsewhere, so please let me know if you have the name and contact information for any vets that are not on the list below.

Roaring Brook (Told me they no longer see reptiles)
Piper Olsen in Middletown (Told me they no longer see reptiles)
Litchfield Hills (Told me no new patients)
Salmon Brook Vet Hospital in Granby (No new patients…)
Kensington Bird and Animal Hospital (Afraid to bring her here, as I called and explained the situation and they told me to “make an appointment” Considering this is an emergency, I do not feel comfortable bringing her to Kensington after their response to explaining my emergency and expressing she is lethargic..)
Central Vet in North Haven (Located over an hour away, have only one exotic vet on staff, called last night at 4am and the vet on staff had no idea how to treat reptiles and said I could “drop her off” If anyone highly recommends this place and has experience with their exotic vet, I will have to find a way to make it work)

Also, any advice on what to do in the meantime is greatly appreciated! I am wondering if a warm bath is a good idea in the meantime?? (The first thing people say when I mention a bath is "don't let her face get submerged", and I just want to say no need to worry. I assure you it will be a warm, shallow bath that is 100% supervised by me. Just want to address this to put any worrying minds at ease!

Unfortunately, today I am also moving, which I would postpone but that may not be an option given my circumstances with the motel. I will be checking for replies as often as I possibly can.
At this time I am putting all my energy into continuing to search for a vet to get Athena to ASAP. I realize I haven’t been as specific as I could be, but time could be running out so I plan to answer any specific questions as they come.

Thank you in advance to everyone who takes the time to read this and for any advice and information!
-Desdemona S.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of her, even a short video. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

A warm bath may help her to push, and if you have vaseline you can dab it around her cloaca, raw honey would work too. If you have a shoe box or similar cut one end out + turn it upside down to make a cave and add shredded newspaper or paper towel for her to hide/dig in. Best wishes for your girl.

Desdemona87

Original Poster
109234-4681563545.jpg

Here are a few pictures of Athena. She normally is active, she has been like this since about 2:00am last night.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, she looks beat. Keep begging any vet you can find , they might give her a shot of Oxytocin to help her contractions. That might even be done by any vet that will see her. Did you try the warm water ? I hope you can find a vet !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing, have you been able to get her into a vet thus far?
I hope that she is improving, egg issues can definitely be very serious for them.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom