Time to put down? Where to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterbeardy55

Hello,

This is a sad post to write, but my almost 11 year old Bearded Dragon has slowed down drastically over the last few weeks, now to the point of barely being able to keep his eyes open or lift his head. He has not been able to eat the past few days so I think his time to pass on has come.

I do not want him to suffer/starve as he can not eat but many vet clinics I call in my area do not have any availability or just don't service reptiles. Are there any other options I can look in to?

Sorry to have to share this sad post but wondered if anyone else may have some insight.
Thanks

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
If they can put down a dog, I don’t know why they can’t put a lizard down.
Never do your own euthanasia, whatever you do.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I always hate hearing & reading posts like this because every case is different. We all have
our own opinions & ways of doing things. I always say that if they are not suffering horribly,
then I feel that they find more comfort being with their owners than being put down. While it
is emotionally heart breaking, if you have a strong bond, they will find comfort in being with you
at the end. I don't know why, but it feels cold sometimes to just automatically put them down if
they are not really suffering, but just getting old or declining.
Of course, you know him better than I do, so it is definitely your call. All you can do is make him
comfortable, assist feed him if you can & if he takes fluids, slurries, etc & spend time with him.
Has he lost a lot of weight, or just slowing down? If he isn't opening his eyes much or moving, he
may already be in decline so that is up to you. Either way, it is never ever easy to have to try &
decide what to do.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom