Sick or burmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mflav

Hello my Oscar is about 16 months I have noticed for the past few days he has been spending most of his time under his hut. If I take him out to bask he will for a little bit and then will climb back under he only poops about once a week that has been his norm for a while but the past two times I have noticed uraite on the hard side. Since then I have been frequently misting him and have been giving him soaks. He also did start shedding around his mouth and little over a week ago He has a pattern to get moody when he sheds but there has been no more further shedding since. He is eating but only his roaches. He has never really taken to greens but every now and again he will take a few bites I still put them in their daily. I do live in New England and the season is starting to change and he is at burmation age could this be what is going on?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Possibly --- what are his basking temps how are you taking them and what UVB are you using? coil or tube and where in the tank is it? We need to rule out those two things before determining that is what is going on--
Karrie

Mflav

Original Poster
Lighting and temps are fine have always used T5 10.0 tube and basking spot is about 90° and I use a digital thermometer right on where he lays. I have had him for over a year he has been growing and doing great I’m thinking more so burmation

Mflav

Original Poster
Sorry forgot to also mention he is in a 75 gallon tank UVB is on top no screen same side as basking and he is about 8 inches from the light

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your UVB is a brand and bulb? The placement is important coil or tube
Karrie

Mflav

Original Poster
I use T5 10.0 tube can’t think of brand but one of best ones out there it’s def not anything with tank I have had him since he was 4 weeks old

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So UVB is on top of the screen -- is the screen fine mesh like a screen door or wide holed like a dime- if its a fine screen it needs to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches -- if its a wide holed screen the 8-10 inches is fine -- it could be brumation but I wanted to get the lighting out of the issue first --- his basking temps could be a little warmer 95-110 is what we recommend -- I would make the adjustments and see what he does --- if it was not a lighting issue and hes still doing the same behavior then its possible brumation -- but you want that lighting to be correct so its not causing any issues --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom