Brain-dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkley6S

my son was holding his hatchling and the cat (who was hiding under the bed) grabbed him by the head. I got him away from the cat and he was still alive but he has the following symptoms:
Eyes closed always
Will drink water from dropper
When fed food from tweezers won't eat and if I sneak food in while he's drinking he spits it out
Back legs splayed out and doesn't seem to use them
Will move off heat rock or away from bulb but not back to basking area or heat rock and gets cold

This has been the situation for over 3 weeks. I'm shocked he's still alive as he hasn't eaten anything and will only take water 1x a day.

HELP!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The dragon needs to go to the vet immediately www.arav.org
I am thinking its not going to make it --- 3 weeks w/ no food for a baby is not good!
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a good sign that he is taking some water. He may be fighting the damage done by the cat. Unfortunately cat bites can cause some pretty serious infections and should be treated with antibiotics as soon as possible. I agree that a vet visit is warranted. In the meantime do keep trying to help him by offering water and keeping him warm and comfortable.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, I am surprised it has made it this long. He has not opened his eyes at all for
3 weeks or has he opened them here & there?
Do you see any puncture marks on him or not?
Bless him. Let us know how he is doing. I hope you can get him to a vets soon for analysis.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh wow, his eyes have not opened at all, in several weeks, but he is still alive?
Are you able to get him to a vet possibly? He is a baby & if he isn't able to eat or drink
much he isn't going to make it.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I highly doubt he’s going to pull through based on your description, best to just euthanize the little guy so he’s not wasting away. I also don’t think you should get another bearded dragon if you have a cat, they are “venomous” to small animals.

Merkley6S

Original Poster
Update:
Feeding him fresh pressed veggies and fruit juice through a syringe that's room temperature, about 1.5 ml a day and water 1 ml a day at different time. Eyes cracking open occasionally, scab on skull fell off and nice healed area underneath, and moving around on all 4s. We live VERY rural and there's no exotics vet within 3 hours but I'm a nurse so I'm not incompetent. New, expanded metal lid on terrarium so no more cat issue. Will delete post

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's really good news, thanks for the update. If the wound is healing and he is able to fight off possible infection (which may be the case since he's still fighting) He may be able to bounce back with your help. It's always a good sign when they take food and water. Since he is still young you may want to order some Oxbow Critical Care or Carnivore Care that you can mix up and feed him via syringe. I've also had good luck feeding rescue dragons baby food (squash, green bean, and sweet potato have worked well) or even blending up some greens like collards along with a little green bell pepper and some squash and green beans and water. I run that through a mesh sieve to get the large pieces out then drain it a little over some cheesecloth until it is the consistency of baby food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom