BEARDED DRAGON ATE A WASP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynesta

Was outside and looked away for a second. He swallowed it all. I tried to get it out. I have a beardie ER kid with charcoal but dont know how to use it. Will he be ok? 1 1/2yo male

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He will most likely be fine. I haven't heard of wasps being eaten very often but we hear of bees getting eaten on occasion and nothing ever happens really.

-Brandon

Cynesta

Original Poster
Claudiusx":2ft1n74k said:
He will most likely be fine. I haven't heard of wasps being eaten very often but we hear of bees getting eaten on occasion and nothing ever happens really.

-Brandon

Thank you for the quick reply. He chewed it got a few seconds and then kept his mouth open, which makes me believe he was stung. I put my thumb in and he bit it hard. He doesnt look stressed. Should I give him charcoal or water?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you see any swelling around his mouth? I would be concerned with that more than the ingestion, so I'm not sure charcoal would help in this case. My guy has taken out a couple of yellowjackets over the years with no ill effects but he was lighting quick and didn't appear to be stung by them (luckily).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldnt. Consuming the wasp isnt toxic. The charcoal would likely only upset his tummy.

Hopefully he didnt got stung but if he did I'm sure youd start to see some swelling if there were to be any reaction already.

-Brandon

Cynesta

Original Poster
CooperDragon":13j7s1hh said:
Do you see any swelling around his mouth? I would be concerned with that more than the ingestion, so I'm not sure charcoal would help in this case. My guy has taken out a couple of yellowjackets over the years with no ill effects but he was lighting quick and didn't appear to be stung by them (luckily).

No apparent swelling. He got it quick, but when i picked him up he opened his mouth wide, with the chewed up wasp inside. I’m worried he got stung in his mouth and stopped chewing because of that. I tried to get it out to no avail.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Swallowing the wasp shouldn't be a problem for him. I'd be worried about swelling along the tongue or jaw that would impede movement or along the throat that would constrict airways. I would guess that this would happen fairly quickly. If he is breathing and you don't see apparent swelling, that's a good sign. Dragons can be VERY quick to snap up prey like that. It is thought that they have some level of toxin that affects small prey too - that may come into play in situations like these.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your dragon looks good, has his beard remained unchanged & not darkened?
How much charcoal did you give him?
Wasps can be toxic so I'm glad you had the charcoal on hand. If you need help with giving
any to him, let me know.

Tracie

Cynesta

Original Poster
Drache613":3w2vfl17 said:
Hello,

Your dragon looks good, has his beard remained unchanged & not darkened?
How much charcoal did you give him?
Wasps can be toxic so I'm glad you had the charcoal on hand. If you need help with giving
any to him, let me know.

Tracie

I ended up not giving him any charcoal and he was perfectly fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom