Please tell me this isn't tail rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyz

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help in identifying this!

This baby hatched June 29th and we picked him up on August 1st. He is currently housed in a 20 gal 'starter' tank as we await his large tank that arrives in a week.

Morph: Hypo Zero
Lighting: ZooMed Dual Ballast w/ 100w ReptiSun Basking + 26w ExoTerra UVB 150 Desert
→ Times: 6:15am - 7:15pm
Temp: Hot zone 92-105, Cold Zone 75-80
UVI: Basking zone 4.5-7.0 Measured with Solarmeter
Feed: 90% small discoid roaches (~10/day) dusted in Arcadia Earth Pro A, 4-5% Phoenix worms, < 1% veggies (will not eat them, have tried all of the ones rated highly!)
Tank: Artificial background w/cork floor, food bowl, and hide (he never goes in) - no water bowl
Bathing: Wed & Sun, this is also when he drinks water
Humidity: Unmeasured as of yet
Behavior: He seems happy and active. Eats as soon as we place the food into his bowl, and pees/poops 1-2x a day.

The photos show what originally seemed like a tail shed, and yesterday changed quite quickly into what I now think is tail rot. I've scoured the posts on here and seen mixed responses, some saying this type of presentation is simply normal, others saying it is not. Due to his light color, its a lot easier to see this, so maybe it appears worse than it is?

The photos are dated to show the time when they were taken. Your help is deeply appreciated!

*Note: The white powder that you see on the cork floor is not fecal residue, its from the supplement we dust his food with.

This picture is from Aug 01 when we first got him:
bbdJMq5.jpg

This was on Aug 10:
u7BfvnC.jpg

The following images are of him last night:
DqSqFvg.jpg

VWHpeQj.jpg

This is when I bathed him last night, the water made the dark color much more apparent:
6Qwq9wB.jpg

I started him last night on Betadine / Water 20/80 and Neosporin Original (non-pain relieving) ointment. We're heartbroken, and just want him to be healthy.

Thank you again.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, the last 2 pics look like a slight possibility but not definite so you are doing the right thing. Keep up with the treatment and see how it goes. You can use a full strength betadine solution on his tail twice a day and apply neosporin after it dries. BTW you'll want to upgrade his uvb to a long tube [ linear ] like the Reptisun 10.0 ASAP. The compact that comes in the dual dome is not quite strong enough.

mannyz

Original Poster
Thank you for your response @AHBD!

We've replaced the original lights that came with the dual domes, both were upgraded (75w → 100w basking bulb, 13w → 26w UVB). We have an Arcadia 12% that'll be used on his 'permanent' tank which arrives in a week or two.

I appreciate your help, we'll keep him on the Betadine and Neosporin treatment until we see a vet Monday.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! One thing to remember about tail rot is that dark color does not indicate rot. I't's when the tip starts shriveling and getting thin. And good job getting the right lights ! Try not to worry, he's going to be O.K. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom