Page 2 of 2

Re: Amputation/Potential Cancer or Bone Infection

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:23 pm
by AHBD
I can't see all the values on the blood tests, was there something in particular that the vet was concerned about ? Tracie will have a look when she's on later tonight. On the xray I can see the thickened bones on the bottom, not the top. I still don't know that that would mean an amputation is necessary, some beardies with MBD have bones thicken at the site of pathological breaks but they live with it and function alright. A full tail amputation would be traumatic and I don't know how he would do, or even survive . I would not consider it, but I'd urge you to get a second opinion . You might just take the xray to another vet, and ask their opinion without telling them what this first vet said. But I'd opt for letting him be, he gets around now and their tails are not super flexible anyway.

Re: Amputation/Potential Cancer or Bone Infection

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:28 pm
by Drache613
Hello,

I completely concur, I do see some bone changes on the middle to bottom but not up towards
the top. As long as there is no cancer or infection which there doesn't appear to be, I really do
not see the need to amputate the entire tail. That alone would be incredibly traumatic. Many
times when a full amputation is done, it is so traumatic that they often don't make it just from the
stress.
Could the darker areas on his tail be old, retained & hardened shed possibly?
Definitely consider getting a second opinion before making a decision this important. I really
hate to see him lose his entire tail.
There doesn't seem to be any indication of cancer or infection, from what I can tell. What did
the vet seem to think?

Tracie

Re: Amputation/Potential Cancer or Bone Infection

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:15 pm
by sukasmomma
Hi everyone,

I apologize for going MIA on y’all. Things with our baby went from bad to worse and I got quite busy at work.

Today we had to euthanize Suka. His tail fusion was likely due to a severe bone infection which led to a blood infection. This infection began to effect his eyes and jaw. Within a matter of weeks we saw him deteriorate. Saturday he got to say goodbye to grandma and grandpa (they were down visiting) and within hours he got worse. We called that evening to book our appt.

Thank you for all your advice and for this forum. It’s been a challenging time but reading other stories (happy and sad) have helped.

One day we’ll get another, but for now it’s time to heal.

Re: Amputation/Potential Cancer or Bone Infection

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:32 pm
by KarrieRee
:( sorry to hear about your baby
Karrie

Re: Amputation/Potential Cancer or Bone Infection

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:01 pm
by Drache613
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that you lost Suka, how sad. :cry:
Poor thing, at least he was not alone.
My condolences to you.

Tracie

Re: Amputation/Potential Cancer or Bone Infection

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:39 am
by saraho
I'm sorry about your loss of Suka. He is happily exploring Heaven right now, I'm sure.

I haven't had to let go of a beardie, but I have lost two beloved cats to cancer. Making the decision to let them go is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I worked in a vet clinic for a year and a half and one thing I learned was our pets have three things: eating, sleeping and playing. If they lose two of the three, then we should consider letting them go. Tigger was my first cat as an adult. I loved him more than anything, and when cancer took over his body, he quit eating and became very grouchy and sensitive. The veterinarian offered to try a feeding tube and see if we could get his weight back up, but I decided against it. Tigger was ready to go chase butterflies in Heaven and I had to let him do that. It was the most painful thing I've ever done.

I find solace knowing that I'll be reunited with my beloved furry and scaley babies someday when it's my time to go. I hope that brings you some comfort as well.