My beardie’s tail is crooked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlav

My beardies tail is crooked and slightly darker than the rest of his body. Do I need to be worried about his tail?

Shanlav

Original Poster
I have had him for 4 months. He is 8 months old. Also, I have noticed he is having lots of troubles turning around. He will often tumble on his back and he can’t flip himself back around. Is this normal? I always have to flip him back over

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He probably has severe calcium deficiency and MBD. Can you post pics of him and his lighting + tank set up ? He needs a good calcium supplement and proper heat + uvb lights are crucial.

Shanlav

Original Poster
I’m not super familiar with this platform, but I would love any help as I was very scared it was something related to MBD. Could you email me at [email protected] so I can send you some pictures of the set up and ask some follow up questions ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
After you upload the pics click on XIMG on top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- if it does not I can email you but try that first --- post this under ER please
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No I am not seeing them ----- when you click on the XIMG what are you seeing --? You should be able to see them -- they will come up as letters then when the message is posted they will be pics
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so one of the more experienced on here can help you now ---
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good job getting the pics up ! Your tank is beautiful, you obviously care for your beardie very much and did a great job with it. So the problems I can see are that the tube uvb is on the opposite side of the basking area, you'll want it over there. But since he's having trouble getting around because of MBD I highly recommend a temporary plastic tote emergency home for now. See how I have this set up for hatchlings, do like this for your boy. It's a medium or large clear tote from Walmart. The reason is so that he does not have to climb to get near the uvb + heat bulbs. Just put a simple low to the ground basking log in with him.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29889/full

Can you tell me the exact brand + strength the tube uvb is ? Also the all in one heat bulb ? He is not getting quite enough heat + uvb in his 75 gal. tank so this plastic tote set up will make sure he does. You can also take him out in the sun for 30 minutes a day. The good news is that he can recover pretty quickly since you didn't catch it too late. The wavy tail will not affect him at all once he gets proper calcium absorption. Once he's doing better you can return him to his tank but make sure the bulb strength is the right one.

Shanlav

Original Poster
108955-5327460663.jpg
108955-9541000016.jpg

The heat emitter is 150 W. The all in one is 125W I believe. The pictures I attached show the long UVB bulb (not sure if they help at all).

We tried moving him to a smaller cage and he seemed very stressed out. I am wondering if I can somehow find a way to lower the lights closer to the ground so he doesn’t have to move. He really loves his hammock though.

Should I be buying more bulbs? If so, which kind and how many Watts? What about diet ? What do you recommend for the ideal diet at 8 months ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.k. you have the good Reptisun 10.0 t5 tube bulb, as long as it's not over 7-8 months old it should have good strength left. You can leave him in his tank if you can lower the bulbs closer to him and get the heat up at least 5 -10 degrees. When he eats his crickets make sure you dust them with the calcium powder. Also get him out in the sun like I mentioned. If you make those changes he can improve but do it ASAP or he can get much worse and end up partly paralyzed and more deformed.

Shanlav

Original Poster
Okay. How far away should the lights be from him? Some people told us 3 inches and others said much further away. I don’t want it to burn him

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just get the lights about 4" closer than they are now, for raising the heat you'll have to experiment. And you can get a aluminum dome fixture like I have inn the pic I posted at Walmart or Home Depot and extra heat bulbs like these. They are halogen bulbs, not LED and the produce good heat. You can put one in the middle of the tank to raise the temp. if you need to.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29993/full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom