Could this be Tail Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noogai16

One day while I was giving my bearded dragon a bath, I noticed a difference in color on his tail. It seemed to cut off at a certain point where he would be his normal color but towards the end of his tail would begin to darken, I thought this was odd and at first because I hadn't noticed it before. He showed no signs of stress so I believed he was ok, however, I saw that the end of his tail looked strange, like it was very thin. I began to feel concerned so I did some quick research and read up about tail rot which really got me worried for my bearded dragons health. Could someone perhaps take a look at these photos and help me determine whether or not it is tail rot? P.s. Sorry for the poor lighting. You may ask for better photos if needed.

102248-5638978737.jpg
102248-8526191124.jpg
102248-7037520148.jpg
102248-5780144185.jpg
102248-2445056937.jpg
102248-892810133.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It doesn't look bad overall, as far as pigmentation & coloring. The end looks like it has had
a slight injury on it possibly?
Has he been shedding recently?

Tracie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Lots of beardies have darker color at the ends of their tails then on the rest of their body. Our beardie has it and the vet said it was retained shed. He has a heck of a time shedding on his tail. But sometimes a bad shed can constrict their tail and cut of the circulation and that can cause tail rot, but as long as you keep the skin well hydrated and moist enough so that it doesn't get hard (a daily bath should help), it should be ok.

I agree with Tracie that your beardie's tail doesn't look bad except for the possibility of a minor injury. He looks like he has an especially long tail.

Noogai16

Original Poster
Hi Tracie and SHBailey

He has been shedding and I appreciate the advice to bath him, I'm not too sure where he could have gotten the possible injury in his tail but I'll try giving him a daily bath and see how that goes

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Were you able to give him a bath?
I hope his tail is doing better, give it time & hopefully it will heal up & then shed off
soon as well.
Let us know how everything is going.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom