Heat Lamp cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMeany

Hi guys,

New to forum (will post in Hi forum later) but got first Beardie yesterday :D

My issue is that when got him home and housed (he's 2 months old), he was happy... chasing his crickets around and feeding. He then found the heat lamp which hangs from roof and has a cage around it.

We found him clinging onto the cage, so we extremely carefully extracted him from it and put on his basking log underneath. However, he has obviously leapt up again and has made his way around the back of the cage where it is nearly impossible to get my hand around to, and to try and dislodge him could cause injury.

Will he be OK up there? Will he come down on his own when it's feeding time? Is it too high for him? What can I do to tempt him down but not encourage him to fall off and injure himself? I know they climb and like to be high point for superiority etc... but didn't expect him to obviously 'jump' onto the lamp fitting cage!!

Think will have to name him Spidey or something!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He should not be getting up to the lamp - first its too hot and second what are your basking temps reading? How are you taking them? NO stick ons
post a pic of the tank and lighting please
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

BlueMeany

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm beginning to think it might be because of the red bulb? Just curious as to how he jumped up to the cage.

Basking temp is high 30s C (think 39.5). Night 26C. He does have a UVB fluorescent tube too (just wasn't on when pic taken)

Using habistat digital dimming thermostat.
108917-8770193578.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
OK get rid of the red bulb ASAP------------------- your need a bright white basking bulb like this
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202
What size is the tank? Are you in the UK? Does your UVB have a reflector on it and what are you using for a UVB Brand and bulb please look on the bulb itself and it will tell you -- the reflector is the shiny strip behind the bulb-the basking temp is good if its 102F -- it is best to offer a heat gradient so they can pick a spot for temps to bask a good piece of decor like this would offer that https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this is an example --- -- 105-110 F is good --- the nite time temp is too hot at 26C -- it needs to be not below 65F and good in the 70's F at nite--- you want ambient temps in the 90's F -- you need to get your lighting in order it is a must for your dragon to survive
I would be looking for a taller tank if that tank is 12 inches high it is too low for decent lighting
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so 16 inches is better it looked lower than that :) ---- so the lighting info please UVB?
Karrie

BlueMeany

Original Poster
Has a uvb strip running two thirds length of cage, but currently no reflector. Bulb is 10+ uvb rated and is new

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok so is it a T 5 or a T 8 and what is the brand --- you need a reflector on that UVB---- you didnt say what country your in so I am assuming the UK -- here is website for reflectors I would get one ordered ASAP -- https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-t8-fluorescent-reflectors/
If its a T 8 the distance needs to be 6-8 inches from basking decor --- if its a T 5 distance needs to be 12-15 inches from decor and directly underneath it --- once you get the lighting fixed your dragon should start eating and basking like he should --
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the UVB needs a reflector -- it needs to be 6-8 inches from his basking decor --- the reflector intensifies the UVB rays at this point hes pretty much getting none -- get a bright white basking bulb ASAP--- it will be trial and error w/ basking bulbs - start w/ a 100 watt but make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to the temp --- NO stick ons they are inaccurate---- take the probe and set it on his basking spot where he sits wait 10 minutes then get the temp
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom