Severely stunted Beardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
**this is not my beardy***

So this week a friend of a friend of a friend contacted me saying they’ve taken in a 2 year old bearded dragon from someone who (clearly!!) wasn’t taking care of her. This person was told about my previous experience with rehabbing Nugget & asked for advice in helping her Beardy gain weight. They explained to me that they’ve had this girl for 6 months. I’m not 100% sure of their set up but I do know they did not have ANY uvb & was feeding letus & possibly occasional crickets, if any. I gave her a copy of my care notes about husbandry & diet. She went and purchased all new greens veggies & a coil UVB as there were no tube bulbs local (I am giving her my 6 month old Arcadia as I am getting a new one).

My questions are :

1. Is it possible that this poor thing is actually 2 years old? She’s had her for 6 months & I cannot believe how tiny she is for even a 6 month old if she really was only a baby.

2. If she is actually 2 years old should she feed an adult diet? Or because of how tiny should she start less?

3. I also have some Repta boost at home, would that be helpful to give her? Any benefit to dandelion powder, bee pollen, benebac or kidney support during the rehab ?

Thanks for any help! I don’t have a lot of info on the poor girl but do have contact with the new owner so I’m trying to find out more.

As far as I’m told, this is a current picture of an apparently TWO YEAR OLD Beardy.

107445-4620238706.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The Arcadia is going to be the best for that dragon----- does she have the fixture for it? I guess I would offer the dragon salad and worms and a good staple feeder--- dubias--- I can't tell how old she is- I am not sure about the other stuff you were asking but my guess is she will start growing w/ the right kind of husbandry and diet - I think Tracie and ahbd need to chime in on this-- is your Arcadia a 12% bulb and not expired?
Karrie

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yep the Arcadia is 12% . I use a repti sun but also have a Sunblaster fixture I can send with the bulb. It is not expired. I only used it from January - April when nugget passed away ? and then started using it again in June when we got Chicken. I was told they can last a year but I don’t have a solo meter so planned to switch it out after 6 months months. I’m sure it’s still good for her to use for a few months until she can get a set up. Better than nothing/the coil UVB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes way better than the coil-- that would only make matters worse for the dragon----- I would have her get a Zoo Med fixture-- 24" -- what size tank is the dragon in?
Karrie

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I’m not sure the tank size. I asked but didn’t get a reply. I sent all info about tank size, lighting , Temps, diet, & supplements. She texted the next day saying she got everything but only could find coil UVB. That’s about the gist of the info I know. Other than the poops look good and happen regularly. I’m just hoping with my advice it doesn’t over feed her for her size / age

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is very possible the dragon is 1-2 years old, but, hopefully she is younger & that she
isn't stunted much.
Lighting is very important absolutely! Definitely encourage them to upgrade their UVB
light to the T5 Arcadia or the T5 Reptisun either one.
It is very hard when taking in another dragon from previously poor care. Hopefully she will
do well. Oh I just noticed you mentioned you were giving her your Arcadia, how nice of you!

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Still has that hatchling - very young juvenile appearance in the head shape .

I'd say more likely sub 4 months old . I think you've been mislead by the friend of a friend of a friend , or someone miscommunicated or was mistaken or got the story muddled ( about it's age ) .

I agree an Arcadia t5ho 12% UVB tube is a good choice.

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":28786iq0 said:

I'd say more likely sub 4 months old . I think you've been mislead by the friend of a friend of a friend , or someone miscommunicated or was mistaken or got the story muddled ( about it's age ) .

I’m definitely finding it hard to believe to be 2 years but this person swears they’ve takin her in 6 months ago and was told she was 1.5 years at that time ? .. I’m going to get my Arcadia to her ASAP & advise her to check out this forum for more help. Thanks !

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NuggetsMama":1caiwwrn said:
kingofnobbys":1caiwwrn said:

I’m definitely finding it hard to believe to be 2 years but this person swears they’ve takin her in 6 months ago and was told she was 1.5 years at that time ? .. I’m going to get my Arcadia to her ASAP & advise her to check out this forum for more help. Thanks !

I'd be treating her like a stunted 6 month old
>> plenty of live high quality insects ( as many as she wants 2x per day )
>> plenty of dietary calcium

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, I am also doubting the age because hatchlings or youngsters just have a certain
shape to their heads, a roundness, etc because they have not matured yet.
At any rate, improving her lighting & nutrition should help out her health & growth rates.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I’m not sure. I honestly don’t even know the new owners name ! They were just given my boyfriends number by a mutual friend to see if we had any suggestions. We texted them the link to this forum so hopefully they will make an account & be able to update / reach out for help themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom