Bleeding eyelid/eye! Please help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowyn

My bearded dragon somehow got injured. (I first saw it about 30 mins ago)The eye is not dripping with blood and you can’t see any actual cut but there is blood. The eye is slightly swollen and watery as well. My bearded dragon is acting pretty calm and isn’t acting stressed,angry, etc.
I can’t go to the vet! I’m terrified!
What do I do to ensure it heals quickly and prevent infection?
Here are some pictures:
https://ibb.co/3mXmDyG
https://ibb.co/XD4TvmT
https://ibb.co/XsnpWZt
Here is some extra info:
My bearded dragon is 4-5 months old.
Lighting, temp, humidity and enclosure are all set up and good. I don’t use loose substrate. I feed a variety of good veggies and feed Dubia roaches and bsfl larvae no larger than the space between his eye. I supplement, I give baths 2-3x a week, and clean his cage regularly.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, that is probably bothering him a little bit. Could he have scratched his eye on
something, or his claw? Has he been shedding lately on his head/face area?
You can get some raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey & thin it out a bit to put on the area.
You can use a swab to apply it. If you have some sterile saline solution to wash his eye out
with first, that would be helpful.
How is his appetite doing? His overall condition looks good though!
It should heal up just fine, but will take a little time. Keeping everything clean will help ward
off any infection, too.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
And NO crickets in the tank -- I know you said your feeding roaches and BSFL which is good but just wanted to make sure NO crickets
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I agree 100 % with Tracie because I had 2 beardies at different time periods that I used raw honey on. Dilute it about 1 part honey to 5 parts slightly warm water. My one dragon scratched his eyelid so that a tiny chunk came off, then he kept re-injuring it by using his back feet to scratch it more. He even shook his head hard enough that blood spattered in the tank . I had to put a gauze strip over it to make a patch along with some tape and it worked perfectly. I only wish that I had taken pictures through the entire ordeal. Yours will probably not need a patch and hopefully the honey will do the trick. And yes, apply it right in the eye itself.

Rowyn

Original Poster
He has been shedding around his face, so I think he scratched it. I am going to try the saline and diluted honey. If he scratches again I will patch it up (i want to avoid stressing him) and see how it looks then. Right now the eye is partially closed a little swollen with his inner eyelid over it. Hopefully it heals up good! Thanks for all the help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor guy, I'm sure it is probably irritated! How is his eye looking today?
I hope he is feeling better. The eye areas always take a little bit of time to heal up
but it should be fine.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom