Snout bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our beardie has been rubbing his nose (not when we are watching) over the last couple weeks and making it bleed. It will heal for a few days, and then he will do it again. He is otherwise acting normal but has been shedding.
108848-2673495277.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I need some others on here to respond w/ advice on the nose thing- your dragon looks very thin- what is he eating? Please go over your lighting and basking temps----
When shedding you can spray him to help w/ shed- or if it's really bad a 10 minute soak will help - you can take a baby toothbrush and gently brush to help w/ loose shed-
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor beardie, is he rubbing it on the glass or on something in the tank ? You can put raw honey on it as a good antibacterial ointment. If there's anything in the tank that he's using to scrape against take it out and replace it with rolled up towels for climbing. If he's rubbing against the glass you might try setting him up in a large, colored [ not clear ] plastic tote to see if that keeps him from trying to get out since he won't see the surroundings outside of his enclosure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No crickets in the tank w/ the dragon - they will go straight for his nose-- feed by either in separate container or feed one-two at a time so you can keep track of them - I recommend feeding in a separate container
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry, that looks painful, poor thing. I agree, try some raw honey on his wound so that
it doesn't get infected.
You can also try putting up some paper on the walls of the tank to cut down on the reflection
in case that is stressing him out. You do need to get that cleared up so that it doesn't get
more inflamed & infected.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

TripleJ786

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3cqgfcyf said:
I need some others on here to respond w/ advice on the nose thing- your dragon looks very thin- what is he eating? Please go over your lighting and basking temps----
When shedding you can spray him to help w/ shed- or if it's really bad a 10 minute soak will help - you can take a baby toothbrush and gently brush to help w/ loose shed-
Karrie

KarrieRee, he is eating greens, peppers, herbs, apple, roaches, and crickets. I think maybe the angle of the picture made him look thinner. I’ll attach another photo for you to see his body better.

Temps are 98 and 92 today.

108848-5854152399.jpg

TripleJ786

Original Poster
KarrieRee":21tg4ybj said:
No crickets in the tank w/ the dragon - they will go straight for his nose-- feed by either in separate container or feed one-two at a time so you can keep track of them - I recommend feeding in a separate container
Karrie

When we feed him crickets, we only feed one at a time so we make sure they are eaten immediately and not left in his tank. I cleaned the tank again today just to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.

TripleJ786

Original Poster
AHBD":3froylae said:
Poor beardie, is he rubbing it on the glass or on something in the tank ? You can put raw honey on it as a good antibacterial ointment. If there's anything in the tank that he's using to scrape against take it out and replace it with rolled up towels for climbing. If he's rubbing against the glass you might try setting him up in a large, colored [ not clear ] plastic tote to see if that keeps him from trying to get out since he won't see the surroundings outside of his enclosure.

We are fairly sure it was against a wooden hide that was in there so we took that out yesterday. I put raw honey on him this morning. Thank you for your thoughts!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He looks better --- what are you using for a UVB? coil or a tube?
Here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
His basking temps need to be 95-110 - if you can offer a gradient heat for him that would be great - a good piece of decor that offers different places to sit stand against or lay on would offer that -- are you taking temps w/ a infrared heat gun or a digital probe thermometer?
Are you feeding any types of worms?
Ok good have you put the honey on his nose? You can mix it w/ a little warm water so its not so think and apply w/ either a Q tip or cotton ball
Karrie

TripleJ786

Original Poster
Drache613":2st4l9lr said:
Hello,

So sorry, that looks painful, poor thing. I agree, try some raw honey on his wound so that
it doesn't get infected.
You can also try putting up some paper on the walls of the tank to cut down on the reflection
in case that is stressing him out. You do need to get that cleared up so that it doesn't get
more inflamed & infected.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Thank you! I feel so bad for him and really don’t want anything serious to be wrong with him. My son would be devastated! I put some raw honey on him this morning. It is looking a little better today so hopefully it will continue to heal and not get irritated again.

108848-9309697109.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes he nose looks better -- if you need sites for worms/ insects let me know and I will post some for you-- what are you using for a UVB? coil or tube? Brand and bulb please
Karrie

TripleJ786

Original Poster
KarrieRee":13mnilkx said:
He looks better --- what are you using for a UVB? coil or a tube?
Here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
His basking temps need to be 95-110 - if you can offer a gradient heat for him that would be great - a good piece of decor that offers different places to sit stand against or lay on would offer that -- are you taking temps w/ a infrared heat gun or a digital probe thermometer?
Are you feeding any types of worms?
Ok good have you put the honey on his nose? You can mix it w/ a little warm water so its not so think and apply w/ either a Q tip or cotton ball
Karrie

I still feel “new” to the reptile world so hopefully I can answer your questions. We have a tube UVB light across most of the length of his tank. Are you saying even on the cool side, the temp should not be below 95? The people who rehires him to us kept his hot side at 90 for the two years they had him before us. I believe we are using a digital probe thermometer. The tank was custom built so it has a heat gradient built into the bottom as well as heat on the top on one side. I will attach a pic of the tank to see if that helps. Usually we have one hide on each half, but I took the one out on the cool side for now since that it what we think he was using that would cause the bleeding. We haven’t tried any type of worms, except there may be some dehydrated ones in the one dry mix we’ve given him a few times. Would you suggest worms? And yes, I applied the honey today with a qtip.

Thank you for your thoughts. I really want Teedo to be healthy. My son would be heartbroken if anything serious happened to him, and he said he would feel so bad if we had to spend $200 at the vet to treat him.

108848-2249840494.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok Teedo needs more climbing decor --- I recommend going to Petsmart and looking at decor pieces these are good pieces for heat gradient https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 a middle which would be 90's and a cool side of 80's during the day and nite time not below 65
Next and extremely important Teedo needs a piece of decor directly under the UVB but I need to know what that bulb is --- please look on that bulb it will tell you brand and bulb is it a T 5 or a T 8 --- I will post some websites for worms but first we need to get your lighting straightened out so he does not get sick
Blazes tank
97951-8462642594.jpg
Karrie

TripleJ786

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1jqwtwzi said:
Ok Teedo needs more climbing decor --- I recommend going to Petsmart and looking at decor pieces these are good pieces for heat gradient https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 a middle which would be 90's and a cool side of 80's during the day and nite time not below 65
Next and extremely important Teedo needs a piece of decor directly under the UVB but I need to know what that bulb is --- please look on that bulb it will tell you brand and bulb is it a T 5 or a T 8 --- I will post some websites for worms but first we need to get your lighting straightened out so he does not get sick
Blazes tank
97951-8462642594.jpg
Karrie

The light is ZooMed brand T5.
The other decor we had in there was in the front, under the bulb, but I want his nose to heal before I put it back in since he was rubbing against that. Should I put a towel rolled up or something softer on that side for the time being?

The lighting a heat is weird on our tank since the previous owner had it custom built. It isn’t a mat on the floor that can be removed or turned off/on, at least not that I know of. It is built under the floor. And there is a flat heater on the top on one side that emits a lot of heat, besides the uvb bulb. Let me try to attach a picture of that to see if this makes sense to you. I haven’t seen something like it before.

We have maintained the same set up and a little warmer temps than the previous owners, who kept him like this for two years. We’ve had him since March.

108612-5527770314.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
T 5 how old is it? Decor piece needs to be put under it if its more that 15 inches above him - is there a reflector on that fixture the UVB is in - its behind the bulb and its shiny like aluminum tin foil-- if that bulb is a year old or getting close to it it needs to be replaced - also he needs to be able to escape those UVB rays if he wants to- we dont usually recommend a fixture the whole length of the tank - take that piece out that is giving off heat -- he doesnt need it -- you need a bright basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110 for him -- is the heat thing mat thing above him or on the floor of the tank?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom