Bearded dragon has yellow blister Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyshaci

On Monday the 6th I noticed falkor had a yellow blister on his beared and black markings, he was starting to shed so I thought it had something to do with that. I then got really concerned and booked an appointment with my vet for the Friday. The markings and blister have not gotten any bigger or spread to other parts of his body (I know it's only a week but I have read yellow fungus spreads rapidly?). The vets have said that its probaly yellow fungus and have prescribed him itraconazole and recommend he has this with proabotic(reptoboost) and daily iodine baths to clean the scales.
He is back in 2 weeks for a follow up and blood test, he has been to the vets a few time for different things (pinworms, coccidia both before he was 2 months old and impaction from insects which when they took the x rays said that his organs and intestines were swapped in the body with the organs being lower down and the rest at the top, they think he has got an underlying condition and think that's why he is very susceptible to being poorly . I just wanted some advice as to whether it is yellow fungus and treatment? The only other thing I could think of was scale rot? I'll attach photos one will be the day before I noticed anything and one before and after the vet visit.
108816-6831449503.jpg
108816-9245550232.jpg
108816-4537231415.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just a quick note to mention that this website is running veeeeery slow , hoping to see if it will be fixed soon. So as for your beardie, that doesn't look like Y.F. but it may be. If so, he's on the proper meds. for it. Did the vet take biopsy and that's why there are holes where the spots were ? The biopsy will show whether it truly is Y.F. I would suggest putting raw unpasteurized honey on that every other day and the iodine just brushed on a couple times a day rather than using it during a soak. Water can spread Y.F. so keeping him dry is probably a better option. Be VERY sure there are no loose insects , esp. crickets in his enclosure. Update on his condition when you can, best wishes !

Alyshaci

Original Poster
Thanks for getting back to me. He didn't have a biopsy or scrape they just said it looks like yellow fungus because the blister was filled with yellow puss, and they popped it that's why it's like that. I've just been unsure if it is yellow fungus because it hasn't spread and doesn't look like other photos I have seen thats why I thought it might be scale rot because they can get blister and rough scales (but usually happens in snakes) . The skin is healing well and nothing else has showed up. And neither make sense for his care, his tank gets cleaned once a week with F10, humidity is usually 40%, his uvb has just been changed (arcadia 12%) basking spot is 40c, warm side 35c and cool around 25c. What do you think I could be?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Without a skin scrape or biopsy to confirm Y.F. I wouldn't want that harsh med. given. Y.F. is almost always more patchy + crusty, not a small fluid filled bubble. How long will he be on the itraconazole ? Not sure why your vet did not test like they should have. I don't know what could cause the blisters , are there any loose insects hiding in the tank ? Crickets especially can be biters. Your husbandry sounds good so I don't have any other guesses, not totally ruling out Y.F. but it doesn't look at all like any pics I've seen of it on any forum or vet articles.

Alyshaci

Original Poster
That's what I was worried about because the medication Is harsh and if he doesn't need it why put him through having it but I don't want to stop it unless it is Y. F. He on it till next Friday when we have a check up. I'm going to ring them and see if I can talk to a vet. I don't think they did a skin scrape because I was not charged for one. Also no he doesn't have any any live food in his tank, I hand feed. I'm also disinfecting his tank everyday at the minute and all of his stuff, I've got other reptiles and don't want it spreading to them. Do you know how long Y. F takes to spread?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am surprised that they didn't do any type of skin scraping, which is really the only
way really to confirm yellow fungus. I agree, I would hold off on giving any oral anti-
fungal medication until you can get some type of diagnosis. Those medications are
pretty rough on their systems.
It looks more like scales that are retained & that are possibly going to shed. It isn't
spreading or looking worse right now?

Tracie

Alyshaci

Original Poster
No it looking pretty much the same the yellow is gone because they popped it and the wounds are healing. He is shedding part of his beared very slowly. The yellow is iodine on his beared
How do they get retained shed???
108816-5117764655.jpg
They said it was Y. F. Because the blister had yellow puss in it, the reptile vet didn't see me another vet did but she was consulting with him and he said it looked like Y. F. Because of the yellow. I think they know I didn't have a lot of money and thats why they went with Y. F. As the most likely. I just spoke to the vet I saw and she said that it's not spreading because of the medication?? But I thought it got worse before it got better. And it's been 9 days since it showed up and nothing else has come of it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Retained shed is natural, it's just an area that hasn't shed yet. Nothing at all to worry about or that has anything too with his blisters. Those look like they'll heal up just fine, hopefully that will be the case. Can you post pics of his set up anyway ?

Alyshaci

Original Poster
He did have more decorations in his tank Cork bark and wood but I've binned it all just incase it was Y. F. And it would be hard to disinfect a few times a week, So it's looking a bit bare. He has always been on kitchen roll and tiles.
108816-6941253664.jpg
108816-3491267529.jpg
108816-2788442117.jpg
108816-5292316345.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would recommend you get rid of the coil basking light and get a bright white basking bulb --- that coil looks like its throwing off a yellowish tint to it -- and the D3 Arcadia is a great bulb but it needs to be 12-15 inches from basking decor piece inside the tank - if its on top of screen I cant tell where it is it should be 8-10 inches from basking decor-- directly above it
Karrie

Alyshaci

Original Poster
It's not a coil basking bulb it's a arcadia halogen bulb, I do have other basking bulbs but this one directs the heat better, the uvb is connected to the top of the tank so nothing is blocking the uvb. He could get closer to it but because everything has been binned he can't get as close to it. Is 18inches from the floor at the moment and 15 inches from his basking spot. Also the uvb has a reflector on it. Hope that made sense

Alyshaci

Original Poster
I've just heard back from the vets and that are saying to keep him on the medication and that's it's helping and that's why there is no more yellowing. I can't go back untill the end of next week when I have money for a skin scrape it's already cost £100. I really don't know what to do ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can let him have the meds. for the week, then just treat it with the topical creams as long as nothing is spreading. I think he'll be O.K though, try not to worry too much.
That's a very nice + spacious enclosure and good to see the proper lighting. :)
You should put one tall basking item back in, if they are store bought they can be sanitized easily and he'll be less stressed with at least one more familiar piece of tank decor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom