Older Beardie, Rapid Weight Loss, Change in Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
You're getting lots of good advice from seasoned owners and I'm new, just wanted to say what a lovely old lady you have!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how your girl is doing! I hope that she is feeling better & recovering some,
as well.

Tracie

NGorsuch

Original Poster
Update since the last post, she's been eating her protein every day but not her greens. She doesn't really seem to like the water dripped on her so I've been putting her in a shallow bath to let her drink, and she does. She has continued to lose weight, about a gram or two a day. Her vision has gotten worse, she doesn't seem to be able to see the tweezers at all. I have to touch her nose to let her know its in front of her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that she's eating and drinking, at least she's sort of holding steady and not in pain. What are her fave insects right now and how much does she eat ?

NGorsuch

Original Poster
She likes super worms and hornworms, occasionally phoenix worms. She used to eat large crickets, but she can't catch anything anymore. She's still very happy to eat them once she knows where they are though. She's still getting at least 5 super worms a day, sometimes more depending on how hungry she seems. I usually offer them until she stops going for them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They do tend to have a little harder time chasing food, when they get older. I'm glad to
hear she is eating & has a good appetite right now, too.
Has she gained any weight at all?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh sorry to hear she is still losing weight. How much food or slurries are you able to get
into her? Has she been active at all?

Keep us posted on her, I hope she starts feeling better soon.

Tracie

NGorsuch

Original Poster
Weighed her today, she's 10.7 oz. She hasn't pooped since my last post, and her balance has gotten much worse. She doesn't move around very much, but when she does she bumps into things. When she tries to climb, she almost always falls off. She barely reacted when I picked her up today, and she didn't move almost at all yesterday.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm sorry your poor girl is really declining . I think it's best to just let her rest and have a natural passing. Other than trying some aggressive vet treatment, which I doubt would help or that you would want to do, it seems like it's the natural process.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I hate to hear your girl isn't doing very well, bless her.
It's hard to go through this type of experience when they get older, watching them decline,
etc. Just give her plenty of love & attention, she will love having you with her.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
:( I am sorry to hear- she did live a long life tho- but still it is heartbreaking
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, so sorry to hear about your girl Roxanne. :( Even though you knew it was inevitable I'm sure that it hurts as it always does when we lose a long time pet. You were a good dragon owner + took great care of her . My heart felt sympathy to you .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom