Need Opinions on Stray Beardie’s eye, tail, and foot

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Need Opinions on Stray Beardie’s eye, tail, and foot

Postby parodyofagirl » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:27 pm

Stray beardie seems to possibly have a recent and serious injury to his right eye. His pupil is being stretched sort of diagonally, but he will open the eye outside and use it while outside.

His tail has been partially amputated at some point but the last 1/2” looks grey and uncomfortable and weird and I can’t tell if it is stuck shed or possibly tail rot. When he fired up his happy outside colors when I took him out to get UV today, most of the tail had splotches of orange including parts of the darker grey bit.

His right foot has an amputated and completely healed toe, but at least one other toe appears to be broken and not set.

His bowel movement was liquid at first, then a green jelly-like mass. The liquid and urate were tinged just the slightest bit of pink. It smelled awful. I suspect parasites.

His appetite is good. His demeanor is the best sweetest rambunctious little thing. His mouth and teeth are perfect. His eyes are bright and he is inquisitive. He is trained to sit on a shoulder. He seems afraid of thunder. He tried to bolt on me earler and I think that is how he got lost to the point that I spotted him attacking the undercarriages of cars in a busy street.

Because I am not planning to keep him and we do not have any of our previous beardie’s supplies from 6 years ago I have been keeping him warm with a rice sock rewarmed every 30-45 minutes, taking him outside for some afternoon zone 10-b sunshine, feeding him dandelion green and butternut squash salads with slivers of bell pepper and a tiny bit of minced berries on top with 2-3 wax worms or a small/medium sized hornworm on top. He loves the salad more than the worms. I am in awe at this little dude. He has been sleeping a lot since I took him off the street. But he was awake for about a 9-10 hour stretch today. Quincy was never as healthy as this beardie is which gives me hope that proper assessment and appropriate interventions will help him recover.

Can someone please help me determine what to do next? We’re in the worst covid-county in florida right now and a vet visit is out of the question unless it is telehealth style.

What can be done for his eye?

What is up with his tail?

His foot?

And the poo?

And how do I load pics to this?
parodyofagirl
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:36 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Need Opinions on Stray Beardie’s eye, tail, and foot

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Holy cow we need Tracie and AHBD to help w/ the poor dragon
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- I will flag your post to both girls -- in the meantime get some pics posted please that will help -- you need to get him a basking bulb --- he wont be able to digest his food - UVB is crucial as well - I dont know what you want to do w/ him but for now its a good thing you have stepped in -- he needs basking temps of 95-110 --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10038
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Need Opinions on Stray Beardie’s eye, tail, and foot

Postby ComicBookMama » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:22 pm

Forgive me if you've already done this... but here's a listing of the Florida reptile rescues that I could find online. It's not all of them; I tried to weed out the ones with old, non-updated websites. Maybe one of them could take this poor guy from you?

http://centralfloridareptilerescue.com/
https://faithsreptilerescue.business.site/
http://www.southflherp.org/rescue---adoption.html
https://southernreptilehaven.webs.com/
http://www.mikesfunplace.com/reptilerescue/index.htm
https://www.fallinpinesrescue.org/
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 Bearded Dragons - Figment
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
User avatar
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:59 am
Location: New England, USA

Re: Need Opinions on Stray Beardie’s eye, tail, and foot

Postby AHBD » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi there, I'd love to see pics of the poor little adventurer as well. :) Post pics of his full body and also of the problem eye and the tail. You can get some raw unpasteurized honey for his eye, it works well as an antimicrobial and is good for eye injury, I've used it for my own dragon's eye injury. You mix it with just a bit of warm water to liquify it enough to be used as an ointment and apply with a Q-tip.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 25031
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Need Opinions on Stray Beardie’s eye, tail, and foot

Postby Drache613 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:54 am

Hello,

Wow, poor thing, at least he wasn't run over by a car but it sounds like he definitely had been
injured.
Pictures would be great, absolutely so we can see his physical condition. For now, you can
continue taking him outdoors for some sun but watch him so he doesn't try to jump, etc.
We are looking forward to seeing him!

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 40132
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Need Opinions on Stray Beardie’s eye, tail, and foot

Postby parodyofagirl » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:39 am

KarrieRee wrote:Holy cow we need Tracie and AHBD to help w/ the poor dragon
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- I will flag your post to both girls -- in the meantime get some pics posted please that will help -- you need to get him a basking bulb --- he wont be able to digest his food - UVB is crucial as well - I dont know what you want to do w/ him but for now its a good thing you have stepped in -- he needs basking temps of 95-110 --
Karrie


I’m in south florida right now. He is getting uv outside multiple times a day where it is extremely hot. I bring him back in when he starts trying to run away. The rice sock is keeping him around that temperature when he uses it. He seems to understand what it is for.

I am not purchasing the lamps right now. If my SO changes his mind on keeping him, (and I hope he will) I will place an order immediately for them and a proper size enclosure for him.

These are my pictures of him: https://imgur.com/a/SQ8VVVf i could not get the local image utility to upload any pictures.
parodyofagirl
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:36 am

Re: Need Opinions on Stray Beardie’s eye, tail, and foot

Postby parodyofagirl » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:46 am

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

Wow, poor thing, at least he wasn't run over by a car but it sounds like he definitely had been
injured.
Pictures would be great, absolutely so we can see his physical condition. For now, you can
continue taking him outdoors for some sun but watch him so he doesn't try to jump, etc.
We are looking forward to seeing him!

Tracie


Hi Tracie! I keep him on a towel on my chest when he is outside. It helps when he does try to jump. It also gives him a safe place to hide if a bird or a plane flies nearbye.

Here he is https://imgur.com/a/SQ8VVVf
parodyofagirl
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:36 am

Re: Need Opinions on Stray Beardie’s eye, tail, and foot

Postby parodyofagirl » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:54 am

AHBD wrote:Hi there, I'd love to see pics of the poor little adventurer as well. :) Post pics of his full body and also of the problem eye and the tail. You can get some raw unpasteurized honey for his eye, it works well as an antimicrobial and is good for eye injury, I've used it for my own dragon's eye injury. You mix it with just a bit of warm water to liquify it enough to be used as an ointment and apply with a Q-tip.


We only have neosporin with pain reliever. Is that okay to apply or no? I am concerned that his eye may have something in it somewhere (like a penetrating injury?).

Pics are here: https://imgur.com/a/SQ8VVVf.
He is a beautiful boy. Seems to be hypomelanistic with very bright orange coloring. When he is with me he keeps his bad eye towards me and closed unless we are outside.
parodyofagirl
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:36 am

Re: Need Opinions on Stray Beardie’s eye, tail, and foot

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:57 am

The rice sock is a great idea but unfortunately its not going to warm him up dragons heat from their back if you have a dome w/ a reflector in it you can try a regular hh bulb to use but you really need a digital probe thermometer to get a temp so your not burning him up -- thats just an idea --- he really needs basking temps to digest his food - and quickly -- I would not use neosporin on the eye -- raw unpasteurized honey
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10038
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Need Opinions on Stray Beardie’s eye, tail, and foot

Postby parodyofagirl » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 am

KarrieRee wrote:The rice sock is a great idea but unfortunately its not going to warm him up dragons heat from their back if you have a dome w/ a reflector in it you can try a regular hh bulb to use but you really need a digital probe thermometer to get a temp so your not burning him up -- thats just an idea --- he really needs basking temps to digest his food - and quickly -- I would not use neosporin on the eye -- raw unpasteurized honey
Karrie


High temp will be 95 today. We’re south west of miami florida. He’ll come out with me multiple times today. We go back in when he starts getting frisky or seems scared.

I will see if I can find raw unpasturized honey in the house.
parodyofagirl
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:36 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users