Sick juvenile Bearded....Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdavenport84

Sorry this is so long......I have a juvenile female sick bearded. I'm new to the world of owning a reptile. We originally got her an a pet for our four year son about five months ago. She quickly became my pet. She has slowly stopped eating in the past month. She went from not wanting Dubai roaches to crickets to only eating meal worms. I have a very hard time getting her to eat any veggies. I can't get her to eat anything now. She is not a big drinker too. About three or four weeks ago she had a runny poop & that didn't poop for almost two weeks. We gave her a bath & let her swim in it. It worked amazingly. She was impacted. It was the biggest poop from her I'd ever seen. We have been getting her a bath more often to help her poop. But she has been going as much from lack of eating. Her last poop was this last Saturday. It was hard to tell if it was a normal looking poop cause it was in the bath. I took her to the pet store we got her from to look for guidance on getting her to eat. They showed us how to get her to open her mouth to give her crickets. She ate about four or five of them at the pet store & three the next day. Then refused eating them again. She was moving good & acting fairly normal as of Saturday. Now she is hiding a lot & very lethargic. I know she is lacking calcium that she needs cause her back legs are getting stiff. I do not have any local vets that deal with reptiles. The closest one is about an hour to an hour in a half away. They do not have anything open until July for an appointment. Two nights ago I did a telehealth appointment with a vet online. He was a big help. He even called me today to see how she was doing. He recommended daily baths with liquid calcium, getting the humidity & the temp up in the basking side of the tank. I can get it up to about 90 to 95. But I can't get it up any higher. The pet store recommended baby food to get her to eat. The vet said that would be a good idea to try it. So for the last two days I have been giving her sweet potatoes & chicken baby food. She does seem a little better today vs yesterday. I have to order different lighting for the tank. The pet store here doesn't have the good ones we should be using. Is there anything else I can be doing to help her until I can get her to a vet? How long can she last like this?

108647-1579966238.jpg
108647-8649954134.jpg
108647-4488434121.jpg
108647-5782727301.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No more meal worms please! Stick ons are inaccurate for taking basking temps- you need a digital probe thermometer ASAP- what are you using for a UVB? What are you changing it out to? No coils they are inadequate!
Karrie

Tdavenport84

Original Poster
I haven't given her any more meal worms since she was impacted. Right now we are using "Thrive basking spot bulb 75 watt" & a Ceramic heat emitter. I'm sure this is wrong too. Tell me what I need & I'm going to order it. I'm at a loss on what I'm doing. I've had so much misinformation from the beginning. People shouldn't be allow to sell animals if they don't have an education on them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the basking bulb is good as long as it is bright white and keeps basking temps 95-110 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer that is a MUST! Next you need a 24" fixture w/ reflector for a 40+ gallon tank you need to get a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5- the fixture usually comes w/ a 5.0 bulb it's good but not strong enough for a desert animal- you will need a 22" bulb for the fixture-- go here and look- www.pangeareptiles.com in the meantime get her out in the direct sun / partial shade either sitting on you or in a plastic tote NO glass for 15 minutes---- no longer if she's in the tote- it will get too hot if your temps outside are hot- do this everyday till you get the UVB- 15 minutes will equal out to about 4 hrs of UVB-
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep your heat emitter it will be good for winter- you don't need it unless your temps in the tank are falling below 65 at nite
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom