Bearded dragon not really eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwhizzo

Hi my bearded dragon suddenly lost his appetite he use to eat 5 Dubai roatches a day 1 mealworm and some veg like spring greens and carrot I put in his mouth but about 2 weeks ago he suddenly stopped eating his roatches and I can’t get him to eat them. He wouldn’t eat meal worms I put in front of him and I have to put them now his food bowl and put him next to it he only eats about 3 of them a day . He use to just go straight for them where ever I put them. then I put some little slices of carrot in his mouth. I have also noticed that his beard has been going a lot more black recently it never use to before. He is just as active as he is before so I assumed it is not Him hibernating.

Dose anyone have any ideas what is wrong
Thanks Elliot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The lighting in the tank is the key here what is the brand and bulb of UVB ? where is it ? on top of screen or inside the tank ? coil or tube? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them ? NO stickons they are inaccurate
Karrie

mrwhizzo

Original Poster
Thanks for replying

UVB

The brand of the uvb is Arcadia 12% and I got it about 2 months ago It is a tube on the roof of the cage which covers about 3/4 of it there is nothing between it and the floor

Bulb

I have a 100 whatt basking bulb I have 2 little round thermometers one on each end and a temperature gun the cold end temperature is 27 on the thermometer 29 on the temp gun the hot end is 39 degrees on the thermometer and 33 degrees on the ground from the temp gun. Directly under the heat lamp on his basking log the temp gun said it is 43 degrees

Thanks Elliot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So what is distance of uvb ? Roof of cage meaning it's in the tank or top of screen? If it's inside distance needs to be 12-15 inches basking decor directly underneath- - top.of screen basking decor 8-10 inches directly underneath--
Karrie

mrwhizzo

Original Poster
The tube is 20 inches from the ground to bottom of tube it is attached to to the roof of the tank with no mesh or anything in between I will try and attach a photo do you know how I can do that

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post - let page refresh see if pic shows up
the 20 inches is too far away from if there is nothing sitting underneath it - he needs a piece of decor to sit directly under it 12-15 inches --
Karrie

mrwhizzo

Original Poster
107556-3617819962.jpg

Thanks for telling me. its weird that this happened all of a sudden could it be an illness or something like that that I need to go to the vet to

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep thats the way it works they just quit eating --- so the distance is what ? It looks like it is about the correct height however that yellowish basking bulb please get a bright white basking bulb --- and the substrate is wood chips ? I would get rid of those as well -- too much of a risk of impaction and you dont want that --- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot that works great insects cant get underneath its easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 -- cut it to the size of your tank -- how are you taking your basking temps- ? No stick ons you need a digital probe thermometer and please NO meal worms - we got a baby dragon on the forum now that is impacted from them
Karrie

mrwhizzo

Original Poster
Hi thanks for the information I have got a reptile carpet about 3 weeks ago to replace the wood chips with I was going to do it last week but I didn’t want to make him stressed which Might stop him eating completely okay I will stop feeding meal worms but then I don’t think he will eat anything tomorrow I will use a digital thermometer and see what temp it comes up with. I don’t know if this is related but in my bearded dragons poo there has always been parts of undigested roatch shell(when he was eating them) and there was undigested pepper in his poo when I fed that to him.
Thanks Elliot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Undigested food means basking temps are not high enough --- the stick ons being inaccurate --- please get your lighting and temps fixed as suggested and he should start eating -here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- How old is the dragon?
Karrie

mrwhizzo

Original Poster
Hi thanks for the nutrition sheet it’s really useful. I will monitor the temperature closely tomorrow with a good thermometer and fix it. My bearded dragon is around 4 years old I think I got him from someone half a year ago. It’s weird though because he Rarely moves him self under the lamp and stays on the cool side so I move him under the lamp if he doesn’t

Thanks for the info

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the not basking is because hes not eating--- change out the yellowish basking bulb for a bright white one and see what he does
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep that will work--just make sure you get a basking temp - place probe on the basking spot leave for like 10 minutes then see what it is - 95-110 - as they get older they dont like temps too hot --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom