Am I an overprotective mom or is something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! This will be a bit long but im going to list his entire history.

I got Rango on May 1st he was overnighted to me. He was 18grams when I got him and a shy boy who was hesitant to be interacted with, but started getting used to me within a few weeks. The weekend after I got him I noticed him doing some weird throat puffing, I was immediately concerned about a URI and took him to the emergency vet to get him checked out. This vet could not hear or see anything wrong and said it might just be indigestion, part of me wonders if this was just him being aggressive because he was scared and trying to do little beard puffs.

Since then (almost two months) hes been doing pretty good except for these recurring issues.
• He frequently breaths with his beard and puffs it out, the breathing seems heavy. He does this more frequently when someone is near the cage so I wonder if its nervous breathing.
• He will puff air out of his mouth (like this) https://imgur.com/a/U0hi3h0 and occasionally it will be followed by a saliva bubble. The bubble is always clear. This happens mostly close to feeding time.
• He seems to have some excess saliva when opening his mouth but its always clear
• I have seen 3x a tiny clear bubble come from the nose, but this is always shortly after a bath (and he loves swimming and always dunks his head even though id rather he didnt)

He eats amazing, 3 meals a day of about 25/30 bugs at each feeding (all the basics, crickets, dubias silkworms) and always has fresh greens he eats (mainly collard, mustard, and some others)

He seems active, but is shy and does tend to hide sometimes. Never black beards, always alert and happy.

I took him to two additional vets after the symptoms continued, one said respiratory infection but also said alot of other untrustworthy things so I ended up wanting another opinion, my final vet and now his primary vet took xrays and said the xrays were clear, she could not see any mass, and the lungs just looked inflated (he was breathing heavy probably very afraid when he was there) but she did not see signs of a respiratory infection in the xray, she decided to treat anyways since he had the symptoms and he just completed his treatment of Fortaz. I also had them do a fecal and it came up positive for coccidia (moderate amounts) and pinworms (low amount) we treated for the coccidia even though he didnt have any symptoms from this (his appetite is great and stool is always great) and he completed his prescription of ponazuril. I am waiting for my recheck appointment to bring a new stool sample. We decided not to treat for the pinworms, I was already hesitant to treat for coccidia and the uri at the same time.

Now, I still notice the occasional symptoms, even though he is complete with both meds. I get so worried and confused because I have no idea what it could be. He seems happy and healthy, but just with the occasional excess saliva and bubbles. Everything else is totally fine. He now weighs 114 grams (has gained almost 100 grams in a month and a half)

He is shedding his beard right now, but not his nose (it just shed recently) one of my theories was nose shed but it continues even afterwards so I dont think thats it...

One thing I did do, is get a UVB meter. I found out today that his UVB levels are not where i want them, the highest spot he can get is 3.0 UVB (bare minimum for digestion) and the rest of the cage is about 1.0 or less. I am using a reptisun T5HO 10.0 fixture and bulb on top of the screen. I cut part of the screen to let in more UVB. I have an arcadia fixture ill be mounting inside my zen habitat soon its all in the mail. Can any of this be a symptom of lack of UVB?

Has anyone seen anything like this? Could he just have excess saliva? What else could cause this?
Alsooooo if im being crazy over protective please feel free to tell me that too, im obsessing over trying to find answers!

Thank you all <3

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Could be a possible RI- and your UVB you will need to put the UVB fixture in the Zen when you get it distance approx 12-15 inches from basking decor --- Tracie and or AHBD will need to look at the video you posted
Karrie

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
KarrieRee":88pn8u22 said:
Could be a possible RI- and your UVB you will need to put the UVB fixture in the Zen when you get it distance approx 12-15 inches from basking decor --- Tracie and or AHBD will need to look at the video you posted
Karrie

RI that is maybe resistant to fortaz (antibiotic, i dont remember the exact name like ceft something)

and yes I am! I got the arcadia t5ho with the 12% arcadia bulb and im mounting it inside from the bars up top. I know that will be a drastic increase in UVB so I got the meter to be able to tell exactly how it was and make sure it doesnt get to dangerous levels. Shocked at how the T5HO Reptisun really puts out nothing compared to what ive seen about arcadia numbers...

Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have one Arcadia bulb now in one tank its a 14% bulb mounted clear to the top of the tank and one Arcadia 12% in the other tank - I recently ordered new UVB's to have on hand the 14% will need to be changed out in Sept going to do it in August tho---- I had to go w/ Reptisuns now because all the Arcadias were sold out everywhere even waited for weeks to have them sent had to cancel 3 orders from places what a mess ----------- so now I have the Reptisuns T 5's --- I will try and get Arcadias again at a later time --
Karrie

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2z6178zz said:
I have one Arcadia bulb now in one tank its a 14% bulb mounted clear to the top of the tank and one Arcadia 12% in the other tank - I recently ordered new UVB's to have on hand the 14% will need to be changed out in Sept going to do it in August tho---- I had to go w/ Reptisuns now because all the Arcadias were sold out everywhere even waited for weeks to have them sent had to cancel 3 orders from places what a mess ----------- so now I have the Reptisuns T 5's --- I will try and get Arcadias again at a later time --
Karrie

I think it will depend on the screen, mine is pretty thick honestly, but when i lift the light off the screen and test its still good but i just dont think the t5ho reptisun is good enough i was shocked by the low levels :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Both my fixtures are inside the tank so I dont think UVB rays should be an issue w/ them being inside the tank -- since my Zen is 24" tall it leaves plenty of room for them to be in the tank --- and a must anyway --
Karrie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
It does look like RI because of the way hes breathing, though the throat puffing could be a number of things; does he tend to hold food or water sometimes in his throat? My girl did that sometimes;

Do you mind going over your enclosure temperatures? I'm not a vet, but this could help Tracie or AHBD who frequent this forum. If he's still unwell might be good to boost them a little (as long as it's not too hot !)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, no such thing as an over protective parent with a new beardie. :) There are always some things that you worry about and that's normal. The heavy breathing does seem like a possible R.I but you say that it's not as bad since he was treated ? It may be something that will rectify itself now on it's own. If it seems to flare back up he will probably need more meds. How long was he on the Fortaz ? Rango's a handsome dude BTW. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing! It does look like a possible respiratory issue but it could be just stress from all of
his shedding, too. You are sure his nostrils are not going to shed, they look a bit dull to me?
The fixture that you have, does it have reflective backing on it, to help increase the UVB output
of the T5? Maybe you got a bad one, I'm not sure. The Reptisun should have better output than
what your meter is measuring.
I agree, sometimes the antibiotics don't seem to hit the infection very well & they need a different
medication to completely clear it up. Nebulization is a good treatment to do also, so you could
consider trying that out.
Rango is a great looking dragon!

Tracie

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
Cuttlefishh":102ajk77 said:
It does look like RI because of the way hes breathing, though the throat puffing could be a number of things; does he tend to hold food or water sometimes in his throat? My girl did that sometimes;

Do you mind going over your enclosure temperatures? I'm not a vet, but this could help Tracie or AHBD who frequent this forum. If he's still unwell might be good to boost them a little (as long as it's not too hot !)

I wondered if he holds food/water too... I read online that Dunners can do that, and he is a dunner. I wonder if its just part of his digestion behavior.

Its not a constant thing, like this morning he wasnt doing it at all, its like he goes through little spurts of doing it (maybe while digesting?)

His cage is a 40 gallon, the hot side/basking area is 105ish, the ambient cage temp is 85ish and the cool side is about 80. I have a temp gun coming in today so I can make sure the of the basking temp!

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
AHBD":3pd3ytlf said:
Hi there, no such thing as an over protective parent with a new beardie. :) There are always some things that you worry about and that's normal. The heavy breathing does seem like a possible R.I but you say that it's not as bad since he was treated ? It may be something that will rectify itself now on it's own. If it seems to flare back up he will probably need more meds. How long was he on the Fortaz ? Rango's a handsome dude BTW. :)

Thank you so much for responding!!!

So this video I attached here was before the fortaz (just the best video I have of him doing it) but even then it wasnt constant, it just happened sometimes (like a few times a day). Id say maybe its a BIT less frequent after the fortaz, but does still happen. Like this morning he was totally fine basking and breathing looks 100% normal, then he ate a big breakfast and started doing it. So part of me wonders if its a digestion thing (two vets have wondered that, he has such a big appetite and literally eats so much so fast I try to give him bugs in increments because he will just eat like 20 bugs in 10 seconds).

He was on the fortaz for 8 treatments (i think it was 8 but might of been 9 or 7) injections every three days, im not sure the dosage. The COVID stuff means I cant go into the vet so its harder to get this specific info shes not very receptive to email and is super busy...

Since that first video he has grown like crazy hes not 114 grams, he did AMAZING on the fortaz and the meds for coccidia, nothing bothered him in the least bit and hes growing like crazy! Almost 100 grams in a month and a half.... all while battling this strange thing.... so part of that makes me wonder, is he sick?? the xray didnt show anything noteworthy.... could it just be indigestion or nervous breathing.... or shed?

Heres updated video! He loves swimming found him doing this on his own the other day, he is growing like crazy, so maybe hes shedding like crazy?

https://imgur.com/a/T7UrhW2

Thank you so much for getting back to me!

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
Drache613":2p7i2god said:
Hello,

Poor thing! It does look like a possible respiratory issue but it could be just stress from all of
his shedding, too. You are sure his nostrils are not going to shed, they look a bit dull to me?
The fixture that you have, does it have reflective backing on it, to help increase the UVB output
of the T5? Maybe you got a bad one, I'm not sure. The Reptisun should have better output than
what your meter is measuring.
I agree, sometimes the antibiotics don't seem to hit the infection very well & they need a different
medication to completely clear it up. Nebulization is a good treatment to do also, so you could
consider trying that out.
Rango is a great looking dragon!

Tracie

Hi Tracie!!! You are the best I emailed you too haha so if you see it come through, HI!

This video was actually before he did his fortaz treatment, its just the best video I have of the breathing. Now he has gone from 18 grams to 114 grams in a month and a half hes growing like crazy! So he is def shedding very frequently.... but I do see this breathing even after nose plugs have come out...

Its not all the time, just sometimes, rarely first thing in the morning so part of me wonders if its a food thing.. maybe with the low UVB its harder for him to digest? But his stools are perfect in my opinion!

Yes so the fixture is the T5HO reptisun fixture, but it is on top of the screen not mounted inside, I cut a tiny bit of the screen to let more UVB in when I realized how weak the levels were, I think the bulb is fine, I think its my screen its very thick and was so hard to cut.. I might try and get someone to help me cut more of it today so more is let in. I cant wait till his zen habitat and arcadia bulb comes in.

Thank you so much I adore him!
https://imgur.com/a/T7UrhW2
Heres a video of him taking a bath in his water bowl haha hes big on swimming! So I think I need to be extra careful of URIs bebcause of that too... he went in and was swimming around all on his own!

Thank you! I have an app with the vet but its not for a little while... at least things dont seem to be progressing. With URIs would they typically breath like that 24/7? Its so strange because like maybe half the day he breaths totally fine!

WinFam01

Juvie Member
He is such a beauty! ?
This might sound weird bit his head reminds me so much of our girls...the reason I encouraged my daughter to chooseher is because she had the cutest triangular shaped head that looked different than the others. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom