Need Opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I have a 9 year old beardie who has been in good health for his entire life (other than prior pinworms that were treated). He just recently had begun twitching on the back side of his ribs near his legs, and also on his legs. He gets daily or bi-daily outside time for 30 min to an hour, his food is dusted with calcium when he's not on a liquid diet. (He was put on a liquid diet because he only eats hornworms, shows no interest in anything else) so I go back and forth between the liquid diet and hornworms. I also replaced his uvb tube lighting, and it's still happening on and off. It's not constant, but I'm not sure what to do.. I have a vet appointment next Thursday but the twitching seems to be getting worse and I'm not sure what I should do until they end up getting him a blood test, a physical, and a stool sample.

My vet is very smart, and I trust her completely but again it's getting worse and I have to wait 8 days until I can see her. Is there anything I can do as of right now? He isn't showing any other signs of distress other than when the twitching happens. Sometimes his heart rate is elevated but I think that's just because when I pick him up he's scared of heights and also scared of fast movements.. Again I'm not sure what to do, he's my babyboy and after 9 years If it was MBD it would've shown signs before now right?

I appreciate any responses.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not able to see the video but the twitching could be a neurological problem or possibly a nutrient issue. If he is eating primarily hornworms/protein at that age he may not be getting enough vitamins and minerals provided by a balanced diet with a focus on veges. A blood test should help determine if his systems are functioning as they should be and an experienced vet should be able to tell you more and review his diet and setup to make sure he is getting what he needs. What are you offering in his liquid diet? You could prep smoothies for him to include a variety of dark greens and veges if he won't eat them on his own.

DylanBurke1012

Original Poster
His liquid diet was prescribed by the vet, it’s an emeraid product.

https://emeraid.com/vet/emeraid-omnivore/

I definitely will be requesting a physical along with bloodwork and a stool sample, test. Last year he had no signs of MBD via the xrays and they said his bloodwork was fine but that was before we started the liquid diet. Nothing has really changed except for the fact that I take him outside more than I used too. I’m just worried that with his age it’ll be too late as I have to wait until next Thursday and it’s already been a 3 week wait..

If you would like to share you’re Apple ID or email with me I’ll send you the linked note with the video of his twitching along with a photo of his cage. My internet was having issues uploading the video to a 3rd party site so I couldn’t link it that way.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK that stuff should be fairly nutritious but looks like it's still pretty high in protein. Making your own smoothie for him out of veges and water might be a good option, but I'd certainly talk it over with your vet.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Have you tried calling the vet back to explain that the problem is getting worse? If they can't get him in sooner, at least you could get on a cancellation list for the possibility?

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
You should offer a piece of banana (you’ll have to like trick him since he doesn’t eat anything other than hornworms) because sometimes low potassium can cause twitching. Still go to the vet, but if you offer potassium, it could help reduce the twitching if potassium deficiency is to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom