Beardie suddenly in really bad condition!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzzt5

So today when I went to check on my beardie I noticed she had pooped all over the place and her beard was black. She's currently shedding all over her face and I'm sure it's stressed from it but a black beard isn't common from her. The bottom half of her tail is also dark and she is super lethargic.

I placed her in a bath and she let out some white and yellow stuff from her vent and I've noticed the vent looks a little loose like she's still trying to push more out. If I leave her alone the vent will go back to normal but when I pick her up it opens again and some white and clear liquid comes out. I usually feed her dubias, fruit and veggies but have recently been giving her superworms and am wondering if she got impacted from them. I have her in another bath now and I put some Olive oil on her nose which she licked up

This was her in the afternoon, she seemed alert but didn't really run around like she normally does.

92766-7412179499.jpg

And then this is her right before her lights went out this evening
92766-8649330577.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of her and her tank and lighting? How old is she ? Has she ever laid eggs before? Is she digging in her tank? You said shes lethargic -- please go over your set up UVB brand and bulb basking temps how your taking them -- NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- Trace and AHBD are gonna haft to help w/ this issue - so the pics and as much info you can give will help them out faster
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

Drizzzt5

Original Poster
She's 3 years old and She's never laid eggs before and I've seen no signs of digging and she's been eating fine. She has two basking areas that are about 105-110 degrees temp taking with a temp gun and her uvb is a 36" Reptisun T5. I've posted a picture that I just took and have no idea what the issue is as she was fine yesterday

Drizzzt5

Original Poster
So I've been monitoring her and she hasn't moved from the position she was in when I took the picture. Her lights went out half an hour ago and she's still sitting up like that in the dark when she normally lays down to sleep. Her beard isn't as black and her eyes are closed

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Pics did no come thru try again - you can wait for the page to refresh to see if it posted -- your basking temps may be too hot sometimes older dragons do not like it that hot I would get the basking temp down to 95-100 see if that helps -- if you can offer a heat gradient for her that would be good -- a good piece of decor that she can sit lay or stand against would be good for her -- your UVB is the whole length of the tank ? We usually dont recommend the whole length as they have no way of escaping the rays w/ out having to hide from it --- never mind I see pic now
Karrie

Drizzzt5

Original Poster
Her enclosure is pretty big, it's 5ft long, 2ft deep, and 3ft tall. There is a warm side and a cool side as well as a temperature gradient, the higher you go the warmer it is. She only started being lethargic today and she was walking a little earlier but not much.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Something is making her feel really sick, poor girl. How many superworms did she eat each day ? Is it possible that she ate some of the fake plants ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so UVB is good for enclosure that big -- What do the poops look like -- is she hydrated her pic doesnt look like shes dehydrated -- are they a normal stool for her? I wonder if shes got eggs --- can you take a pic of her vent and the stuff coming out --- or what came out - its gonna help AHBD and Tracie determine what it is
Karrie

Drizzzt5

Original Poster
I hadn't considered the possibility of her eating the fake plants. I haven't noticed any pieces missing and they've been in there for about two years but it's possible she got something that I'm missing for sure. She would eat about 10 worms but I wasnt feeding them everyday, more like every couple days witch fruits and veggies offered on the other days. I also haven't seen any signs of eggs and her stool looked dark and was hard not soft like normal. She also has a spot on the bottom level where she always poops but today she pooped all over her basking areas, and it looked like some of it was dragged across the enclosure. I tried to get a picture of her vent but it looks normal right now and nothing is coming out. Earlier though the bottom flap would kind of hang low and if I handled her I would notice a string of white slime coming out mixed with clear fluid.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If she produces any more of the yellow liquid take pics to post here. There IS a chance that she had an egg rupture, that could lead to egg yolk peritonitis.

Drizzzt5

Original Poster
I'll keep an eye on her vent. Is there any other sign that she may have eggs? Also it really looks like the white and yellow part of her normal stool but I don't see any actual poop other than what she already released this morning.

Drizzzt5

Original Poster
UPDATE:

So I gave her another bath and she passed this, this is the yellow stuff I saw coming out

92766-1488508578.jpg

I've also noticed sometimes when she breaths I can hear it and it sounds like something is clogged but I'm not sure if it's shed because she is having a lot of shed on her face but her nostrils look clear

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you feel her tummy to see if she has eggs? Lets have AHBD look at what she pooped out and see what she thinks
Karrie

Drizzzt5

Original Poster
Yes I've felt her belly for any eggs or impaction and I can't fell anything at all. I also massaged her belly while she was in the bath. I cleared up her eyes with some saline solution and she definitely seems more alert and her beard returns to normal occasionally

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok so AHBD is gonna haft to address this issue -- I am not an expert w/ the egg thing or hatchling thing etc............ is she eating today basking ? beard is slightly dark you said---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom