Sick beardie. Has "allergies"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded mushu has been having a hard time for a while now and im kind of at a loss with what to do. Right now He is having a lot of symptoms that look like allergies if they were in humans. I think that the problem is his nose is about to shed/he has shed stuck but I don't know for sure.
The first thing i noticed is that his eyes are very waterey and i will often see him "crying" and having bubbles in his eyes. He also just in the past few days had snot and bubbles coming out of his nose he has not naturally accepted food in at least a month i have been having to "force feed" him (not really force but i have to put food in his mouth. He accepts it after it is in his mouth) and give him appetite stimulant. He has also been gaping/opening his mouth almost constantly. And today I have noticed like his ear looks almost swollen in a way. This is pretty much my last effort before I take him to the vet. I am very reluctant because it is incredibly expensive I have been struggling with money because of covid. Not to mention one of the only vets near me is in an area where there have been riots. i really think he is having these issues because of shed on his face (he keeps scratching his face and rubbing his face on rocks) but i am scared for him. Here are some pictures
101532-8102815668.jpg
101532-2110036006.jpg
101532-6493834779.jpg

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
He is about 19 months old and i have him in a 40 gallon tank with a heat lamp and a coil uvb bulb that is over his cage at an angle. I also have a tube bulb that i was using for a long time but i changed it a few days ago because people on here have informed me it might not be an actual uvb bulb. The hot side of his cage is about 105 and the cool side is about 85. His poop has been normal and i normally feed him crickets, dandelion greens, zucchini and sometimes blueberries.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the coil UVB -- they are inadequate for a 40 gallon tank --- please take a pic of the UVB that you said you had get a pic of the brand on the bulb --- we will tell you if its a UVB --- how old is that bulb? Tracie or AHBD are gonna haft to help you w/ the medical issues / allergies -- I am gonna take a guess the eye / allergies issue is being caused by the coil UVB -- but Tracie and AHBD will need to look
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a pic of his set up and how you have the uvb [ including the coil bulb ] Remove the coil bulb after you take the pic. Another thing to do is get accurate temps. Right now it's about 5 degrees too hot throughout the tank. EDIT.....I looked at your previous thread and I'm sure that his problems are from improper lighting. You need to get rid of the coil bulb , the other long tube bulb that you posted a picture of and order a Reptisun 10.0 t5 [ if you can get it ] or the RReptisun 10.0 t8. Once you get the lighting right his problems should clear up. :)

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
This is the bulb i am using for him now
101532-5490534017.jpg
This is the other bulb i have
101532-415420779.jpg
I can see if i can get him a new tube bulb but im really low on cash

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please replace that UVB w/ this Reptisun 10.0 T 8 --- I am not seeing one you need a fixture w/ a reflector ---- makes a big difference --- get rid of the coil bulb --- its no good
Karrie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
I am going to take money out of my college savings to buy him a new bulb. I will call the vet tommrrow because his ear looks like this right now. It looks very painful he flinched when I touch anywhere near it. What should i do.
101532-9979442469.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I need Tracie or AHBD to look at his ear ----- I will flag post so she looks tonite --- make sure you get a fixture w/ a reflector------ it make a big difference
Karrie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
KarrieRee":b89v00kc said:
I need Tracie or AHBD to look at his ear ----- I will flag post so she looks tonite --- make sure you get a fixture w/ a reflector------ it make a big difference
Karrie
What kind do you recommend and where is the best place to get one

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Try your pet store first-- look for a 24" fixture-- most petstores only carry 18 or 20 inch fixtures- if you find a 22" or 24" get a Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- if you can only get a 18" or 20 inch fixture get the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb--- let me know what you get they have certain placement places- I need to help you w/ that-- look here for fixtures and the bulbs I have recommended so you know what to look for at the store
www.pangeareptiles.com-- let me know what you get or find or if you need more help
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless him, his eyes do appear to be bothering him some.
As Karrie suggested, do try to change the UVB light to a tube bulb. The Reptisun 10 tube
bulb or the Arcadia D3 12% tube either one, would be fine & are very affordable. Which
type of basking light are you using?
Does he have any other symptoms which would be considered a respiratory infection?
How long have his eyes been watery? You can try to get some sterile saline solution to
use in his eyes to see if that helps him out.
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you get a few more pics of his ear ? It does look red/inflamed, but it might be just that picture. If you look at both of his ears, do you see a difference ?

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
AHBD":2z0a7sjh said:
Can you get a few more pics of his ear ? It does look red/inflamed, but it might be just that picture. If you look at both of his ears, do you see a difference ?
His ear is definetly inflamed and he is showing signs of a respiratory infection

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1l0c5czh said:
I would get your lighting fixed and get her into the vet - here is a website to help you find a vet
http://www.arav.org
Karrie
The soonest I can get him to a vet is tommrrow but right now his ear is very swollen and looks a little bloody. I am going to the store to get him a light and see if i can pick him up any kind of antibiotics. Is there anything I can get like raw honey for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom