Baby Beardie Impacted??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgoldman1

108487-1632171446.jpg
108487-1632171446.jpg
108487-5748821930.jpg
My baby bearded has a small bump above her tail and it has been there for about a week. I have been giving her warm baths and prune juice with olive oil mixed in. She has pooped about every other day, she is drinking and she was eating okay, but I stopped giving small crickets because i didn't wan't to back her up more. Her back legs are not working and she just uses her front arms and drags her hind legs... is there another issue other than impaction that could cause this?
Thanks in advance.
108487-6528543867.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a substrate? What are you feeding for insects? They cannot be bigger than the space between his eyes --
Karrie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
I use the zilla brown reptile mat, sand was not good for my last beardie. She eats small crickets, but a few were medium sized from pet store, I am thinking this is what caused the back up. What can I do to help other than warm baths and prune juice? What should I feed her for now?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Try some unsweetened applesauce or baby food sweet potato add a little olive oil in the food too and keep w/ the warm baths - she needs to work its way out of the system- no more solid foods for now - use a syringe to feed her unless she will lick from a spoon- but she needs to stay hydrated as well - is she straining to go to the bathroom?
Karrie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
Thank you, I massage her belly and the bump and she goes poop, doesn't come out very solid though. She licks prune juice off the syringe however.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So has she really gone to the bathroom ???? What about the bump that she had has it gone down?
Karrie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
She only goes in the warm water, but she has gone yes. Not the full amount per usual but a little bit (none in her cage though) The bump goes down, and then if she eats it grows again... the bump is quite hard is that typical?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok no I would say not shes got something else going on--- I am going to flag your post to AHBD and Tracie -- they need to weigh in on this and give you some input on the situation
Karrie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
Thank you, my local vet said she doesn't know much about beardies... hoping to gain some advice here...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to see your baby like this. :( Can you post pics of the entire tank and tell us what exact lights you have and what your temps. are ? How long have you had her ? Next time she poos take a pic to post here. A medium cricket shouldn't cause impaction for a 9-10" beardie so maybe your temps. are not warm enough for digestion [ just a possibility ] Keep up the natural laxatives, that will be helpful and a warmer than usual bath. The hump on her back is from the bones being very soft + posssibly fractured now. She can heal but will need very good uvb. If it's warm + sunny , take her out in the sun but not in a glass tank.

hgoldman1

Original Poster
Hello, thanks for your input. Could really use the help, here is a photo of the tank, the temps are down because i just put her back in + turned her bulbs back on, typical temps are 100f during the day and 80 at night. I have a 75w bulb (120v) and a smaller red bulb that came with the tank as well. I have had her since the end of march, got her from Petco, which I know is not good. I had a beardie for 8 years from a breeder prior to little miss Penny, but it never got impacted. Please let me know what you think, I do not have a clear or white bulb, just these red bulbs maybe that is the issue?I remember having a daytime heat bulb for my last beardie, but the Petco employee told me this red one can be used both day and night. Let me know please
108487-1154490239.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Pet store employees rarely know what lighting most reptiles need , the red light is useless so take it back if you can. It sounds like your beardie has no uvb at all, one of the most crucial thing it needed and this is the result. Not your fault, you received bad advice. Your beardie needs a long tube Reptisun 10.0 for good uvb. Get one ASAP, for now take her outside and that will help her right away. Sit in the grass with her out in the sun, will you be able to do that ?

hgoldman1

Original Poster
Okay, she is out in the sun, in some warm water with me now, day light is slim here it is almost 7, I am having my mom run to Petco for that light do you think this will help"?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It should help, but she probably has never had uvb since she's been in the store so this will be tough to get her through. Is she eating anything ? BTW, just sit her on your lap rather than in water, or in the grass if it's 80 F or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom