I accidentally gave my son's beardie too much Baytril!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tellst

My son asked me to give his beadier her medicine last night and I accidentally gave her .5ml or Baytril instead of .06ml! (I'm not sure how much she weighs but she's about 6 years old and rather chunky) She obviously is not feeling very good and I'm really hoping I didn't kill her! Last night when I gave it to her she kind of spat at me and then her beard turned black. I thought she was just pissed off at me! I put her in the sink and got her to drink just a little bit of water...and then she pooped just a little. I held her for a bit then I put her to bed and she seemed to sleep all night. This morning my son said that she was really black and looked super pissed off and wouldn't let him touch her. We talked about the medicine and then I realized my mistake! We've been able to give her some water throughout the day, but she does get agitated when we open her cage. I've read that they can have soy yogurt but I'm scared to do anything other than water. Her eyes are very bright and lively still and she's somewhat active...not just laying around all day. I'm just so worried that she's dying slowly because of my stupid mistake!! I would really appreciate anyone's help. Thank you!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry that happened. That is a pretty big dose differential.
Well, you could give some activated charcoal if you have some. Or you can mix up some
mint, parsley, oregano & basil together to help detoxify her system. Blend it up & mix it with
water or cherry juice.
The non dairy soy yogurt would be fine, too.
The baytril does not taste good, it is very bitter.
Are you keeping her a little warmer overnight also, around 75-80?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

tellst

Original Poster
Hello. Thank you for your reply. She is still hanging in there and was more active today. She is still pretty black though and I know she’s uncomfortable. I ordered activated charcoal that will be delivered tomorrow. Do you have a recommendation of how much to give her? We gave her water and diluted Apple juice and a bit of yogurt today. She’s sleeping now. We have had her enclosure warmer than usual the last few nights.
I was wondering if i should put her in a warm bath tomorrow to see if it’ll help her poop. What do you think?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's good to hear she is doing a little better. What type of charcoal did you get, is it
powder in a capsule?
I can help guide you to give her a couple of doses. I would just need her weight, to get a
better dose for her.

Tracie

tellst

Original Poster
I brought the powder that’s in the capsule and Dump is right around 600 grams.
She did poop some today...right on my son’s lap! We were never so happy to see her pass something! Lol!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, great. The recommended dose is 1-3mg/grams of body weight. That wouldn't
equate to much but essentially if you have a scale, you can estimate & give just 1 mg
for her since she is doing better. That should help detox her system.
Just mix the 1 milligram of charcoal with 1 milliliter (1cc) of water & give her .6ml which
is just a little over half of 1 milliliter or 1cc.
Is her beard still dark or has it gotten better?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

tellst

Original Poster
108452-7860147538.jpg

Thank you! She woke up looking better with some orange showing through her black beard. I took this a little bit before her lights went out and it’s the first time in days she wasn’t black bearded. I really hope this means she’s going to be ok! How long should I give her the charcoal for? She hasn’t pooped since yesterday....should I be concerned about that?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today?
You can give another charcoal dose today (friday) & that should be enough I believe. Are you
giving extra oral fluids for her also?
Her beard is sure saggy, how long has it looked that way?
I am glad she is looking & feeling better. At least she isn't black bearding like she was! Keep
us posted on her.

Tracie

tellst

Original Poster
So that is what Is what caused us to give her meds in the first place. She has a lump in her beard. This pic is from a little bit ago. Funny because I really didn’t notice it then, but certainly see it now.
108452-5586915035.jpg
My son took her to the vet, they took out some fluid and sent it for testing. They said that it didn’t look like cancer and appeared to be a lot of inflammation. They put her on Meloxicam Oral Suspension 1.5mg/ml....her dosage was .2ml for one week...which ended yesterday. As you can see the lump is still there. I do believe it has gone down some. I was going to call the vet to see if I should continue with this medication. Also, I was going to ask you what i should do about the Baytril. Obviously, I haven’t given her any since I messed up her dosage...should I not give her anymore at all? I’ve been trying to give her extra fluids...she’s not liking it but I’ve been giving her diluted organic apple juice. I’ve been giving by syringe when she opens her mouth. I’m going to put her in the bath tomorrow. I did so yesterday after she pooped on my son but she didn’t drink anything. She looks much improved today, although she still hasn’t eaten anything on her own. I’m hoping her appetite will come back.
Thank you for all you do! I really appreciate it!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor little girl. Well, she's really a poor BIG girl, I've never seen such a swollen beard. Does she have trouble breathing at all ? How much does she weigh and does she move well ? What does she usually eat ? And can you list the exact brand of lights you have, including pic of the light placement ? I know it's a lot of Q's but hoping to see if something needs adjusting.

tellst

Original Poster
Yes, she really is a very sweet big girl! Most of the time she seems fine with her breathing...although sometimes we see her laboring a bit. Right now I’m not sure if it’s because she’s having trouble or if it’s because she’s distressed from not feeling well and having meds stuck in her mouth! She’s 600 grams and she moves really well. She’s a fast sucker...and down right determined! Her usual diet is Zilla’s reptile munchies omnivore mix with calcium...plus romaine, raspberries, blueberries, parsley, cilantro, tomatoes. The omnivore mix is the staple and the others are as I have them in the house. I also just purchased some mint and endive. I was giving her super worms every other day...but she was ignoring her veggies. I had to stop for a bit because I couldn’t get them from amazon. I just got some Phoenix worms in the mail today. So, she’s never been a big water drinker, therefore the only time she really poops is when I give her a bath. She can go over a week, 10 days without pooping. She always seemed so happy and active so we didn’t really worry too much.
108452-371747204.jpg
108452-1811306179.jpg
108452-6606354662.jpg
this is the set up in her habitat and the lights. I have ordered the zoo Med T5 HO UVB fixture with the appropriate lIghts...I just haven’t received them yet. Any help will be appreciated...I’ll answer as many questions as needed. We have a male that also has the same light setup. He’s a bit thinner, drinks more and poops more on his own. Thank you!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing? So her beard has gone down then?
What was she put on the baytril for? If it has been several days or so, you could finish out
her antibiotic cycle if it was being given for the inflammation in her beard.
Let us know what the lab test results are for her aspiration they did of the fluids. Hopefully,
it is just an infection & nothing else.

Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

tellst

Original Poster
She seems to be recovered from my accidental overdose but the swelling in her beard hasn’t gone down. We’ve been giving her the anti inflammatory and the antibiotic. She’s not really eating, we’ve been giving her water and diluted apple juice from a syringe, her colors are really light when she’s sleeping but dark during the day. She seems to be gaping a lot but I’m guessing she may be having problems breathing from the lump. She runs around when we have her out, but when she’s in her cage she lays under a log and sleeps. I’m waiting for a new 10.0 T5 HO lamp to arrive...hopefully tomorrow. I’m not sure if this is too little too late. My son is convinced she’s dying and is so sad. I’ll call the vet again tomorrow morning...hopefully I can get her in. Oh, the results of the aspiration said that she had lymphoid hyperplasia...but the vet said that was strange because they don’t have lymph nodes. He assumed it was inflammation and that what he treated her for. He did say if she doesn’t get better that it could be cancer. She’s not her sweet love able self and that makes us so sad.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific she is doing well & is back to normal now!
Poor thing, I hope she doesn't have cancer. They have thyroid glands but not sure about
lymph glands, I would have to check on that.
Has the lump gone down at all?
I hope the new T5 tube helps her out, it is a great light. Let us know how the vet visit goes,
if you are able to get her in. We will try to help as much as we can.

Tracie

tellst

Original Poster
I made an appointment for her to see the vet tomorrow...but I’m not feeling very hopeful. Today she opened her mouth wide and my son noticed something inside her throat. We didn’t want to fuss with her too much but it definitely looks like there is something large in there, which is I’m assuming is why she’s had her mouth open a lot more than normal. I think she’s trying to breathe. Also explains why she’s not eating or drinking. I’m doing research to see if I can figure out what it is. Poor girl just wants to sleep and be left alone. I think everytime we picked her up we were inadvertently making it harder for her to breathe. ?. I will let you know what the vet says tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom