My beardie isn’t active and barely eats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a one year old male bearded dragon named Stitch. His temps are perfect and he has UVB. He eats a diet of collard greens, zucchini and dandelion greens. He gets dubia roaches and super worms. He eats every other day with bugs.
I got a ball python 1 month ago. I’m wondering if the smell is stressing him out. He won’t eat, he stays under his cool hide 24/7. But he’s active out of the room. I immediately have thought the worse and thinking of internal parasites. But my parents seem to think it’s the snake.
Please help I’m very worried

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UVB?? Is it a coil or a tube? How old is the UVB? When they stop eating it sometimes or most of the time is a lighting issue - but we need to determine that first! Basking temps how are you taking them and what are the temps? Parasites can be caused by improper lighting and crickets of which your not feeding --- does his poop smell so bad it makes you want to leave the room another sign also runny poop--- I dont know if the snake would cause the stress but when did he quit eating before you got the snake or after?
Karrie

beardielover2319

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ejs9d4o said:
UVB?? Is it a coil or a tube? How old is the UVB? When they stop eating it sometimes or most of the time is a lighting issue - but we need to determine that first! Basking temps how are you taking them and what are the temps? Parasites can be caused by improper lighting and crickets of which your not feeding --- does his poop smell so bad it makes you want to leave the room another sign also runny poop--- I dont know if the snake would cause the stress but when did he quit eating before you got the snake or after?
Karrie

So he has tube UVB from arcadia and I just got it maybe two weeks ago. His old one died. His basking spot is 110 and I use a temp gun and digital thermometers. His poop isn’t awful smelling (not great) but it usually is slightly runny, he doesn’t really poop much since he doesn’t eat that much:/ He stopped after the snake got here but he has had the runny poops since before

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The runny poops could be diet and UVB -- I would recommend replacing the UVB a month before it expires --- T 5's last a year and T 8's 6 months - where is the UVB? inside the tank or on top of screen -- you telling be the UVB died is not good - they need to be replaced before then since I am assuming it was really old---------- is he losing weight? I would get a weight on him and then check it again in a week --- you can use a kitchen scale and weigh in grams-- you can have a fecal done to rule parasites out --- I would call the vet ask if you can bring a stool sample in then get a stool sample from him take it in and drop it off if the vet will do that - most will - tell them you want it checked for parasite etc- 2 weeks he should of starting eating again --- but I need to know where the UVB is first --- if its not placed properly it will effect his behavior
Karrie

beardielover2319

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1l56zua7 said:
The runny poops could be diet and UVB -- I would recommend replacing the UVB a month before it expires --- T 5's last a year and T 8's 6 months - where is the UVB? inside the tank or on top of screen -- you telling be the UVB died is not good - they need to be replaced before then since I am assuming it was really old---------- is he losing weight? I would get a weight on him and then check it again in a week --- you can use a kitchen scale and weigh in grams-- you can have a fecal done to rule parasites out --- I would call the vet ask if you can bring a stool sample in then get a stool sample from him take it in and drop it off if the vet will do that - most will - tell them you want it checked for parasite etc- 2 weeks he should of starting eating again --- but I need to know where the UVB is first --- if its not placed properly it will effect his behavior
Karrie
Oh I meant it expired not like ran out. It’s on top of the screen. I’m building a new tank for him soon with it inside. He hasn’t lost any weight.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the T 5 should be 12-15 inches from the basking decor piece-- the T 8 fixture needs the plastic cover off the bulb and distance 8-10 inches from basking decor -- if you look on the bulb it will say T 5 or T 8 --- if this is all correct I would move the snake to another room and see what happens -- is his beard black any stress marks on him?
Karrie

beardielover2319

Original Poster
KarrieRee":r2dsylps said:
Ok so the T 5 should be 12-15 inches from the basking decor piece-- the T 8 fixture needs the plastic cover off the bulb and distance 8-10 inches from basking decor -- if you look on the bulb it will say T 5 or T 8 --- if this is all correct I would move the snake to another room and see what happens -- is his beard black any stress marks on him?
Karrie
It’s a T5. It’s about 13 1/2 inches away from the basking spot.
I will move the snake to a different room, hopefully that works. And no he doesn’t have any stressed marks and has never black bearded except when he was a moody teen

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok can he see the snake? If he can cover the area so that he cant see it -- see if that will help-
if it does then you know its the snake stressing him out-- you can use newspaper wrapping paper magazine pages etc
Karrie

beardielover2319

Original Poster
KarrieRee":4f7s7mmp said:
Ok can he see the snake? If he can cover the area so that he cant see it -- see if that will help-
if it does then you know its the snake stressing him out-- you can use newspaper wrapping paper magazine pages etc
Karrie
I covered his tank in paper on the sides! And he is up high while the snake is on the ground

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So hes on the floor the snake in your room? Can he see him from where hes sitting ?
Karrie

beardielover2319

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1w7cw386 said:
So hes on the floor the snake in your room? Can he see him from where hes sitting ?
Karrie
Yeah the snake is down low on the ground in his tank and Stitch is on my dresser. He can not see him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so maybe its not the snake then thats causing him not to eat --- the T 5 is on top of your screen your basking decor piece should be sitting directly under it approx 8-10 inches from it- the UVB rays are being blocked by 30% --- make sure your T 5 is in correct placement --- we need to determine if this is what is causing him not to eat ---- how long has it been since he ate last and what are you feeding him
Karrie

beardielover2319

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1htcd9sr said:
Ok so maybe its not the snake then thats causing him not to eat --- the T 5 is on top of your screen your basking decor piece should be sitting directly under it approx 8-10 inches from it- the UVB rays are being blocked by 30% --- make sure your T 5 is in correct placement --- we need to determine if this is what is causing him not to eat ---- how long has it been since he ate last and what are you feeding him
Karrie
He ate his bugs last time maybe 8 days ago. And quite frankly I can’t even remember the last time it was salad. He gets fed dubia roaches, sometimes superworms, his salad has collard greens, zucchini, dandelion greens, occasionally squash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom