Dehydration/rehydration instructions - is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lalap1

So I posted a couple of weeks ago about our BD who seemed to possibly be going through relocation stress from upgrading the enclosure. Well whether or not it was the new tank that caused the lethargy and other symptoms, we’ve been told after bloodwork that she is dehydrated. So...these are the instructions from our vet: Give 1.5 ml of water/Pedialyte solution 3 times a day, bath more frequently, and invest in a mister that can be set on a timer to go off in the early AM.

So as far as the “dosing” goes, I don’t have her exact weight but do know she’d gained weight at each of the 2 visits leading up to this (the first visit he gave her B12 shot and some medication for pain as she’d been twitching at the time - twitching went away within a couple of days for most part though so I never gave the meds). I *think* she was maybe around 300 grams? So is that dose correct?

Lastly, once we’ve done this dosing, if she’s still not eating greens, how do we continue to maintain hydration? She hasn’t ever wanted to drink in the bathtub and also won’t even drink a droplet off the end of her nose. She’s been off greens since the “move” because she won’t eat them - even though we give new serving every day - but she does have a healthy appetite for crickets or wax worms with the occasional apple chunk. She also seemed to take to squash baby food the other day...Would offering her that a couple of times a week be an okay substitute for greens and/or water?

Thanks in advance!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hydrate those crickets w/ carrots the carrots are good hydration source that way you know she's getting water thru them -- another way is watering down the squash- watch her poops- her urate will be moist and white-- extra water is good- also I would get her some dubias- they are a better feeder-- less stinky less hassle easy to take care of and better nutritional value- they can be fed dubia food and carrots for hydration- just don't feed the dragon carrots too to much vit a-
Karrie

Lalap1

Original Poster
Thank you. Yes - that’s partly how I figured out it may be dehydration because the urate started turning partially orangish-brown and I read that was what caused it. The white part has been getting less and less since then so I’m hoping we caught this in time. We did try dubias once before and she didn’t love...but may try again. I had been putting some of the greens in with the crickets and thought that would be enough but maybe she was dehydrated before and not eating any greens and being stressed during the move just pushed her over the edge. These guys can be frustrating LOL.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you giving for supplements? D3 vitamins? Sometimes too much of those can turn the urate that color too --- just keep watching her poop you want it white formed and moist --- dehydration will cause it to look chalky and dried out
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom