Rockys front right leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys so I noticed this morning when I was going to move rocky’s roommate creed to his new terrarium that’s rocky was not moving around much and putting no weight on his front leg. Creed, my new beardie, had stayed in rockys cage for about a week before I got his new one built. They are both around the same age Rocky is a little older but a lover not a fighter. I would guess rocky is about 8-9 weeks judging by size (6.5 in). Anyways, his front right leg has no swelling and was fine last night. I feel like he might of got his nails caught in his hammock (where he sleeps) and tried pulling it and might of strained it. Again there isn’t and swelling and tomorrow I plan to take everything out of his cage the he can climb on and possible get hurt on and put in just a folded towel that he can get on to bask and no worry about falling. I don’t think it is broke or dislocated after reading around 10 different post from the past and I might be overthinking but it’s still worrisome. He is definitely getting he UVB and his temperatures are correct in basking area at about 110° and cool side at about 80-85. He gets his food dusted with calcium and vitamins on the regular and has a 10.0 uvb bulb and a 100w heat bulb. He loves dubia roaches and really won’t eat anything else unlike his brother who is super thick and stout and will eat anything that moves. SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I did contact a vet and she said that since it isn’t swollen a fracture and break are out of the picture since that is the bodies way of trying to hold it in place and that a torn muscle would cause discoloration of skin which it is not. He also looks like he is about to shed if that means anything. Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you have any pictures that would be helpful. The two dragons didn't fight did they?
They are housed separately now, correct?
It is possible he got his toe wedged in his hammock or his nail & hurt himself trying to get
out of it. That is a fairly common occurrence.
Shedding can affect the appearance, making something look a little more swollen than it
would be otherwise. Is he eating well right now or seem to be in any pain?

Tracie

Mason212476

Original Poster
Drache613":3thfdd3a said:
Hello,

If you have any pictures that would be helpful. The two dragons didn't fight did they?
They are housed separately now, correct?
It is possible he got his toe wedged in his hammock or his nail & hurt himself trying to get
out of it. That is a fairly common occurrence.
Shedding can affect the appearance, making something look a little more swollen than it
would be otherwise. Is he eating well right now or seem to be in any pain?

Tracie

There is no swelling whatsoever his leg looks completely normal he just doesn’t put weight on it. He can move it though. The two dragons were housed together for 1 week in the time k was building the new ones tank. They never fought or even showed anger towards each other. The problem started in the morning after I woke up to feed them and I moved the new beardie to his new tank after puttin in sand. But as for swelling there is no swelling and his arm is normally sized and he is not to the point of shedding yet that it is affecting appearance much at all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of Rockys leg --- and another thing I would ditch the sand --- it can cause impaction and it harbors bacteria --- you can use some textured NON adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile - most on here do not recommend sand --- the tile and shelf liner is cheap and can be bought at your local home improvement store
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

Mason212476

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2yfzoqbn said:
Please post pics of Rockys leg --- and another thing I would ditch the sand --- it can cause impaction and it harbors bacteria --- you can use some textured NON adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile - most on here do not recommend sand --- the tile and shelf liner is cheap and can be bought at your local home improvement store
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

I have been warned of sand and my dragons have both been on sand there whole loves with no problems whatsoever and there is a reptile shop in my area who is very very trustworthy who puts all there juveniles and adults on sand and they made sure I had right UVB and diet to ensure they would not get impaction. I know that there is still a chance and I originally tried to move them to the ceramic tile and they hated it and would never get off of there logs or hammocks to eat when it was in there. I feel as if they are most comfortable on sand and I have took all precautions to minimize risks of impaction. (None of this was to sound rude or like I was discrediting you by the way I can see how it would sound like it but I promise it was not intended to ?). And I will get a pic of his leg in the morning he is asleep right now!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A picture would be great, but I'm glad the leg isn't swollen though. It sounds like to me, that
he just strained it somehow.
If he is having trouble using it or putting weight on it then you can lower his basking spot to
where he doesn't have to climb very much.
A big reason why most of us don't recommend sand or other loose substrate is not only for
avoiding impaction but to cut down on bacteria harboring in loose substrates, also. Are you
using washed & sifted playsand instead of calci-sand? That would be the safer alternative.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Mason212476

Original Poster
Drache613":3sitmo5w said:
Hello,

A picture would be great, but I'm glad the leg isn't swollen though. It sounds like to me, that
he just strained it somehow.
If he is having trouble using it or putting weight on it then you can lower his basking spot to
where he doesn't have to climb very much.
A big reason why most of us don't recommend sand or other loose substrate is not only for
avoiding impaction but to cut down on bacteria harboring in loose substrates, also. Are you
using washed & sifted playsand instead of calci-sand? That would be the safer alternative.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Yes I am using washed sifted playsand. I take their sound out once a week and wash it in hot soapy water then pour out the water and rewatch again. ROCKY— is starting to use his leg more he’s still having trouble putting weight on it and he will eat a few roaches but no where’s near as many since he doesn’t want to chase them. I tired tweezer feeding and he’s not interested cuz the bug is trying to escape him (little physcopath I have). He seems to be felling better and is definitely moving around more than he was. He also is gripping my finger a little more with it and is actually moving his arm rather than just dragging it and letting it hand Beside him. I’ll attach photos below his arm in the picture looks a little puffy but compared to his left arm it’s the exact same and his left arm is fully fine ?
107919-3755573421.jpg
107919-7454146472.jpg
107919-762025472.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Rocky is a little cutie pie. So his hand is doing better now? It should heal right up here
soon, so hopefully it isn't hurting him too much. Did you lower his basking area right now
so he doesn't have to climb so much until it is fully healed up.
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie

Mason212476

Original Poster
Drache613":221xl303 said:
Hello,

Rocky is a little cutie pie. So his hand is doing better now? It should heal right up here
soon, so hopefully it isn't hurting him too much. Did you lower his basking area right now

Tracie

He is using it more I think the baths are balling because he’s swimming and not having to put weight on it. His appetite is still struggling he didn’t eat today and ate a few yesterday I put some dead cricket parts for him instead of love bugs where he can access him he does eat dead insects thankfully. His arm is definitely feeling better he isn’t not dragging it anymore and is at least holding on the things with it. And his basking spot is Lower. The “water therapy” is definitely helping though. Compared to my first post though there is improvement and he seems to be feeling better though. Anymore tips and help would be appreciated though thank y’all !!

Mason212476

Original Poster
Drache613":2omoaf7u said:
Hello,

Tracie
Addin to previous reply from earlier.
I’m just getting more and more worried also because u can definitely tell he’s getting skinnier. And I cannot lose this baby cuz he won’t eat.

Edit. I was able to rub his mouth with dubia roaches and he ate prolly 7-8. I felt bad but a lot of stuff I read said if they won’t eat u kinda gotta make them. Is there anyway to tell if there’s a dislocation ?? I don’t feel there is I’m just stressed at this point. -mason

Edit2: he ate I think 7 this morning doing the same mouth rub technique. And his brother creed ofc is eating an awesome amount everyday.

Final update. Rocky passed today may 23 he was struggling to move and eat and at least the pain is gone now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, Rocky passed away? I had thought he was just having a leg issue for the most
part but didn't realize he was that critical. I am so sorry to hear you lost him. :cry:

My condolences to you.

Tracie

Mason212476

Original Poster
Drache613":15533vc5 said:
Hello,

Oh no, Rocky passed away? I had thought he was just having a leg issue for the most
part but didn't realize he was that critical. I am so sorry to hear you lost him. :cry:

My condolences to you.

Tracie

Thank you it means a lot. I thought he was improving as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome, it is never easy to lose one, especially when it is so sudden or
unexpected. :cry:
If you need anything at all, we are here for you.

Tracie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

As a new dragon owner, it's scary to read that they can seem fine or like there's just a small non-critical issue and then be gone! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom