My Bearded Dragon is very sick.. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have literally no where else to turn. All the vets are closed, and my almost two year old beardy is gravely I’ll. He was fine last night, though he did have a rather abnormally smelly bout of diarrhea. I woke up today and his beard was black, body pale and eyes sunken! Gave him an emergency bath, some Pedialyte mixed water through a syringe, and he still looks horrible. It’s been at least 7 hours since I first noticed this. He was moving a bit, seemed to get more alert with the water at first, but then he puked. I gave him a bit more water and he either puked up all of his food from yesterday, or it passed through undigested; sadly I was not here when he did it. I am desperate for some help.. I don’t know anywhere else to turn. His light is a 100 watt basking bulb and a uvb light. He usually has carpet substrate but I put him on towels since he had his recent illness.heres a pic.
77637-669897958.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How are you taking temps? Digital probe or stick ons and most important here too is the UVB? What are you using for UVB coil or tube ? Brand and bulb please ---
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor boy, he really is very sick. All you can do now is keep offering the water/Pedialyte a little at a time. Some beardies that go downhill so quickly have possible kidney or liver problems and some have cancer. It's still good to list the bulbs you have what the temps. are. Has your house heated up recently due to changing weather + so his tank is also too hot, maybe near a sunny window ?

starsearcher4

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1hdxwxua said:
How are you taking temps? Digital probe or stick ons and most important here too is the UVB? What are you using for UVB coil or tube ? Brand and bulb please ---
Karrie

100 watt repti Basking spot lamp from Zoomed. His temps are around 100 under the light. It’s rainy here, I don’t think he is too hot. I don’t have the heat on.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
And your getting that temp how? Probe thermometer stick on????????????? And the UVB this is very important---- brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it?
Karrie

starsearcher4

Original Poster
KarrieRee":18lrqlrp said:
And your getting that temp how? Probe thermometer stick on????????????? And the UVB this is very important---- brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it?
Karrie

A little stick on thermometer. I have no idea what it is called, the uvb is a bulb coil, I don’t know the brand I changed it three months ago so it couldn’t have gone bad

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok that is not accurate temp -- that is ambient temp now UVB I need to know what your using for a UVB
Karrie

starsearcher4

Original Poster
KarrieRee":341ujd50 said:
Ok that is not accurate temp -- that is ambient temp now UVB I need to know what your using for a UVB
Karrie

I don’t have the packaging on me. But how could the light cause him to suddenly go through this? That is usually a long, progressive issue yes?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, this isn't about lights + temp. unless there was some sudden spike in temps. to cause him to over heat. When can you get him to a vet ?

starsearcher4

Original Poster
AHBD":j2kk3ls7 said:
Yeah, this isn't about lights + temp. unless there was some sudden spike in temps. to cause him to over heat. When can you get him to a vet ?
Soonest is probably Monday. I love in a extremely rural area and with covid- everyone’s shut down. He is drinking a lot of water but it’s like it’s not.. doing anything. His body doesn’t look dehydrated just his eyes

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Look on the bulb is it a tube or coil? Coil would be in a dome and a tube long fixture - both of those bulbs are going to give you the brand and the wattage --- please look --- we need to see if these is a UVB issue I am trying to rule out lighting --- your basking temps is incorrect -- you need to get a digital probe thermometer from petco or petsmart for $6 since AHBD is saying vet time then you should probably do that but UVB is extremely important as well --- if your using a coil you need to get rid of it they are NO good
Karrie

starsearcher4

Original Poster
KarrieRee":tbunxz4e said:
Look on the bulb is it a tube or coil? Coil would be in a dome and a tube long fixture - both of those bulbs are going to give you the brand and the wattage --- please look --- we need to see if these is a UVB issue I am trying to rule out lighting --- your basking temps is incorrect -- you need to get a digital probe thermometer from petco or petsmart for $6 since AHBD is saying vet time then you should probably do that but UVB is extremely important as well --- if your using a coil you need to get rid of it they are NO good
Karrie

starsearcher4

Original Poster
KarrieRee":rgurxnxc said:
Karrie
Its a coil. I thought I said that before? I can’t really grab it out of the fixture right this minute, but I will tell you what it is when it cools off. Sorry for the dual post, I keep pressing the wrong buttons with my fat fingers on this tiny phone.

starsearcher4

Original Poster
It is an Exoterra 150 UVB coil bulb. Replaced 3 months ago. My vet told me to replace the lighting once every 6 months.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok you dont need to tell me anymore--- you need to get that replaced w/ this - if your tank is 40 gallon or bigger you need to get a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 or a T 8 difference between the 2 is bulb strength --- T 5's can go either inside the tank or on top of screen -- T 8's need to go inside the tank -- both have different distances they need to be --- you need to get this ASAP ---
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/8/t5-ho.jpg this is instock now - do not use the bulb that comes w/ it its not for reptiles
ok so they are out of the bulbs on this website so you can get it from here another fixture
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/2934-large_default/reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.jpg
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/4445-large_default/d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22-arcadia.jpg
this bulb is a great bulb --- I would look at getting this ASAP-- the fixture from pangea will take this bulb as well --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom