Bearded dragon water aspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my bearded dragon beaker took a large drink earlier today and climbed down my bed while I had him out and aspirated after throwing up I guess his beard turned jet black he was gasping and breathing hard. His condition has improved and he is now walking around still has a slight black beard and seems to be active and alert. I am thinking that his beard is just from stress as he has never thrown up before, thanks.

Forgot to mention I angled him downward and a large amount of liquid came out of him

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

That is good that you angled him down and were able to drain the liquid. He should be fine, but you might want to keep him a bit warmer (80) tonight to help his immune system out.

Is he breathing better now?

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thats good next time he is in the bath do not let him drink so fast -- he must of been dehydrated --- I would get him back in his tank and put him under his basking lights -- keep an eye on him
Karrie

BeakerARand19

Original Poster
Claudiusx":1zxy2ul3 said:
Hi there,

That is good that you angled him down and were able to drain the liquid. He should be fine, but you might want to keep him a bit warmer (80) tonight to help his immune system out.

Is he breathing better now?

-Brandon

Hello his beard is once again black but he is breathing normal again

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is his basking temp and how are you taking it? NO stick ons they are inaccurate--- and UVB what are you using coil or tube? His beard is probably black from being distressed w/ the water aspiration -
Karrie

BeakerARand19

Original Poster
KarrieRee":63xx7b86 said:
What is his basking temp and how are you taking it? NO stick ons they are inaccurate--- and UVB what are you using coil or tube? His beard is probably black from being distressed w/ the water aspiration -
Karrie

He has a reptisun 10.0 his basking spot reaches 110 and his cool side is 80 I measure with a temp gun.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
reptisun 10.0 is that a coil or a tube ? Where in the tank ? Inside or top of screen ? If its a tube is it a T 5 or a T 8? ok good on the temp
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's ok, it's a very stressful situation so he is likely still quite upset by it. As long as he is breathing ok that is good.

The worst that could happen now is he develops a URI, so keeping him warmer like suggested will help him clear his lungs before any potential infection could set in.
If you can, having him sleep while slightly angled downwards will help too.

Just watch out for symptoms of an RI over the next week or so.

-Brandon

BeakerARand19

Original Poster
Claudiusx":2uu46qs8 said:
That's ok, it's a very stressful situation so he is likely still quite upset by it. As long as he is breathing ok that is good.

The worst that could happen now is he develops a URI, so keeping him warmer like suggested will help him clear his lungs before any potential infection could set in.
If you can, having him sleep while slightly angled downwards will help too.

Just watch out for symptoms of an RI over the next week or so.

Will do

-Brandon

BeakerARand19

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3b9d7pow said:
reptisun 10.0 is that a coil or a tube ? Where in the tank ? Inside or top of screen ? If its a tube is it a T 5 or a T 8? ok good on the temp
Karrie

It’s a T8 and is hanging under the screen he has an area to sit under it too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok that is good ---- well keep an eye on him and hopefully the black beard will go away by morning -- but like Brandon said I would try and keep him warmer over nite like close to 80 to ward off a RI-- you can use a CHE ceramic heat emitter or use a heating pad set on low and place some dish towels over it and place him on it --- see if you can get a ambient temp in the tank after the lights are shut off for a while
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom