New baby not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I got a baby bearded dragon a week ago, he is roughly 5 inches long and he is not eating very much and he spends most of his time basking. Is it just the relocation stress?

His tank set up is as follows..
20 gallon tank
Tile for substrate
75 watt basking bulb
Long 10.0 T8 reptisun bulb mounted 7 inches from the main basking spot under the mesh screen.
The basking spot stays about 102-110 depending on the amount of airflow in the room (door open or shut).
The cool side is about 72-75 degrees on average.
A ceramic heat emitter for nighttime which keeps his tank about 80-85 degrees.
Several hides/branches and a water dish.

The second day I had him he ate about 11 small crickets and then went through a shed. Since then (the last 5 days) he has only eaten 2-3 crickets a day and has never eaten any of the fresh veggies I have supplied (kale, orange and red peppers, cilantro).
I have tried dusting his food with calcium powder but have only gotten him to eat 1 or 2 crickets with it. Tonight I got him to eat 1 cricket with herptivite vitamin powder on it. I got some flukers repti-boost tonight too that I will give to him tomorrow so he can start getting the proper nutrition.

He has received 3 baths in the last week to help with the shed and hydration. From what I can tell his poops have been normal looking and usually he poops once a day.

Like I said before, could it just be relocation stress making him eat so little? Am I just worrying for nothing? I've only had him for a week and I am a first time beardie owner. I have done extensive research but I just want to make sure I help the little guy the best way I can. I have found a reptile vet I can take him to if I absolutely need to but I just wanted to see what other people's opinions are before I spend more money on a vet visit.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like probably just relocation stress. Your set up all sounds good so that wouldn't be a problem. Can you post pics of the set up + your baby, also pics of a coin next to the crickets to show the size ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Sounds like you've done your research and have a great setup going. I worried a bunch about our baby too when we first got her. Now that we've had her a few months, I only worry some. ;)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Everything looks good and beardie is a cutie as usual. :) Only suggestion I would make is to take the water bowl out at night. Babies can fall asleep in them at times . You might also lower the basking bulb down another 2 inches to be sure the basking area is warm enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? If its a coil and its a 13 watt you need to ditch it--- they are NO good - you need a tube fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb -- they are the best on the market at this time
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Karrie , the O.P. mentioned it in her first post, you must have missed it. It's also seen in the picture.

Yukonalona

Original Poster
I am using a tube 10.0 t8 reptisun bulb in a reflective fixture. It is fixed 7 inches from his basking spot. It is brand new.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
BTW, welcome to the dragon club!
Ours was meant to be a pet for our kiddos and I didn't realize how fascinated I would become with it...they are just so fun!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom