baby bearded dragon no longer eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are totally new to bearded dragons. We got a baby bearded dragon 1 week ago. I measured him at 4" long, so I'm estimating (from charts I found online) that he's between 1-2mo old. He was smaller than the other 2 babies in the tank with him at the pet store, which may be a bad sign, but he was very alert and moved around a lot and my kids liked how active he was.
When we got him home, I felt like he was eating well initially - 5-10 small crickets at a time 3x/day. Over the past week, though, he is eating less and less and I'm starting to really worry about him. Now, he's only eaten a few crickets a day for the past 2 days. I got him some "Phoenix worms" and the first day, he loved them at ate about 10 at a time. Now, I have to put them right in front of him or even hold them with feeding tongs and he'll eat a few a day that way. I put chopped up greens and a couple other grated veggies in a small tray each day, even though I've read that babies often won't touch them - mostly just to offer them and expose him to them. I've put some Juvenile Bearded dragon food in and moistened it to a soft mash, but he won't eat that either.
He is still pooping 1-2x/day.
He's got a water dish that I put him in once a day with warm water - he'll occasionally drink a little while he's in there, but not recently.
I tried moving him to a smaller container to feed him, but he freaks out in it and doesn't eat in it so far, so I went back to feeding him in the 40gal tank.
The set-up he's in is a 40 gallon Zoo Med kit we got at the pet store. It has a large combo deep dome lamp fixture with a 10.0 compact UVB bulb and a 100w bulb. The temp at the highest basking spot is between 105 and 110 and the cool side of the tank is usually around 80 degrees during the day. I only have the stick-on thermometers so far. When I turn the lights off at night, it gets down to around 70degrees. I put in a rock heater in case he wants somewhere warmer at night, but he seems to choose to sleep on the cool side of the tank away from the rock heater.
Not sure what else I need to do - I see a lot of replies focusing on the temperature and lighting, so maybe I need to make adjustments there? I'll attach a picture of our setup.
108101-9011075841.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
10.0 compact UVB bulb get rid of this and get this a 24" fixture w/ reflector and this a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 -- you can order from here http://www.lllreptile.com/products/22467-zoo-med-24-t5-high-output-terrarium-hood -- my other go to places are out --- you need to get a digital probe thermometer from petco or petsmart $6 --- basking temps need to be 105-110 --- I will post more info later but for now get your basking temps and UVB going -- do not order off Amazon they are too far out for shipping like a week or longer its best to order directly from a store
Karrie

goodefamily

Original Poster
Thanks for the help!
I'm going to go to a couple of pet stores in town to see if I can find the UVB lamp and bulb you recommended. Should I keep the double dome with the 100w bulb still in it for heat or get rid of that set-up altogether? Is the UVB lamp/bulb for both heat and UVB or do you need the additional heat bulb?
I'll get a digital probe thermometer also to be sure I'm getting accurate temperatures.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110-- it is good to offer a heat gradient - a good piece of decor that has different places for them to sit stand or lay on is good - Petsmart has some good decor for that - the UVB does not put out any heat -- so get what you can and let me know so we can help place it -- T5's can sit on top of screen T8's need to go inside the tank - so please let us know what you get so we can help-- you can keep the double dome just get rid of the coil- also if its too big or takes up too much room a single dome would be better --- NO COLORED BULBS - if you have one or are using one get rid of it!! They disrupt sleep and can cause long term eye damage--- your cool side of the tank should be 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite --- they cool and dark to sleep -- I can post links for insects and worms let me know if you need them --- you need to dust his staple insect 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins 2 x per week -- he should be getting fresh salads every morning about an hr after lights on here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html kale is a good staple feeder
Karrie

goodefamily

Original Poster
Thanks again!
I went to Petco and Petsmart here in Reno, but neither of them has the 24" T5 bulb or light fixture, so I'm going to order them online. Once that arrives, I will replace the UVB bulb in the double fixture and I got another 100W and 50W bulbs to put in the second spot depending on what the temperature looks like with the digital probe we just bought - so far it's reading 105F in the basking spot.
We also got a green mat for the ground - the crickets kept getting under the paper towel and I think he was having a hard time seeing the white (calcium dusted) crickets on the white paper towels - he just ran after and ate 2 crickets on the green mat as soon as I put it in.
I also got a background for the back of the glass tank - he runs up to it and into it a lot - I think seeing through it is making him freak out more - maybe an opaque background is better?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you ordering from LLL Reptiles? No Amazon they are taking way too long to ship-- you can use newspaper wrapping paper or paper bags for background put on outside of tank--- make sure you watch basking temps nothing over 110-- a gradient heat works great- that way they can pick temp they want to sit
Karrie

goodefamily

Original Poster
Yes - I ordered through LLL. Says should ship in 5 business days. I've got the heat light in one corner of the tank with a perching structure with multiple levels on it just below that so hopefully he has a variety of temperatures to choose from.
Any tips for getting him to drink? I put him in the warm water once a day and mist him and try to drip water on his nose with a syringe - sometimes works, but he only seems to take a sip every few days recently.
He also molted recently - does that change their appetite?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes shedding will effect it --- you can wash his greens or salad before serving - he will get moisture thru them as well as gutloading the insects - I feed mine carrots but not to my dragons too much vit A - the carrots are great for hydration --- if hes drinking every couple of days that is good -- you can tell by the poop you want firm moist and dark the urate firm moist and white excess water is good means hes hydrated--- let me know when you get the UVB we can help you get it placed properly
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
IAM bad should of told you to order a 22" bulb for the fixture-- did you order that size?
Karrie

goodefamily

Original Poster
When I ordered the light fixture through LLL, it says it comes with a 22" bulb that fits it, so I didn't order an extra one.
Thanks for making sure and for all the help so far!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Look at the bulb when it comes it should be a 10.0 not a 5.0 -- if it's a 5.0 it will need to go into the tank--- please let me know-- please take the heat rock out of the tank- it's actually hazardous in there- temps in the tank can be 65 or above at nite--- if they are falling below that you would need a CHE or ceramic heat emitter---
Karrie

goodefamily

Original Poster
Update:
Good news is that our little beardie has been eating much better the last 4-5 days - eating 8-10 medium Phoenix worms and 20-30 small crickets each day now. He even tried a bit of greens.
Bad news is that the light fixture and new bulb arrived from LLL today, but doesn't work. I even went to a local pet shop and got a new bulb, but it still won't work, so I'm going to have to see about getting a replacement.
Hope he keeps eating while I try to get his lighting just right!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good grief! Yes get a hold of them and see what they will do - fixture sounds like it is / was defective! In the mean time if you have nice weather 65+ degrees take him out in direct sunlight for 15 minutes in a plastic container No GLASS-- or you can put him on you-- but you need to be careful you don't lose him if you use a plastic container only 15 minutes as the container will get hot- you can do it in intervals-this will equal out to 4 hrs of UVB--
Karrie

goodefamily

Original Poster
Thanks - will do. We live in the desert and its been in the 80's with very sunny days recently, so I'll do that until I can get the proper lighting for him!

Hey what a cutie! My babies are 11 and 6 years old I miss those days sometimes. I just wanted to offer some advice. The heat rock is dangerous because dragons don't regulate their body Temperature like that. So many beardies have been severely burned because they don't realize its happening. The Arcadia T5 does not have to be below the lid on that top.I think that's the best one and you can find deals on them alot more. I literally got my one beardies Arcadia hood for 26 bucks ! Now thats a deal! While babies need alot more feeders when they are younger your guy looks like he's Really small. Not every dragon is the same. I think your guy is pigging out and eating till he gets a belly ache then isn't able to eat for a couple days due to that. Next time you go to the grocery store just grab a few chicken baby food that way if your ever that worried you can use a syringe and put drops on his nose for him to eat. Also I always keep baby food prunes and pumpkin both will get your guy pooping if ever a problem. My girl beardie is so spoiled she got lazy and wouldn't eat unless I fed her baby food with the syringe. She still does it to me. Not to mention all the things over the years I've been through. Middle of the night or first thing in the morning. Always good to be prepared. I order most of my stuff on Chewy.com so much cheaper for gut loader for crickets and the gel water for them. Good luck with that little cutie your going to have some good times ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom