Bruce isn't eating or energetic, I'm worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So - he would eat a few weeks ago - quite heartily from his salad and hten he stopped that. He would only beeline for the worms, and today I got dubia and BSFL as well as supers but he's not interested AT ALL. He did eat two hornworms, quickly, but he looks lethargic and not alert, bright eyed and energetic like normal.

He's been moved into a 70 gal tank.

New lights went up this week: Reptisun T5 HO 10 UVB on the top of his tank - no screen. it sits about 9 inches from his highest spot.

Basking lamp of heat avgs 105 or so, digital probe and heat gun verified.

Cool side 80 with a ceramic heat emitter (otherwise it gets cool) between 29-40% humidity depending on house.

His poop was super runny yesterday.

Just a few days ago he was running around our room -there' s nothing in here he could have gotten into. I gave him a bath today and had to lift his face out of the water. it was low.

he's completely uninterested in scurrying dubia, supers, bsfl, or mealworms. I thought he was just being picky but this lack of movement worries me. He only moves up onto his basking spot, or off just below. His eyes are open, mostly, but he seems to be worse than just a few days ago when I thought he just didn't like the food.

Other than the two horn worms, he had half of a blackberry (which is the red on his face). The one of him walking was just two days ago. He has barely moved today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 5 is too close -- w/ no screen it should be 12-15 inches from basking spot --- to me the poop looks normal --- lots of water which is good means hes hydrated ---so he was running around the small tank and now in the 70 gallon hes not moving ?
Karrie

Beansdragons

Original Poster
Correct. He was super active, and now he's not.He's barely moved all day except for from his bask to the lower spot. He keeps going under that little log. I'll move the T5 up. Could that be why?

Beansdragons

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1gxnetel said:
The T 5 is too close -- w/ no screen it should be 12-15 inches from basking spot ---
Karrie

just measured from the top of the basking spot to the bottom of the light is 13 inches.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so you are good there-- is he still not moving- before or after move?
Karrie

Beansdragons

Original Poster
Today really is the first day I’ve seen this. He’s been kinda off his food but I thought it was because I changed his tank. He was pretty alert yesterday but today he’s hardly moved.

Also the light hasn’t moved, that’s where it was. Is it too much? He had a coil
Light before.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds like hes having relocation stress --- but not to quit eating all together is odd-- the light are you talking about the UVB ? 13 inches is good --
Karrie

Beansdragons

Original Poster
Yea he usually goes insane for mealworms. He also only poops every two days or so, is that normal? He just seems, tired

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So I would keep an eye on his weight-- -- keep offering him his food- as long as he's eating something not losing weight and pooping - them going every couple days is normal some don't poop for weeks--- he could just be off his food - mine haven't been eating alot either-- I think it's the weather
Karrie

Beansdragons

Original Poster
So, good news! this morning Bruce destroyed 4 dubia, 1 super, and an unknown amount of bsfl! then he pooped all over his hide. Because - beardie.

Poo was normal looking from what I could tell. I moved the CHE over him last night, it gets to 65-70 in our house at night in his room, so I kept him around 85-87 last night, put down some soft "blankets" (aka, old soft towels) in his enclosure, and left him alone with fresh salad and a bowl of items to choose from.

He has been on the "cool" side (85*F) since he pooped this morning around 9 and literally hasn't budged since. This is what I was talking about. he ate, but he isn't moving around now. He's more alert than yesterday, but not active at all.

do you think he just gets too cold at night? When he goes into his hide, I have to take him out in the morning to warm him up. Seems like he should do it by himself?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They like cool and dark their metabolism slows gives them a better sleep at nite--- 85 is too warm unless he's sick
Karrie

Beansdragons

Original Poster
So, Bruce coughed up/threw up/burped up water. Is that ok? Should I be concerned?

I have a camera in his enclosure (2 actually) and I saw this. The video is a screen recording and while I was watching I rewound and watched again.

Sorry for the slo-mo puke.

https://youtu.be/oyq0iee5G3s

Beansdragons

Original Poster
I don't know if he's sick, upset about his cage, normal and i"m still freaking out.
I've been reading as much on beardie behavior as I can and all I can say is he used to be way more active and he ate a lot more. Now he barely touches his food. His beard is black evne though temps are up to 107 in his bask spot (I'll make it less hot) and he threw up or something yesterday. He did have a bath and he ate 2 hornworms. He barely touched his salad but he did lie in it for a few hours. He hasn't pooped for 3 days despite warm baths but he's hardly eaten.

he's currently sleeping in my lap. A few days ago he was all over our room, his cage, his decorations, and now nothing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds like he has an upset stomach- pooping every couple of days is normal and if he's not eating alot he's not gonna poop alot-- keep him hydrated-- the horn worms are a good hydrating worm--- the throwing up could be a number of things- I will flag this post so Tracie and ahbd can give advice as to what they think
Karrie

Beansdragons

Original Poster
Thanks.

I made a vet for tomorrow at 130. I won’t get to be in there with him either. I’m hoping he’s ok. I loved how alert he was and how outgoing. I hate seeing him like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom