Not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, for the past two weeks or so, my male bearded dragon who is about 2 years old has stopped eating, but is continuing to drink water. I have read on a couple sites that some bearded dragons do slow down their metabolism when it is colder out/winter months (i am in NY). I am just getting a little worried however, because he seems to be losing some weight. I have tried feeding dubia roaches, superworms, berries, and greens but he simply is not interested/closes his eyes when i try to hand feed. My lighting is up to the standard: basking bulb, ceramic heat emitter, and a linear uvb that spans 75% of his enclosure. Any advice about what might be going on would be greatly appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UVB is up to standard? What is that? Its possible he could have parasites--- does he have runny poops and do they smell so bad it make you want to leave the room? One of the many reasons for not eating-- also basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons -- they are inaccurate
Karrie

tierneymayette

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. i have a t5 linear uvb bulb its almost at the 6 month age so i just ordered an arcadia t5 that should get here within the next few days. Am measuring the temperature with a digital temperature/humidity gage on both the warm and cool sides.

Also, he is only passing urate; there is no poop, i suppose from not eating for the past two weeks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds like hes dehydrated possibly--- the T 5 is where in the tank or on top of tank? Distance plays a role in the UVB rays------------ keep your Arcadia you have coming its probably not the UVB -- try giving him some water either by bathing or syringe give slowly so he does not aspirate and or/ dropping water on his nose--------- is the urate white chalky dry looking?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Post a pic of him-- I am thinking something else now but we need Tracie the vet mod to look at him
Karrie

tierneymayette

Original Poster
The uvb is currently mounted inside the tank. He is also drinking every other day from his water bowl/in baths...his urates are chalky and white/yellow in color.
107806-572431572.jpg
107806-1708703931.jpg
107806-3124946915.jpg
]. Here are a few pictures of him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Distance to basking decor for UVB???? Is the UVB directly above him -- can he sit directly under it ? The white chalky is dehydrated but it could also be too much supplements as well --- what kind of supplements are you giving him
Karrie

tierneymayette

Original Poster
Yes, he can sit directly under it. It is about 4-5 in away from him. There is a hammock and branch that allows him to get under the backing light and UVB light. His urates were yellowish in color this afternoon. I am currently dusting salads with calcium w/ D3 twice a week and adding in a multivitamin in once a week, but he has not ate anything in about 2 weeks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok for the T 5 its too close for distance - it needs to be 12-15 inches above the basking decor -- that could be one reason why hes not eating but I am not sure --- I would get it moved up - so your not giving too much calcium so that is good --- but not sure if that UVB is causing the yellow urate
Karrie

tierneymayette

Original Poster
Okay, I will move the UVB to be a little further, i think it is more like 7-8 in away not 5in... but i move some things around to make it the proper distance. Should i not mount the UVB on the inside of the enclosure?
I think i will look and see if anyone else had had the yellow urate problem...
Thank you for your help thus far i appreciate it!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can leave it in the tank but it should be 12-15 inches from his basking spot------ it is in a fixture w/ a reflector correct?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No your good -- lets let some others weigh in on possible causes for the yellow urate --- I am gonna flag the post to AHBD and Tracie and see what they think
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom