Beardie drank too much water!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

I gave my 3 year old beardie a bath today, he normally doesn't drink water independently (I spray his veggies with water), but this time he put his snout a tiny bit under the water and began drinking slowly. He seemed very thirsty, as he just kept drinking, and it's my fault for letting him drink that much. But after the bath, he became very active (as he usually does around this time) and when he was running around my room, he started hiccuping once or twice, and his beard turned black. Which then I put him back in his tank under his basking spot, and shortly his beard returned to normal, and didn't hiccup anymore. But it kinda scared me for a bit.

Did I let him drink too much water? I thought beardie's would instinctively know when too much is too much and stop drinking, but he just kept drinking! He closed his eyes as he was drinking and looked really relaxed, so I felt bad as I thought he might of been really thirsty.

Is he going to be ok? I made sure to fully clean the sink (like I always do before I give him a bath) and disinfect it and everything.

Didn't take a picture with his beard black or while hiccuping, but here he is shortly after:

93594-8204608885.jpg

Update: He is flexing his beard (abit of the neck area too) a lot right now, puffing it in and out every now and then, but no black beard.

Update: He's not doing that anymore, he basked for a lil bit then started getting really active again (he came out of brumation a month and a half ago, he's been crazy active since) and wanted out, so he is roaming around my room again lol. Although his beard is a bit more inflated than usual.

Last update: So his beard turns black again after a bit of roaming around my room, and he is head bobbing me a lot! So for now he is back in his tank, but he refused to bask since he already basked for a while today. His beard turns back to normal shortly after, i think walking around might be uncomfortable for him right now, even though he wants to walk.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's O.K. if they drink a lot but you CAN try to gently lift their head if they guzzle for more than a minute just so they don't aspirate or possibly puke some up. His black bearding is probably hormonal, his body is telling him it's time to look for a bearded beauty. :)

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2ed1ey7p said:
Hi there, it's O.K. if they drink a lot but you CAN try to gently lift their head if they guzzle for more than a minute just so they don't aspirate or possibly puke some up. His black bearding is probably hormonal, his body is telling him it's time to look for a bearded beauty. :)

He black beards every now and then because of hormones and spring fever after brumation, but I thought this time was because of drinking too much water. But its most likely just hormonal like you said.

He seems pretty stable right now, actually laying down on his basking spot with head up and alert.

Now I know to keep an eye on him every time he drinks water.

Thank you! :)

And indeed he is looking for a partner, the headbobbing, the black bearding, the dude even walks up to the mirror in my room every time he is free to roam around. Every. Time. Lol. He walks up to the mirror and starts fighting himself its pretty funny/cute, but I don't let it go for too long.

But anyways, thanks for the reply!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. ! And yeah, sounds like he wants to challenge any rivals, especially the one in the mirror. :lol:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is very handsome! :D
I agree, he will be alright, this happens often when they drink from their bath. He was
obviously thirsty though. He looks like he is hitting puberty so black bearding is very
normal.
Just keep an eye on him, but he should be fine.

Tracie

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":11cqeg5v said:
Hello,

He is very handsome! :D
I agree, he will be alright, this happens often when they drink from their bath. He was
obviously thirsty though. He looks like he is hitting puberty so black bearding is very
normal.
Just keep an eye on him, but he should be fine.

Tracie

This might be a dumb question but is it ok if the water stays in his belly for a while? He hasn't pooped since. I mean he did poop yesterday but it was just a tiny bit, and the white part of the poop (liquid) was small also. And he looks a bit bloated I think. He's been eating his collard greens almost daily along with occasional squash, and fed him 2 superworms yesterday, so im hoping he poops and with it a big chunk of pee with it since he did drink a lot of water. Along with veggies, he is also very active still and roaming around my room for a long time almost every day so he is exercising a lot.

93594-2901202580.jpg
bonus sexy leg pic

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The water should pass through eventually, what isn't used by his body. It's OK if this takes some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom