Sick baby fancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok y’all. I purchased a baby fancy bearded dragon three days ago from someone online met him seemed like a very nice person and trustworthy so I brought the baby beardie home and I purchased a 10 gallon tank temporarily and the basking light and uvb coil light. My thermometer in middle of tank says 78 currently I just turned the light on however it stays in 80 range in middle of the tank. But my baby beardie isn’t eating and is like constantly sleeping. I’m really concerned and I’m not sure what to do reading here she needs a bigger tank and different uvb bulb but I currently am not able to go buy a new tank and bulb cause me and my bf are both out of work any ideas or tips I’ll try anything at this point

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to get a bigger tank your dragon is going to quickly out grow that 10 gallon in a month or two -- I would look on Craigslist or FB marketwatch --- look for a 40 or bigger tank - the bigger the better and if you find one make sure you sanitize it real good before use-----try and find one w / front doors ---- and yes that coil light is a horrible light --- I will give you a website for a better UVB it will cost you around $60 including shipping --- http://www.pangeareptiles.com look under fixtures get this one
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/thumbnails/295/250/detailed/8/xt5-ho.jpg.pagespeed.ic.z3iAnPjvMi.webp
Get this bulb its one of the best on the market
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/thumbnails/295/250/detailed/5/xzoo-med-uvb-10-T8.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BHjxewlUGb.webp these people are fast and good they ship Fed EX
I am having you get the T 8 bulb now since you have the 10 gallon tank its not as strong as the T 5 so that one requires more distance than the T 8 meaning it needs to be closer and the T 5 needs to be farther -- you can take the T 8 and set it on top of the tank w/ no screen on it and have the distance approx 8-10 inches from the basking decor --
Your dragon is going to go thru relocation stress so he may slow down on eating but he should be eating something your dragon will not eat w/ out proper basking temps and good UVB --
Next you need to get your basking temps up to 105-110 -- get a dome w/ a clamp on it and get a 75 watt bright white basking bulb I am guessing on the bulb wattage but you MUST HAVE A DIGITAL PROBE to get a temp you can get digial probes from Petco or Petsmart for $5 -- that small of a tank it is hard to get temps correct and you dont want to burn him up--- you need to be offering fresh salads every day here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing it is a good staple feeder
he needs crickets or dubia roaches for a staple feeder you can order dubias and other good worms from here -- http://www.dubiaroaches.com - these people are good - keep your 10 gallon aquarium for the roaches they are alot easier to care for and last longer than crickets -- plus they are a healthier feeder - you can feed them dubia food and other stuff your dragon eats and feed them carrots for hydration --- you need to dust those insects 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins 2 x per week -- I am posting a pic of my 20 gallon that I had set up when I got Blaze the fixture going width wise on the tank is a 18" fixture w/a T 8 bulb and the light on the far end clamped was a 75 watt basking bulb -- the one hanging was on heat emitter I used for a few days -- the 78 degree temp you have in the middle of the tank now what are you using for a basking bulb what wattage?
97951-9562450009.jpg

Karrie

RebelBlondie24

Original Poster
Okay see this is upsetting because I bought what I was told to uggghh but the basking light bulb is 60 watt and I’ve tried feeding fruits greens she won’t eat anything the people at pets mart say try wax worms so I got those nothing I was told the reptisun 10.0 is a good uvb light is that true? Uhm I’m trying to temporarily fix the solution until I can go buy a bigger tank and stuff

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes if you go look at the links I posted the Reptisun 10.0 is the bulb -- and you need a higher wattage bulb --- bright white basking bulb Exo Terra has a 75 watt its not much -- but you must have the digital probe thermometer to get a accurate temp NO stick ons ---- they are inaccurate and only give ambient temps--- the reason why hes sleeping all the time is your temps are too low and relocation stress is going to play a factor in his behavior but you must start w/ your lighting --- he will not eat w/ out proper temps and UVB --- DO NOT LISTEN TO THE *****S AT PETSMART --- THEY HAVE NOT A CLUE AS TO TAKING CARE OF A DRAGON -- you have come to the right forum for good advice and lots of dragon owners here
Karrie

SPandS

Juvie Member
RebelBlondie24":23w2gh06 said:
Okay see this is upsetting because I bought what I was told to uggghh but the basking light bulb is 60 watt and I’ve tried feeding fruits greens she won’t eat anything the people at pets mart say try wax worms so I got those nothing I was told the reptisun 10.0 is a good uvb light is that true? Uhm I’m trying to temporarily fix the solution until I can go buy a bigger tank and stuff

Are you asking about this coil version or the tube version of the reptisun? The tube is the better of the 2 and if it's the coil only the 26w is good the 13w just isn't strong enough even in a 10 gallon.

RebelBlondie24

Original Poster
107696-2132488154.jpg
107696-1073775972.jpg
107696-8475399050.jpg

Ok!! Update so I went to petsmart and bought a deep dome light fixture and 75w red and white basking bulbs Plus the 10.0 UVB reptisun bulb. Is that better for the baby? Do you think she’ll start to be more active and start eating with the UVB in there now? Her basking side temp is at 101!and cool side 77-80 Is that suitable? Also how do you tell if they have tail rot and how do I treat it? Is it treatable? I attached pictures I believe Atleast it said I did lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please ditch the red bulb--- it disrupts the sleep and causes long term eye damage--- the temp is being taken w/ a digital probe??? You need a probe so you can place it on the basking spot- you want temps 105-110-- but it must be taken w/ a probe- the 75 watt white bulb is fine as long as that temp is 105-110 - the coil UVB is another story- you can use it since it's such a small tank but I recommend you get a bigger tank like 40+ gallon or bigger- then your going to need to ditch the coil-- they are no good let us know if he still is not eating - he will go thru relocation stress- but he should keep eating--
I want you to go back to pet smart and get crickets small - no more waxworms only use as a lure to salad bowl- I am goin to post a bunch of info later on feeding and where to get it from
Karrie

RebelBlondie24

Original Poster
It’s a tube not a coil now I went and got the tube one this morning I will definitely ditch the red light but what does she need on her at night? Anything? And what about the tail is that just it’s coloring or is that tail rot? Also I will be getting a 40 gallon and bigger wattage bulbs once I’m able to!! They were out of crickets when I went today also

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok get on line and order dubia roaches from here--- www.dubiaroaches.com.
Order some the size no bigger than between her eyes roughly I want you to post a better pic of the tail - it looks like shed but I want a better pic to make sure- I am going to post more info to help you in a bit I want you to get some butter worms nutri grubs as well order large for the grubs mixed for butter
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What did you get brand and bulb? What is the temps at nite? And how are you getting that temp? Did you get a digital probe to get accurate temps? Once you get a bigger tank let us know and we can help w/ bulbs the basking bulb -- if you got what I told you to get that UVB will go right into your 40 gallon tank ---- the UVB needs to be sitting on top of that tank - if its the T 8 bulb distance from the basking decor piece should be 8-10 inches w/ NO screen ---
Karrie

RebelBlondie24

Original Poster
I don’t run any lights at night because you said not to run red one and It was the night bulb also if she won’t eat crickets I read somewhere about force feeding or bottle feeding baby food or something any ideas on that to keep her alive?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is she eating anything at all now? Did you get the UVB set up and how is it set up ? Basking temps did you get them adjusted 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe? She will start to eat if these lights are in place and correct ----- what do you have to feed her? She should be offered salads every day
I need pic of the tank please https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic
Here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html you can use kale its a good staple feeder
Here are some websites for worms etc
https://symtonbsf.com/ BSFL they are a good staple feeder do not dust them and order large
https://reptilesupply.com/ you can get small super worms from these people along w/ roaches as well
Please answer all my questions so I get a better idea of what is going on---- you can feed baby food if shes not eating anything baby squash w/ some baby chicken make sure she is hydrated --- mix the food w/ water or you can syringe feed the water but do it slow so she does not aspirate
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is very cute! It is hard to tell from the picture if it is tail rot. It kind of looks like it is going
to shed. Is that correct on how it looks, or is the end brittle or dry? I just can't determine it from
the picture.
Sorry that you got so much bad information. Unfortunately, most of the pet stores don't have
the most accurate information. Most of the time, once you correct the UVB lighting, temperatures,
& overall condition, they usually start improving pretty quickly.

I hope she starts doing better for you!
Tracie

RebelBlondie24

Original Poster
She ate a little couple two bites of kale last night after syringe feeding her and watering her yesterday uhm I can’t find the thermometer thing you’re talking about to check temps at the pet store so what do I ask them for a temperature probe? :-/ thanks! Also thank you! For the advice and thank you she is so pretty in person I love her already hoping and praying she makes it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom