Help!!! Rapid color change, vomit, sunken eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdkinney

My bearded dragon was fine until yesterday morning she turned from her normal light brown to bright yellow with a completely black beard. She seemed to go back to normal yesterday until the middle of the night she turned back to the bright yellow and threw up for the first time ever. All day today she is the same yellow, very lethargic, and eyes are sunken in. I’ve tried feeding baby food, giving pedialyte baths, any advice is much appreciated can’t get into the vet for the next few days

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Post a pic of her - go to top of page in the banner click on user image uploader- then click on ximg at top of message box then click on pic it should post
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She definitely does not look good there, I'm sorry about that.
There is no way you can get her to see the vet any sooner?
I would say she is probably having kidney or liver issues, most likely. Those seem to be the
most common ailments.
Can you review your tank setup with us, such as the type & brand of UVB lighting, the heating
& temperatures as well as the supplementation & foods eaten, etc.
How old is she?
Since she isn't feeling well, try to keep her a little warmer overnight, somewhere around 75-80
in her tank if you can. Has she ever laid infertile eggs before?
Could she have ingested anything toxic that you know of?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Cdkinney

Original Poster
I can’t find any vets open sooner that can see reptiles hopefully I can get her in tomorrow she threw up again last night some more baby food. For tank set up I have her temps set up at between 90-95 on one side and around 103-110 on the other. I have a reptisun tube uvb mounted inside the cage. I keep a ceramic heat lamp on over night right now since it’s a bit cooler. She’s around 3 years old. I feed her super worms and Dubia roaches and baby food through a syringe. And yes she laid infertile eggs once before about 2 years ago

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Poor girl.

90-95 is too hot for the cool side. She needs to be able to cool down in her enclosure, ideally you want your cool end to be around 80. I prefer 75-80.

Since she's vomiting, you want to go easy with the food. But it would be a good idea to get some hydration in her. Especially if she's been too hot, she likely can be dehydrated. When is the last time she poo'd?

Try dripping some water on her nose and see if she will lick it up. Give her small amounts of water every hour or two as opposed to letting her drink a ton at once.

Does she eat the baby food readily?

-Brandon

Cdkinney

Original Poster
I have been trying to let her soak in the tub because with water she’s not too good with drinking it. She eats baby food from a syringe pretty much every day because she won’t eat greens so I add some vitamins and calcium to that and drop it on her nose but again last night she threw up the small amount I gave her. I added some mineral oil because she hasn’t pooped more than a very small amount in two days and pedialyte to try and help rehydrate her. The first time she threw up there were a few small pieces of super worms in it from two days before I just wonder if she’s also Impacted

Cdkinney

Original Poster
This morning she does not look as bright yellow and her eyes weren’t as sunken at first but have slowly gone back to it it looks like her vent is a little swollen and she’s trying to poop but nothing is coming out

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok,

Can you elaborate on your cool side temps?

The pedialyte is good to try to hydrate her. She isn't getting any hydration in the bath though unless she is actually drinking in it. I would still try dripped water on the nose a coupe times a day. Sometimes it takes awhile before it clicks with them.

What baby food are you using?

-Brandon

Cdkinney

Original Poster
I dropped her temps down to 85 this morning now. I will wait until she’s a little more used to it later today to go any lower especially if she’s stressed out I don’t want to give too much of a change she has been getting colder more quickly the past few days. If I have to I can open the side of her mouth and drip some water in as well if that’s what she needs. I've been using Beech Nut baby food. I switch between squash, mixed vegetables, and one other green one that I think has peas, green beans and one other green

SPandS

Juvie Member
It's not the one that is pea, green beans and avocado is it? If so when was the last time you fed it and how much? Avocados can be deadly to reptiles.

Cdkinney

Original Poster
No its not avocado I know they can't have that. I want to say its peas, green beans, and asparagus and she hasn't been able to keep down that or any of the sweet potato I tried. I've never had any problems with the baby foods I've tried until now. Got a vet appointment tomorrow morning though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing?
I am wondering if she possibly has egg binding issues? How long was she straining but not
able to go to the bathroom?
Please let us know how the vet visit goes. I hope she hangs in there long enough to get her
in. Do not let the vet overmedicate her. She does or could definitely use some fluids, possibly
a B12 shot, as well.

Tracie

Cdkinney

Original Poster
Was doing much better yesterday than before. Her color is back to normal and her eyes looked fine again with her beard back to normal. She tried to go to the bathroom just for a little bit but she tried it a few times. The first time she laid eggs she stopped eating completely and would try to dig in her cage but this time she just seems tired. She was very weak by the time she finally laid them and this was two years ago and didn’t lay any last year, but I’m always wondering if the strain from the first time did some damage because her back legs have always been weak since. Luckily the vet I take her to has been really great so I will hopefully find out what it is this morning.

Cdkinney

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I got the blood test results back from the vet today and it looks like she is anemic and her red blood cell levels are half of what they should be, and her white blood cell count is 2-3 times higher than what they should be. Her liver and kidneys look fine, however she has higher calcium levels possibly due to ovulation even though he felt no eggs. Possible respiratory infection too so she is on antibiotics. She is looking so much better, back to her normal color and looking much more alert with no more vomiting. I won’t be able to talk to the vet until tomorrow about ways to fix her blood cells and can’t find anything online about how to fix it does anyone know possible ways to fix that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom