Bearded dragon black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I got a bearded dragon about a month and a half ago and he’s been doing great! He eats live crickets and fresh veggies everyday, he has the correct UVB lighting and 103°basking spot. He’s a very happy boy.

For the past 3-4 days, he’s been very dark which is not like him. He sometimes hides in his cave during the day which is not like him, and just is almost constantly extremely dark/black. He turns back to his normal colors when he is taken out of the cage or later at night, about an hour before his bedtime. I’m just not sure if this is normal, or if he could possibly be sick even though he’s eating and still energetic.
If anyone knows what this possibly could be due to please give me suggestions. thank you!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the lighting -- UVB brand and bulb is it a coil or tube and where in the tank on top of screen or inside the tank????????? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stickons!!!
Please post a pic of the tank
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of the message box and then click on the pic it should post
He should not be constantly black he is in distress or pain
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That looks like his coloring --- I am assuming he lightens up --- what are your basking temps? Lets still go over the husbandry for him
Karrie

winniebean10

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3rewy7wy said:
That looks like his coloring --- I am assuming he lightens up --- what are your basking temps? Lets still go over the husbandry for him
Karrie

He normally isn't that dark, this is the darkest he's been since I've got him. Basking temps are between 100-105 and never is dark when he's basking. He is gaping when he is basking and sometimes when I take him out. This is him normally
107668-1747337440.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok gaping is good and your getting that temp w/ a digital probe? What about UVB if your using a coil that is not good
Karrie

winniebean10

Original Poster
KarrieRee":8bfqh034 said:
ok gaping is good and your getting that temp w/ a digital probe? What about UVB if your using a coil that is not good
Karrie

I have the stick on thermometer :/ I use the tube, reptisun t5 10.0 uvb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Stick ons are not good - you need to get a digital probe thats going to give you proper basking temps - you can get one from Pet Smart or Petco for $5 -- please get one --- the stick ons are not accurate and only give ambient temps --- great UVB where in the tank? Is it on top of screen or inside ? this is important
Karrie

winniebean10

Original Poster
107668-9768713796.jpg
KarrieRee":3vw92h1e said:
Stick ons are not good - you need to get a digital probe thats going to give you proper basking temps - you can get one from Pet Smart or Petco for $5 -- please get one --- the stick ons are not accurate and only give ambient temps --- great UVB where in the tank? Is it on top of screen or inside ? this is important
Karrie

Here is what his tank looks like. I'll get a digital probe tomorrow. As of now the UVB is on top of the screen.
He doesn't act like he's in pain or anything which is why I am confused. He eats everyday, he eats live crickets and fresh veggies. He is still basking, but the past couple of days he has had his moments where he hides in his cave but it doesn't last long. He is still energetic as well. Just has been very dark compared to how he normally is colored :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
winniebean10":28rmrjkr said:
107668-9768713796.jpg
KarrieRee":28rmrjkr said:
Karrie
Ok so you want the T 5 approx 6-8 inches from basking decor for it to be of any good - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays so you can leave it there just get his decor piece closer to the bulb --- NO cover on that fixture -
Here is what his tank looks like. I'll get a digital probe tomorrow. As of now the UVB is on top of the screen. Hes got a nice tank :)
He doesn't act like he's in pain or anything which is why I am confused. He eats everyday, he eats live crickets and fresh veggies. He is still basking, but the past couple of days he has had his moments where he hides in his cave but it doesn't last long. He is still energetic as well. Just has been very dark compared to how he normally is colored :(
Get the basking for the UVB adjusted then see how he acts along w/ his coloring - he is probably not in any pain but for some reason he might be in distress and I am guessing the UVB might fix that problem -- it is not uncommon for the to get lazy this time of year w/ the way the weather has been but that dark coloring is throwing me off -- if every thing else is fixed and good then we can look at something else for the dark coloring
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, they can change color for a number of reasons so it could just be his mood or going to shed soon.

winniebean10

Original Poster
AHBD":pq4rwflh said:
Hi there, they can change color for a number of reasons so it could just be his mood or going to shed soon.

Hello! Thank you for your response back. I read it might be shed but he just finished shedding about a week ago. I’m hoping it’s just his mood, only concerning because it’s been pretty constant that he’s that dark and for about 4 days now. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think he looks good. They definitely go through color changes throughout the day, simply
depending on their body temperature at the time.
As suggested, you will need to get a digital probe or a temp gun, to ensure the temperatures
are optimal for him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom