Is this mouth rot??

Status
Not open for further replies.
98230-1945321751.jpg
I was wondering if this looks like mouth rot on both sides of his mouth?? He is almost 9 months old and has this black now for a few days and has me worried.
98230-7296769451.jpg

This could be the start of dental disease. The black could be tartar and you may not be able to remove that yourself, but you can prevent it from spreading by brushing your beardies teeth with diluted betadine. You want it diluted to the point that it looks like super watered down iced tea. Dip a q tip into it and rub the q-tip on the sides of your bearded dragon’s mouth. Be careful your bearded dragon might open his mouth or try to bite the q-tip, don’t let them bite the stick Bc it will break off and they may swallow part of the qtip. Just brush his teeth daily and look up a YouTube video for a visual. And dilute the betadine.

michellekeim

Original Poster
Thank you. Sorry for late reply. I now have the betadine but not sure how to dilute it or how to rinse his mouth out after or even if I need to. I did watch a video on how to rub it on his gums.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can also get something called Maxi-guard online. But still, there's no real threat from a bit of stain on the teeth. It's good if you can use a very soft baby tooth brush so the beardie can't bite a piece off.

Say you have a container half the size of a 3 oz calcium container, so roughly a 1.5 oz container. You want to fill this up with about 90% water and 10% betadine. It should look practically look like water, but maybe with a brownish tint to it. Then you can dip one side of the q tip into the container and pull the lower lip of your bearded dragon’s mouth down a bit and gently rub that side of the q tip On the side of the mouth and then use the other side of the qtip to dip into the betadine solution you made and pull down the other side of his mouth a bit enough to get the q tip in and rub that side of his mouth gently. Then you can keep the container you made and do this daily so you aren’t having to keep making it, it should last a while until you need to make more diluted betadine solution! I hope this helps

No need to rinse the mouth after. I brush both my rescues teeth anytime after they’ve eaten! To make sure nothing gets stuck in their teeth. Dental disease is caused by cuts in the mouth or stuck food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom