Swollen area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anadoro

Hey guys! 1st time posting. I have a major concern and unable to take to vet right now.
My beardie seems to be in current burmation where shes not eating at the moment and just basking under her heat lamp and moves around as she pleases and takes her naps. Her color is normal (meaning her beard isnt black as when shes anxious or upset).
I noticed a slight lump where her tail starts by her legs, I didnt think anything of it until I think back to when it first may have started. A week later it looks bruised and swollen. I tried gently touching it and Dragon jerked away and I havent tried since!
It's probably been a week or a week and a half since shes had this bump but now 5 days since theres a bruised color. I've already ordered a special product for it I'll try to get pictures attached.
I freaked out thinking it's an infection but theres no where in her terrarium to get a cut or stabbed. The more I think about it I have noticed her climb up her foam brick wall that's placed as the siding and when she cant climb up all the way she just falls. Is barely 5 or 6 inches from where she falls onto her plastic log/perch so I'm thinking it might be a bruise?!
I thought I was doing good by trying to bathe her everyday and soak her for 30 mins....maybe too much water?! I keep monitoring her when shes bathing so she doesnt drown herself. I've stopped since I've read that its only recomend to bathe her once a week. I keep her enclosure clean! If she poops I take out her towels and wash! If she poops I shower her! She hasnt pooped cuz shes not eating this past 2 weeks. I'm only glad that she isnt eating much because I'm sure that must be too tender to apply any pressure while shes trying to have to go.
I'm waiting on the spray to come in by tonight!

107618-5263937754.jpg
107618-2836344070.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That looks like it might be tender. It doesn't look like she has prolapsed but something is going
on. Has she ever laid eggs before, or that you know of?
I don't think a fall of 5-6 inches should hurt her but is that a little bit of blood on a spot there that
I see & you just noticed it recently?
She isn't eating much right now, either?
The spray might help. You could try soaking her in a cool sugar bath, meaning just dissolve a
couple of teaspoons of sugar into some water & soak her hind end for a few minutes. That can
help reduce swelling in cases of prolapse, etc.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
107618-5329389782.jpg
Hi Tracie!
Thank you so much for your response!
I'm not sure if that's blood, I know it's hard to tell through the picture but in person the more I look at it the more i think it's a bruise but I cant explain how she even got it! My main concern is that it doesn't get infected but I dont want to do anything that can make it worse. I've removed any displays in her terrarium so theres nothing she can bump against. I've had her for 4 years and nothing has happened to her until now.
The spray has been delayed in transit unfortunately.
As far as prolapse, I've been examining the area and everything seems to be in contact, her scales arent open, no open sore/cuts. The small black spot just looks like a darkened scale now I noticed it yesterday evening. Nothing else is bulging out. Take a look at the images I took today.
107618-5329389782.jpg
107618-8574956213.jpg
107618-7356180022.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to see this happening to your poor girl. It looks like there may possibly be a abscess or growth under the skin there that is actually affecting the scales because it's pushing outward. I hope I'm wrong because that definitely will need vet attention. Best wishes for a good outcome.!

SPandS

Juvie Member
Could it be a bug, like maybe a spider, bite? Has it changed in size since you first noticed it?

Anadoro

Original Poster
Theres no bugs inside that could do that. I sanitized out her cage today once again and theres nothing in there. As far as the size this is the worst its looked. But it doesnt look worse than yesterday. When I think back about a week ago that's when I noticed a lump but not enough to alarm me until a few days ago where it turned a noticeable color. But since then it doesnt seem like it's gotten worse just stayed the same. I just dont have a a couple hundred to slap down on a vet visit. But if that's what it takes that's what I'll do as long as she gets the help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Now that you posted a few more pictures, I agree with AHBD that it does look somewhat like
an abscess or in the very least a bruise as you mentioned.
Perhaps she just landed too hard on something sharp that injured her as you had previously
talked about.
Do you have a vet you can get her to?

Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
Guys I seriously appreciate all your responses! I'm taking her to the vet today! Thank God the exam is free of charge! I'll give you guys an update as soon as we get back from the visit. Hopefully some day this post comes in handy for someone else especially with the pictures posted. I finally received the spray but only was able to use it twice before going to the vet so of course I cant post any update on the product!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How did the vet visit go for you? I hope it isn't anything too serious for her, poor girl.
Let us know how she is doing!

Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
I have to inject her with antibiotics every 3 days for the next week and oral pain reliever. She had a tiny abscess and the vet herself was shocked at how swollen she was for such a small amount of puss. She sent out 2 cultures so I should get results back in 5 days or so.
They wanted to send off her poop for testing to ensure she doesnt have parasites due to her not eating much right now.
But I know my dragon enough to know she does this every year, where she stops eating like shes in hibernation. The vet said it's too late for her to be hibernating, mind you some dragons dont have to be fully asleep to be in hibernation. So I'm not concerned about her not eating.
I feel so bad for putting her through what she went through. I can only imagine how she felt after getting that shot plus oral pain reliever. She was probably so disoriented but she remained calmed. She looked a little scared but as soon as I brought her home she just stayed under the heat lamp dosing off. I'm continuing to spray her with that product I bought since she does have an open wound now.
But even before the vet visit I did some research and typically healthy bearded dragons do create their own antibodies to fight off any infection. I just hope I didnt make it worse by taking her to the vet, if anything I hope it speeds up her process.
Like my brother said "Abscess sounds like infection. Swollen sounds like immune response."
The Drs main concern was to test to make sure the cells arent cancerous only because it was such a big swelling with such little puss that came out. My Hope's are that my little Dragons immune system was already fighting it off!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, that is not fun having to inject with antibiotics. How is she doing today?
That is surprising such a small abscess caused so much swelling, too. Any idea of how
that would have happened?
So the vet sent some cells off for culture, to be sure there is no cancer involved? I hope
not, poor thing! I hope her immune system is up. You can give some bee pollen & some
probiotics to help out.

Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
The vet called me to let me know the 1st culture came back! She just had extreme swollen tissue but nothing cancerous. Makes me think Dragon was fighting whatever infection she had on her own! I'm waiting for the other culture to ensure that the antibiotics that were given are the best ones for her....
This makes me a little hesitant to give her the current antibiotics now but I cant stop them now! Right?! I wont find out till next week. The vet did say that if the current antibitocs are working well then they're going to prescribe me a bunch more ?. I'm not dr but why?!?!
I'm not sure if you guys want a current picture? All it is scabbed over after the cut but the swelling is basically gone!

I seriously have no idea how she could have even got that abscess. Again, nothing in her cage that could have scratched her, no insects that bite her. You guys should see how she lives! Her home is lined with clean towels, if she goes on them then I take out the towel to clean! I try to take them all out weekly or every 2 weeks to wash them all even if she didnt go on any of the rest. I do think it may have been a bruise. After so many times climing up her wall and falling down on her log, I'm sure that has to be it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Everything sounds good, the vet was able to diagnose it and the meds. should help. I don't know that she really needs pain meds. but the antibiotx at least for a week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom